“Ask for the red room!”
Review of ARCOTEL Rubin

ARCOTEL Rubin
Ranked #61 of 322 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This hotel is centraly located near the main train station. The area might not be very appealing at first sight between kebap and sex shops. But there are as well some very good restaurants and bars to be found in the area. The hotel offers very modern rooms, with some of them designed according to a specific theme. We had the chance to be placed into the so-called red room, which for one night, was a very funny experience. Front desk was very friendly and the breakfast was excellent!
We didn't have the time to test the sauna area at the top floor. Overall a very good value adress in Hamburg.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2012

not far from the station you have to walk down a street full of sex shops and cinemas but there are no problems with this.On arrival we were offered an upgrade room which we accepted because there was a kettle in the room. Very big room with big shower and separate toilet. there was a safe and fridge in the room .breakfast was not included in the room rate and at 20 euros per person, per night we felt it was rather expensive. We bought friut and yoghurt at the lidl directly across the road.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carole034
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My wife and I went to Hamburg in December for the xmas markets and had a great time, the hotel is situated right near the train station and 10 minutes walk from the city, we were there for 3 nights and went out every evening and never had a single problem. To get to the city you walk through a street that has a lot of sex shops, but thats it, it isnt sleezy or dangerous and no one hassels you or even speaks to you. you can even walk around this street if you want.
The city is very nice we walked every where and visited the xmas markets and a few mueseums. the food is great and so was the beer, very cheap and the people are very polite.
We booked the hotel through Rail bookers and breakfast was included for a cheaper price than I could get on line,
If you are coming from the airport catch the train and walk its only 10 minutes from the station.

Room Tip: the room we had was a standard room and very quite
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cairns_family
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Spent three nights here. Excellent front desk responded promptly to my several oddball requests for service. Breakfast is a truly awesome buffet, best I've seen. Convenient to trains, with grocery, bank, pharmacy and many restaurants close by. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Kitsambler
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This hotel used to be may favourite when on business trip in Hamburg due to its proximity to the local office. While the quality of service and the standard of the room are quite good, unfortunately I will only rate it as average due to one and only reason: their internet which is rather poor. Until recently there was no wireless access in the room and the chair (without backrest) at the working desk make it impossible to last long working with a cable connection...
This is actually the reason why I stopped booking this hotel for quite some time ago now, due to the fact that I am mostly there for business and I need a fast and reliable (wireless) internet access for work related reasons. Which I couldnt unfortunately get at the Rubin. However, last week I have to book that hotel again due to the fact that my (now) regular one was fully booked. I was quite surprised (and delighted) to hear when I checked in, that they have upgrade the system to wireless access. It did work fine the first night, however, I experienced a lot of unstability the second night which meant (once again!) that I could perform my work as initially planned from the hotel room!
As I said, this is the only issue that I can think of that needs dramatic improvement at this hotel. The staff is great, rooms confortable, breakfast great. So if you can live without internet access, then you shouldnt be put off by this review.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2012

we are 2 friends that we were there for four night.It was very clean and room inside was very new and good.the location was near train station.
Service and staff were very good.If I will come back Hamburg I stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mehran p
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Arcotel Rubin in Hamburg is one the best value for money 4-star properties I've ever seen. The location is super-convenient to Hamburg's central station (an easy 10-minute walk) making it perfect for connecting to the airport via the S1 rail link. The hotel itself is SPOTLESS and my standard room was spacious, well designed and absolutely immaculate. I didn't have breakfast, but the bar and restaurant area are both beautifully presented. My only minor complaint was the tiny gym on the 7th floor: although the sauna and 'chill out' area were very welcome additions the fitness centre, the lack of equipment will be a disappointment for any 'gym junkie' business travelers. I also love the fact that this hotel is directly opposite a neighborhood supermarket, which is a giant bonus for restaurant-weary travelers. I am definitely staying here again on my next trip to Hamburg. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business