“Go when you are hungry....and thirsty!”
Review of Groninger

Groninger
Ranked #175 of 3,777 Restaurants in Hamburg
Price range: US$10 - US$23
Cuisines: German, Brew Pub
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Hamburg-Altstadt
Description: This property is temporarily closed.
Reviewed 12 May 2016 via mobile

We stumbled across this place almost by accident...and what a happy accident it was. It is a small brewery that serves traditional German fayre.

They have beautiful copper mash tuns that you walk past on your way to the table. The restaurant is in a vaulted cellar and is really atmospheric. You are sat at long tables and benches, each bench having a strange high chair sat at the head. The use soon becomes apparent when you see small barrels being tapped at the table.

The food is brought out on huge platters. It's all good....the service can be a little slow though but it is really busy. Recommend a visit.

Date of visit: May 2016
Write a reviewReviews (742)

Reviewed 29 April 2016

From outside it seems a normal restaurant but once inside you can see a very big restaurant inside tunnels.
Perfect for beer and meat.
I liked a lot decoration inside as per old tunnels.

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 21 April 2016

Local friends made reservations and brought us here on a Friday night. The ambiance is what you are looking for in Germany - an old cellar, red bricks, quaint paintings, etc. The beer was fantastic from the tap. The menu is absolutely traditional as it should be - I was shocked one of the reviewers felt the place was lacking because they only offered German food! What?! That is crazy-talk. The menu was absolutely what I expected of a German restaurant! I also don't know why people refer to this as the Oktoberfest of Hamburg. Maybe we weren't there late enough, or maybe they have never been to Oktoberfest, but it was nothing like Oktoberfest, in my opinion. Maybe they just mean the quaint, beer-hall experience. We had a great time there. The only real negative is that the waitstaff is rather rude. The greeter was rather rude to my friend upon arrival. She also turned out to be our waitress, and she couldn't be bothered to listen when we tried to order another bier. She brought some other bier, but we weren't going to let her drag down our fun, so we just accepted it. I would definitely say this is more for the tourist experience, but that is not a bad thing when you are a tourist!

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 5 April 2016 via mobile

We ate here as part of our business trip. Having eaten here before I had high expectations for the place. I was impressed again! Fantastic authentic German food with fabulous beer! The decor is perfect for the area and location. You must make time to eat here!

Reviewed 2 March 2016

Me and my friends took the 17 EUR meat platter per person and 80 EUR 20 liter beer keg. In this way you have a tap on your table and food is sufficient for 5 hungry guys. This gave us a good start start for the rest of the night. It is very nice when you have other people around. It never gets too noisy but it is cool when there is chatter. The place looks great and staff is very German! Much recommended.

Date of visit: February 2016