“WOW! My AirBnB host said "plain" Italian restaurant in the basement...”
Review of Ristorante Il Buco

Ristorante Il Buco
Ranked #9 of 4,099 Restaurants in Hamburg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: St. Georg
Reviewed 14 October 2017

So lucky for me I missed lunch and was starving at 6pm because on a Saturday evening I probably would not have been able to get a table at this amazing hidden gem ---I doubt it's so hidden any more --- of a restaurant! You need a reservation, if they take them on the weekend for sure. I literally just left there so first off compliments of the chef, wonderful bruschetta - bit of kick - fresh, yummy teased my appetite. I had a wonderful house pinot grigio. There is no menu so the charming waiter -- both of the men working tonight were nice guys --- sits at your table and tells you what is on the menu for tonight. It's so personal and nice. They let you have a half order of the starter plates and I had half order of the most incredible flavorful delicate veal stuffed half moon pasta in sage butter sauce. (My apologies to the amazing chef if I get any of my descriptions wrong!) I followed that with type of white fish, stuffed with herbs, cooked in balsamic vinegar - divine! AND without having read about it - I had to have desert and the tiramisu did not disappoint one bit and I am not a tiramisu dessert girl! I emptied my wallet trying to make sure I left enough tip so they would welcome me back!! I just found another 5 euros I missed - honestly all that for 41.9Euros before tip! Coming from San Francisco let me just say how much I appreciate the value of such an outstanding meal! Thank you chef, thank you gentlemen, thank you il Buco!

1  Thank Geeena

Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

This is by far the best Italian food we have had. As said in other reviews "a hidden gem ". Do order a table and enjoy this restaurant.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

This is a hidden gem. Value was exceptional, service was exception, food was great, and ambience perfect.

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

Wow that was a taste explosion ! Super delicious and high quality food! I love the Idea of having no menu. Also that they have extra surprise dish for veggies. Cappuccino =best ever. Just the tiramisu was considering the rest of the food a bit disappointing.
All in one a pearl in a cellar in St. Georg!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

What a lovely place! It seems that the restraunt is owned by a family. The restraunt has no written menu, however, it was a great and pleasant surprise that we were asked about our preferences and we discussed the best possible options for our dinner at least for 10 minutes in great detail. The restraunt has a very nice family atmosphere and delicious food, the wine is also good. I would definitely recommend this place.