“Very dated”

Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Darmstadt
Brisbane, Australia
“Very dated”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Was surprised that the outside was modern, but the rooms were last century. Believe it or not, they still have an old analogue CRT television in the room. Bed was uncomfortable too. A/c worked okay. Breakfast though was very good with a wide choice of food, as was the buffet dinner. I do not understand why they have left the rooms to get old and dirty...yes, there were stains on the carpet in the room.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AWBrisbane
maritim91, Manager at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for commenting on your stay with us. It was great to hear you enjoyed the dinner and that we helped you start your day just right with our breakfast.

Still I am sorry you were not entirely satisfied with your stay. We are aware that after more than 20 years not all signs of wear and tear can be mended or concealed. Therefore our housekeeping and technical staff are doing their best to keep all rooms and facilities clean and in good working condition.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you again on a future trip to Darmstadt and to provide you with our best services.

Thomas Liedl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The Hotel has an impressive glass outside, but when you enter a room it is no longer that pretty. The room interior and sytle is in my mind a little bit outdated. No LCD ro LED TV just an outdated one which fits the rest of the room, please see pictures.. The Bathroom with the showercurtain needs a serious update, jst discard the too small bathtup and make a proper shower cubical. The Breakfast was good with a nice selection. On the checkout the surpise, I asked during the checkin for a quiet room now I had to pay 15 Euros extra because I did not like to be directly on the railway. Sorry that was another disappointment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
maritim91, Manager at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank your very much for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I am sorry we did not do everything to insure a pleasant stay for you.

Naturally a hotel more than twenty years old does not have the same amenities and furnishings as a new or newly renovated hotel. For this reason all employees strive to do their utmost to ensure our guests have a pleasant time during their stay with us. Unfortunately that was not the case as our front desk employee obviously failed to inform you about the extra charge for the quieter comfort room when they offered you that particular room category. I sincerely apologise for that incident.

It would be my pleasure to welcome you again on a future trip to Darmstadt and to upgrade your reservation to a comfort room for free next time you stay with us. You may make arrangements with my secretary Angela Bauer. We will gladly provide you with our best services.

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here for four nights to attend a meeting nearby. Check-in was fast and the front desk staff were pleasant and efficient. The room was facing the railroad tracks (I knew this would be the case, as I stayed here once previously several years okay). The room was clean and of reasonable size, but the furniture was dated and the TV was an old CRT model. The windows are sealed well and keep the train noise to a minimum. But, the air conditioning was inoperable. I spoke to reception and they told me that they'd contact maintenance, but nothing was ever done. As a result, I had to leave the window cracked at times, leading to a lot of noise. The other issue is that there is no dead-bolt lock or securing device on the door. The door has a push-button which I thought would afford some additional security. But, one morning, the housekeeper walked in without knocking using her key. This was unacceptable.

Room Tip: Book a room facing the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
maritim91, Manager at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. We appreciate your feedback as it gives us better knowledge of our guest’s needs and wishes and thus helps us to fulfil these needs and wishes wherever possible. As a result of the colder temperatures at this time of year our air-conditioning is still set to heating.

I am very sorry about the disturbance by housekeeping and agree that walking into a guest room without knocking is unacceptable. I have been in contact with housekeeping immediately an advised them to follow proper procedure when entering and cleaning a guest room. Furthermore the door-lock is apparently not working properly. In order to repair that particular lock I would very much appreciate if you could let me know which room you were in. Please accept our apologies as we were not able to make you feel entirely comfortable and guarantee you a good night’s sleep.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you again during a future visit to Darmstadt, to provide you with our best services and show you the quality of our house.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights and found it to be a nice pleasant hotel. I arrived at 11pm and everything was fine with check in. The bar was even open to get a drink and something to eat. The room was quite large, with a over stocked mini bar, just to tempt you that little bit more :/ everything was good and would definitely stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
maritim91, Manager at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for your kind comment. All employees strive to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable. It has been a pleasure reading that we succeeded in making your stay with us most enjoyable.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again and to being your hosts during a future trip to Darmstadt.

Paris, France
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I just checked in to this hotel and this is my third review ever on Trip Advisor but felt compelled to share how disappointed I am with this hotel. If you are not a smoker, then run somewhere else as fast as you can. They gave me a room on the 7th (top floor), the elevator door opens and I am greeted with hot, stale, smokey air. It permeates the whole floor. I open my room, the odor of an umeptied ashtray. In all the travel I do, I can not remember ever making the effort to go down and try and understand if there is some type of mistake. No, it seems you can smoke anywhere. There are apparently rooms that are not non-smoking rooms and, of course, all the non-smoking rooms are booked. So I open my windows wide to flush out stench and decide to escape to the bar area for a light meal and some fresh air. No escape, everyone lighting up there too. Not too mention how old and tired and unclean the bar area appears. In addiiton, the area has not been modernized to enable you to plug in your PC, though the bar man was very nice to help me jury rig something (drag wires across the floor). Am only here one night an am very anxious to move on as early as I can tomorrow.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Darmstadt hotels

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Stayed one night on business. Check-in was very efficient, and the room was perfectly OK. Did not attempt to use the WiFi. The bar was still quite busy at 11pm midweek, and the breakfast room was very busy the next morning. But there was plenty to eat & drink. Check0out took a while. Overall, the hotel seems perfectly OK.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TWinster13
maritim91, Manager at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comment. As everybody on the staff does their best to make our guests’ stays as enjoyable as possible a positive feedback is always a source of motivation.

It has been our pleasure to be your hosts and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in a future trip to Darmstadt.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The best aspect of the hotel is the Airliner bus stop outside the entrance - 30 minutes "door to door" from Frankfurt airport at € 7.75.
Reception staff were friendly.
Hallway to bedroom stank of stale cigarettes, room was slightly better. Television was out of the ark. Couldn't access any wireless internet and the wired internet was only free for 30 minutes.
Double bed was two single beds with single bedlinen to match.
Bathroom looked tired, grouting needed cleaning as did the shower curtain and the toilet bowl.
Had dinner at restaurant Mezzo (Frankfurter Strasse).
Discovered that German trains run punctually through the night - note that the double glazing does not stop the noise.
Breakfast was expensive at €18 for what you got in terms of selection and quality.
Checkout was efficient.
If there is a next time in Darmstadt, I think I'll try the Best Western

Room Tip: Ask for one not facing the railway line !
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
maritim91, Manager at Maritim Rhein-Main Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear guest,

I am sorry we did not make you feel entirely comfortable. Naturally a hotel more than twenty years old does not have the same amenities and furnishings as a new or newly renovated hotel. For this reason all employees do their utmost to ensure our guests have a pleasant time during their stay with us. I do apologise for all cases of neglect, for example the cleanliness of your bathroom.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you again, if you decided to stay with us again on a future trip to Darmstadt, and to provide you with our best services.