“Good as always”

Hotel Cafe Nothnagel
Hotel Cafe Nothnagel
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Darmstadt
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Hi have grown up in this place nearly half century ago, it was a fine bakery, and whenever I have a chance to visit the area, this is where I stay. Unfortunately, it happens every ten years, or so, as I do not travel to Germany frequently anymore, having my residence on the other side of the world now.
However if you like a decent place not far from the highway, but quite, clean and not crowded with a gorgeous breakfast and a large selection from their own bakery, this is where you should stay. Everybody is friendly and helpful here. The rooms are spot-clean, though a bit outdated.
Do not expect luxury.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We always stay at this family run hotel when visiting Darmstadt as it offers a warm welcome and excellent service. The rooms are clean and the ensuite shower great. The beds are comfortable and we always sleep well as the rooms are quiet. The breakfast buffet is wonderful: pastry freshly baked in the inhouse bakery, fresh fruit, cereals and juices. You can order a basket of freshly baked rolls, and the friendly waitress will offer you a variety of hot options, cheese and meat plates etc.
The owner Martin Nothnagel is very helpful and knowledgeable if you need advice or local info. There are unexpected extras which you don't get anywhere else for that price: free use of a wonderful pool, a haven of peace; use of sauna and complimentary fruit and water!
Another asset is the tram in walking distance which will bring you to train station or Darmstadt every 15 minutes.
Overall a jewel of a place well worth a stay!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Due to the car show in Frankfurt, the Welcome and Maritim hotels in Darmstadt were booked. I'm glad this forced me to try something different.

The Nothnagel is a simple German family run hotel. My room was small, however it was organized in a very effecient manner, so it felt more spacious. The room was clean and a good value.

The free WiFi worked perfectly.

Breakfast was included and it was a good mix of made to order eggs, yogurt, pastries, cereal, meats, cheeses, fruits, juices and coffee or tea.

The people at reception were very helpful and patient with this non-Germany speaking guest.

It just so happened that I was there during the Onion Festival and despite the crowds on the street, my room in the back of the hotel was still quiet.

After 8:30p or so, reception is closed and you have to use your key on the side entrance to access the hotel. This isn't a problem at all, however if you try to check in late, you might have a problem.

The tram stop is a half block away. This will save you quite a bit on taxis.

I will stay here again, rather than pay 50% to 100% more to stay in Darmstadt.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LFPhileas
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My company use the Nothnagel every time we travel to Darmstadt, preferring to journey a few miles out of Darmstadt to Griesheim in order to stay at this friendly, family-run hotel, rather than stay in the chain hotels. The rooms are comfortable and always immaculately clean and tidy. Key things for me when travelling on business are a good night's sleep (comfy bed, quiet location), free Wifi, friendly, helpful staff/owners and a good breakfast. The Nothnagel ticks all these boxes. The family Nothnagel also run a bakery, which adjoins the hotel, so breakfast is always a treat and I have also been known to buy a few extra goodies to take home to my family - the pretzels are particularly good. The owner, Martin, is always extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming, which adds to the experience. My last stay was in August last year, but my colleagues have been as recently as April 2013 and once again returned home happy with the service they had received. I look forward to staying there again on my next trip.

Room Tip: We always ask for a quiet, non-smoking room and have never been disappointed
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I am writing this review because we chose Hotel Nothnagel over bigger hotels in Darmstadt based on other reviews, this was a mistake. The largest problem was that the hotel was renovating some rooms while we were there. They gave us rooms directly adjacent to the construction making it impossible to stay in the rooms during the day (after 9 am - before 7 pm). The hotel offered no apologies or concern about this. As we were only staying there two nights we stuck it out. Given that the construction will end let's move on to other concerns.
All my kids (9 and 6) want from a hotel is a pool. The Nothnagel does have a pool but it is quite small (not a big issue) but seldom cleaned ( a huge problem) with far too much chlorine in the water to compensate from infrequent cleanings. My son spent hours crying and complaining about his eyes after our only night of swimming in it.
Lastly the rooms, even the renovated ones, are quite small, even in Europe. The rooms are just bigger than the beds (which were good) and though the new rooms have nicer features you can barely get to them because of constantly having to shuffle around the beds.
Breakfast was good and the staff is quite nice.
The town of Griesheim is unremarkable especially compared to it's big brother Darmstadt.
Overall, I would stay in either Maritim the next time we decide to stay in Darmstadt.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank adyer12
Reviewed 4 July 2011

My wife and two children (aged 9 and 13) stayed with the Nothnagel family at their comfortable hotel for a single night on either end of our vacation in Germany. It was a short twenty minute drive from the Frankfurt Airport, and simple to find in the little town of Grieshheim (beside Darmstadt).

The room was very nice and big enough to sleep the four of us. As the other reviews say, the breakfasts are very good and the Nothnagel's are excellent hosts.

The attached bakery is a high point. Wonderful breads, pastries and coffee.

The children enjoyed the indoor pool as well.

My only suggestion is to book a room away from the street side as this summer they are doing work on the electric train tracks across the street and it gets a bit noisy early in the morning.

We would stay there again and highly recommend the Hotel Nothnagel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street side
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ModerateCdnFamily
Reviewed 29 August 2010

I had to go to work in Darmstadt area for 17 days in July and and had the pleasure to stay in this very clean hotel with great service and excellent breakfasts. They have their own bakery and offer a variety of breads and pastry they make on site. They also prepare eggs to order as well as usual cold cuts and cheese. It is near the streetcar, so getting into Darmstadt was quite easy. My room was quiet and clean and the staff was quite friendly and quite accommodating. There are several restaurants within walking distance, and Lusienplatz in Darmstadt is a short street car ride away. The bed was comfortable, and the air conditioning was quite welcome in this hot summer. Also, there was a nice window to open for fresh air. There is a pool and a sauna also, but it was so warm this summer that I did not try the sauna. The wifi internet connection was included for free and worked very well.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business