“Did not excel”

Ranked #2 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Switzerland
“Did not excel”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Our all time favorite (Louis C. Jacob in Hamburg) being fully booked, we decided to have our year-end break in Frankfurt. Our stay in the Villa Kennedy was ok, but I always think that at that level (in stars and price) I want to be stunned by excellence. Unfortunately, this didn't happen.
We had a very nice suite which included some amenities like the daily newspaper, free Wifi and free Pay-TV. So everything is nice, in theory. But I feel that things are done "by the book" rather than by a dedication to customer service. A few examples:
- We were asked which newspaper we wanted to have. The desired paper was delivered on Saturday quite fine. Now "our" newspaper has no Sunday issue, so I was wondering whether we'd get a Sunday Paper instead. But no, surprise, on Sunday we got the same paper again (see picture). We didn't read it a second time, though.
- Pay-TV never worked. We complained, were always assured it would work, and it never did. It's not that we cannot live without pay TV for three nights, but it irks me when this gets advertised and then nothign happens. It would have been nice to be offered some compensation like "Have a nice evening with the Minibar, it's on us." or something similar. But no. Nothing, which was a bit disappointing.
- Breakfast had nothing really luxurious either. Yes, there is a lot of stuff, even salmon, the epitome of luxury. But two people often get seated at minuscule tables (see picture), I've had more space in crowded trains, and if you end up next to the cupboard where the staff get plates and cutlery you can expeect a busy breakfast whithout any relaxing qualities. The other problem is that it is understaffed. The guys are working hard and do their friendly routine, but when he's talking to me while looking elsewhere, it's no five-star-service. Again, this is a management problem, there were far too few people to provide a luxurious service like asking whether we'd like to have another cup of coffee etc.

So, any positives? Well, yes. Breakfast on weekends is up to 14:00h, which is VERY nice. Haven't had this elsewhere, but would like to. And yes, everything else worked, but I feel this is not enough.

Overall, it's a luxurious place, which doesn't feel luxurious. It's more of a pseudo-luxury routine. It surely wasn't worth the money and next time in Frankfurt I'd try elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank UltimateAdvisor
RFHVillaKennedy, General Manager at Villa Kennedy, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear guest

Thank you very much for sharing your impression about your stay at Villa Kennedy on Trip Advisor. Your feedback has gratefully been received.

Even though I was very glad to read your compliments regarding your room and our lazy bird breakfast I highly regret that we could not fulfill your expectations at all. Regarding the wrongly delivered newspaper and the Pay TV I would like to take this opportunity and personally apologize for the lack of service and attention you experienced. Please rest assured that we are very concerned about the comfort and wellbeing of our guests and I am very sorry we could not provide the service we are proud for.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Villa Kennedy and show you that we really do strive for perfection in service and that we are able to provide you the most enjoyable and pleasant stay.

Yours sincerely,

Georg Plesser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We arrived at night and the concierge, doorman, front desk were super to take care of us and relax. We had an inside room and it was very quiet with a nice view of the garden. We checked in on 27 December and the woman who was the concierge that evening went out of her way to assist us, suggest a place to eat within walking distance and what to tour during our one full day there-kudos to her. The room was too warm for us & the front desk fixed it right away. We had made mistakes in the past with "layover" hotels that were awful. This was terrific, close to the airport and convenient to the center of Frankfurt for a quick walking tour/shopping.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
RFHVillaKennedy, General Manager at Villa Kennedy, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear guest

Thank you very much for taking the time of both, evaluation your stay at Villa Kennedy and your time at our restaurant Gusto.

I was delighted to learn that even you had the most enjoyable and pleasant stay with us and will be very happy to forward your lovely comment to my team.

If there is anything we could do to make your next stay even more comfortable, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Warmest wishes

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Just returned from another stay at the Villa Kennedy. Having stayed several times at the property in the last several years and having written three other reviews on it, I am still amazed at the flawless, consistent service from the hotel staff.
I arrived a day early on a morning flight, called the hotel and Eileen had a room prepared for me (7:00 AM) when I got to the hotel. They even had my special request (they keep on file) for an extra pillow and still water in the room.
During dinner Saturday evening (off hotel property) I called Bridget at reception and asked if she could place me on a list at very popular and hard to get in Frankfurt night club.When I arrived at the club, the doorman had been informed, and I was escorted in and even offered a complimentary drink.
To put it simply, this property "hits all cylinders" of what a five star property should be and does so consistently. They have become my gold standard for rating other hotels.
*You cannot go wrong with any of their room categories. However, the courtyard interior rooms on the first floors are really nice, especially in the summer as each has a small balcony.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear James

Thank you very much for again sharing such a fantastic comment about your experiences at Villa Kennedy here on TripAdvisor!

We hope you had a safe trip back Kansas.

It was a delight to read that you consistently enjoy your stays at Villa Kennedy and consider the staff and the service to be excellent. I was very glad to share you lovely evaluation with my team, especially Eileen and Bridget take very much pride in your fantastic feedback.

We are very much looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

With all the best wishes

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I arrived disheveled after a day of traveling and were immediately struck by the warmth and willingness of the staff. Check in was smooth, our room was large and comfortable with complimentary bottles of water at the ready. The bathroom had heated floor tiles, a large bath and pleasant smelling toiletries. The bed, like 99.9% of hotel beds in Germany, was comprised of two king singles pushed together but it was no issue.
Our stay included a buffet breakfast, which was the best we had had on our trip and included (but was not limited to!): pretzels and breads, a wide selection of cheeses, meats and cured seafood, pickles, tropical fruits, cereals, cakes and pastries. A sheet of honeycomb was also on offer which we thought was a nice touch! Other items such as egg dishes could be ordered off the menu. I was suffering from a sore throat at the time and the staff happily provided me with lemon juice and honey upon request.
At checkout the staff remembered details from our small talk the day before which again went to demonstrating the level of personable service I felt.

The location of the hotel was quite good; it took us about 20-30 minutes to walk from the train station and a similar amount of time to reach any sort of restaurant in the area (of course there is a restaurant on site, but I cannot comment on it unfortunately!)

I am unsure if this is the same for all packages, but in our case wifi was free for the first day and there was a charge thereafter. The speed on this first free day was restricted, however it was a highly stable connection I found.

If we were in the area again and looking for an upmarket hotel we would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laraonholiday
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your evaluation here on Trip Advisor, which has been gratefully received. Your time and your opinion are very much appreciated.

It has been a pleasure to read your fantastic comment and I already have passed on your praises to the entire team. Please rest assured that we take very much pride in your satisfaction and we are all looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at Villa Kennedy.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more comfortable, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Kind regards

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed for four nights over new year. What a fabulous hotel, but what makes your stay really amazing is the incredible service from absolutely every member of staff. Nothing is too much trouble and everything delivered with extremely friendly, prompt style. Every member of the team addresses you by name after you have been there two minutes! Loads of wonderful extra touches as well to make your stay truly unique. The highest level of hospitality we have ever experienced anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace if possible. Really lovely.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Neil D

Wow, what a fantastic feedback! I was very glad to read, that you had the most enjoyable stay and felt well taken care of. We take very much pride in your praises regarding the staff and service and it is a real honour for us to be named as the hotel with the highest level of hospitality you have ever experienced!

Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experiences at Villa Kennedy on Trip Advisor.

It would be a delight to welcome you back at Villa Kennedy in the near future. Please feel free to contact me at any time, if I can be of any assistance to you!

All the best wishes,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We were flying SQ from JFK to Singapore. We could not get a direct flight and had an 12 hour layover in Frankfurt. We chose to stay at the Villa Kennedy, which was a great choice. They have a special package for layovers which is wonderful. In addition, the staff is excellent, the food delicious and the location perfect. We arrive in the morning, and after a short trip from the airport and were treated to a yummy breakfast buffet. Then, we had our included layover massages and rested up before a walk in the city. Before we left that evening, we had a fabulous dinner in their restaurant. After a smooth checkout, we went on to the airport for our flight back to Singapore. This was a second stay at the Villa Kennedy and each time we have found it delightful. We look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear family

Thank you so much for your posting this wonderful comment about Villa Kennedy and our Layover Package. We do appreciate your time very much.

It was an absolutely pleasure to read, that even though you had quite a short stay at Villa Kennedy, you enjoyed every single second of it! I will be more than glad to forward your bunch of compliments to my team and I am pretty sure your words will make them beam with bride and area huge motivation for us to get even better.

We are looking forward to the honour of welcoming you back at Villa Kennedy or any of our Rocco Forte Sister Hotels. Please do not hesitate and contact us at any time for future enquiries.
Warmest regards to Singapore

Rottenburg am Neckar, Germany
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We just returned from two nights after Christmas in the Villa Kennedy. It was a great stay. The room was very comfortable and absolutely quiet. The underfloor heating in the bathroom was great. The service was impeccable. The breakfast was outstanding. The location is not perfect but ok. Wifi is now free in all rooms. Good Ren toiletries. Nice spa with good sized pool. Three suggestions:
1. A coffee machine in the room should be standard.
2. A bit more order should be imposed in children in the spa.
3. The parking fees, while charged by a third party, are outrageous.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas D
RFHVillaKennedy, General Manager at Villa Kennedy, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Thomas,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at Villa Kennedy, which is very much appreciated.

I was more than glad to read that you had a pleasant time with us and it was an honor for me to share the bunch of compliments within the whole team. We will consider your suggestions regarding coffee machine and SPA for the future!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Villa Kennedy or any of our Rocco Forte sister hotels in 2014!

With all the best wishes to Birmingham,