“Not 5* at all, very disappointing.”
Review of Villa Kennedy

Villa Kennedy
Ranked #2 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Frankfurt, Germany
“Not 5* at all, very disappointing.”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed at Villa Kennedy for the first time about 3 weeks ago & managed to get a good online deal for the week before Easter, so decided to stay again as it is convenient for the office.
As others have said, finding the reception, when coming from the underground car park, is difficult & exhausting with heavy luggage. On my second visit there was actually a doorman, but I declined his offer to park my car, having already had experience of the narrow spaces!
The welcome at reception was friendly on both occasions, but there was too much information on offer the first time & not enough the second time.
My first room overlooked the main entrance area, whilst there was some traffic noise, the worst experience was being woken every morning at around 04:00 by taxis waiting outside the entrance with their engines running. Not an issue if they are picking up fares, but they weren't.
The layout of the hotel is dreadful, especially when you consider most of it was purpose-built. As others have said, you are sent on a hike to your room, if you choose to use the lifts. Room numbering defies any kind of logic and signs were few and far between.
On my second visit I was "upgraded" to a courtyard room. It is marginally quieter than the room I had when I first stayed, but you are disturbed by the lights shining in all night from the corridors opposite.
Now for the rooms. Oh dear. Even overlooking matters of taste, these were not well designed or thought out. I doubt if most people would arrange their personal space so that it is impossible to open the drawers in the bedroom, when the wardrobe door is open or, for that matter, to have to play card shuffling with the bathroom door and the shower door.
The seating and desk areas reminded me of a student hall of residence in the late 1970s and there are not enough power points in the right places, especially if you have a coffee machine in the room, taking up space and an accessible power point!
The beds are also very uncomfortable with horrible bedclothes and not well made. Also the duvet covers are far too big for the thin duvets, tucking them in at the end of the bed may try to disguise that fact, but surely defeats the object of having a duvet?
The wardrobe unit in the bedroom is poorly designed and looks cheap, as do the reading lights over the bed and the desk light. Again, think student accommodation.
The bathroom was functional, but not luxurious by any stretch of the imagination and, for the space available, could have been configured in a much more ergonomical way, so that 2 washhand basins would have fitted easily - there is only 1.
I did eat in Gusto a couple of times and was totally underwhelmed. There are more than enough excellent restaurants within walking distance, so spare yourself bland, overpriced food, averagely cooked. I have not yet sampled breakfast, but the one morning I thought of trying it, I was put off by the nauseatingly sweet & synthetic smell coming from the buffet.
As others have mentioned, parking @ €27 per day - which is deemed to be 6 hours - is outrageous. Internet access is now free, but the wifi connection this visit has not been reliable.
It would have been nice, as an English native speaker, to have been told that BBC 1 & 2 were available in the room. I only discovered on the last night of my first stay.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
RFHVillaKennedy, General Manager at Villa Kennedy, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear traveller,

Thank you very much for kindly taking the time of sharing your impression about your stay at Villa Kennedy. We do appreciate our guest's feedback very much, might it be positive or negative, since it is an important support for us to keep improving our service and our product.

I was very sorry to read, that we have not been able to meet your expecations and you did not enjoy your stay at all. I already have shared your comment withing the management team and we would like to express our sincere apologies for the nocturnal disturbance. Please rest assured that I have spoke to our Head Concierge in order to remind the taxi drivers not to wait with the engine running!

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again at Villa Kennedy. Please feel free to let us know your personal room preferences at any time.

Georg Plesser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed here enroute to Asia and on our return. Very nice, clean well appointed hotel about 20 minutes from the airport. Had dinner at Gusto and very good food and service. Had a great deep tissue massage!

Room Tip: Reserved a suite and got an upgrade both times. Overlooking the courtyard on the second floor is qui...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear traveller,

Thank you very much for this lovely comment about your stay at Villa Kenney which has been gratefully received.

We are very glad to hear, that you had two pleasant stopovers in Frankfurt and enjoyed the time at Villa Kennedy. My team takes very much pride in your satisfaction and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Please feel free to contact us at any time if there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more comfortable.

Kind regard to Massachusetts,

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I loved arriving at this hotel, the building and entrance way are very grand but in an understated, gracious style. Inside, it is a great mix of old and new and trendy. My daughter and I had a room with twin beds with a really hip couch area, not your standard hotel room design. So a nice refreshing change. Professional and friendly staff, who greeted us by name by the second day of our stay. While not in the immediate downtown, the hotel is a short walk to the fantastic art museum with the great Holbein's restaurant - highly recommended for dinner.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

It was great to read that you and your daughter had a fantastic stay at Villa Kennedy. I was very pleased by your compliments about our building, interior design and especially about our team, which I certainly will share with my colleagues.

Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your opinion! We are very much looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Please do not hesitate and contact me at any time, if I can be of assistance to you in the future.

General Mananger
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This hotel used to be a property owned by the Kennedys. Very nicely appointed room in what feels like suburb and Frankfurt near the main river. We were able to walk over to the river and walk by and admire all those lovely museums. Apparently they are closed on Mondays and that was the only day we were in Frankfurt. My eyes were salivating over the large Emil Nolde exhibit sign on one of the museums.

The Italian restaurant in the hotel is decent if not memorable. The staff is friendly and helpful without being intrusive. The temperature control was a bit annoying since it would not get cold enough at the lowest setting and our room was right over a freshly fertilized rooftop bed of plants so we couldn't open the windows without insulting our olfactory senses.

Overall, I would return to the hotel if ever in Frankfurt again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sunny W
Dear Sunny W,

My sincere thanks for posting this lovely comment about your stay at Villa Kennedy. We do appreciate your opinion and your time very much.

It was a real delight to read that you had a pleasant stay however I am sorry that you had not the possibility to visit some of our fantastic museums here in Frankfurt. On your next stay do not hesitate and contact our concierge team, who always has some fantastic ideas and the best insider tips for your excursions!

Looking forward to be welcoming you again in the future at Villa Kennedy or any of our Rocco Forte Sister Hotels.

Kind regards to sunny San Francisco,

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Villa Kennedy... A name that has history!
Great place in Frankfurt, in a residential area.

Reception: smooth check-in, I checked in very late (after 23 hrs), so there was no-one to accompany to my room, but I ran into this very young friendly staff member, whose shift had ended, but volunteered to bring me to my room. Nice!

Bar: great staff! Young, friendly, good-looking (yeah I know, maybe not important, but don't we all like to be surrounded by beautiful girls and boys?), ànd good in doing their job!!

Breakfast: great buffet, and the smile and optimism of the Maitre just made my morning blues fade away in a second! Great to see someone who is so joyful doing his job! Other staff was great as well, but they should copy a bit of the Maitres' positivism.

Rooms: I had room 329, size: ok. Decor: could be improved. The furniture does not really reflect the luxurious feeling one should have in a 5 star hotel. I did not hear any sounds from outside, but I did hear some slamming of the doors in the hallway. Very annoying. Think the only solution is, to add an extra door in the hall of the room.

Spa: GREAT! Love the pool!!!!! Sauna and steam room are nice, also very nice that there is a rest area outside on a terrace.
But the most important: the treatments. I can be very short: book a treatment with Raphael. Really.
His strong hands, warm personality, and his to-dy-for smile are the main reason for me to come back to Frankfurt. Best massage I have ever had. And Raphael is just soooo nice.

Would I stay here again? Yes!
And leaving this hotel, without having a treatment by Raphael, is like going to Paris and skipping the Eiffel Tower.
So book him, tip him, and send him my regards :-).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CCLGRS
Very nice place to stay!”

Reviewed 1 week ago

Villa Kennedy... A name that has history!
Great place in Frankfurt, in a residential area.

Would I stay here again? Yes!
So book him, tip him, and send him my regards :-).

Dear guest,

On behalf of the team I would like to thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your impression about your stay at Villa Kennedy. We do appreciate your feedback very much.

I was very glad to read, that you had the most enjoyable stay and it was a real pleasure to share your compliments within the team. Especially our Maitre and Raphael were absolutely amazed by your praises!

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back at Villa Kennedy in the near future. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more comfortable, feel free to contact me at any time.

Kind regards and all the best wishes for the Easter time,

Ulm, Germany
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Everything about our stay was perfect - the room, the service by all members of staff and the food and drink both in the Stables Bar as well as breakfast in the restaurant.My wife had arranged a romantic turn down while we were at the theatre and it was beautifully done.Thank you to everyone at The Milestone for making our first stay so special, we will be returning!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank boris r
Dear boris r,

thank you very much for this lovely comment, which has been gratefully received!

We are very happy that you had the most enjoyable stay and are very much looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards and a lovely Easter time,

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Business, pleasure, it doesn't matter, the Rocco Forte group really know how to take care of travelers. The properties are luxurious, fit in well with the surroundings and have spacious rooms that are really well appointed. The Villa Kennedy retains the facade of an historic building but the property itself is modern and designed for comfort. Service was friendly and efficient throughout the property. We ate breakfast and dinner at the restaurant. The menu and wine list were excellent. The restaurant itself was comfortable and beautifully designed. Food was wonderful. All processes throughout the hotel were efficient and unobtrusive. Sir Rocco Forte could show other luxury hotel operators a thing or two!

Room Tip: Rooms that face the courtyard have the prime view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank allidoistravel
RFHVillaKennedy, General Manager at Villa Kennedy, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the team I would like to express our warmest thank you for kindly posting this fantastic feedback on Tripadvisor.

I was very glad to read your wonderful comment and we all truly take very much pride in your satisfaction.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at Villa Kennedy in the near future. Please do not hesitate and contact me at any time if I can be of assistance.