“There is a reason why this is tripadvisor #1”
Review of Apartments Duval

and 1 more site!
Apartments Duval
Reviewed 9 October 2012 via mobile

Excellent rooms, plenty of space and a good shower. Breakfast was included.

The rooms are very secure and private without any road noise. We barely saw anyone else in the building. It was very clean.

Location is about a 10 minute slow walk from the main train station but worth it to get away from the junkies and prostitutes.

I would definately stay here again if I return to Frankfurt.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank GMilhouse

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Well, this was our 2nd time staying at this property (July 28th-30th) and for good reason. As was the case during our initial visit in July 2011, the property was still fantastic. This time around we were given a unit facing the River Mein, which was beautiful.

The unit was very clean, spacious with extra high ceilings and a cozy bed. Once again, the kitchenette was functional and came pre-stocked with numerous food items, such as orange juice, milk, bread, cereal, etc.

Our contact, Zoran was once again, very pleasant to deal with. While there is no A/C, there was a fan in the unit, which proved very useful. Wifi was also available, which was a bonus. The location is perfect for a short walk into the city centre and other local attractions. I would certainly recommend this property to anyone wanting a nice place to stay while visiting Frankfurt!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The place did not look appealing from the outside when I arrived in Frankfurt but I was overly satisfied when I left. The owner stocked up the cabinet and fridge with food. Great balcony overseeing the river, wifi was relatively fast and room was spacious.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Hyqel
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I booked two nights stay at the Duval apartments through booking.com. I was really surprised at how expensive hotels were in Frankfurt and this seemed like the most reasonable and convenient place to stay and I'm glad we did.

The owner, Zoran, met us at the building and showed us to our room. It was quiet, comfortable and clean - everything you need from a room. We had two single beds, a small kitchenette, tv and bathroom.

The cupboards were even stocked with bread, cereal, jam, and the fridge with water, butter, orange juice and milk so that was breakfast sorted!

There was wifi available which was great and at no extra charge which was very convenient too.

The building is close to the river - there are nice bars and restaurants at the other side of the bridge and well worth a little stroll.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AyrshireTatties
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Have been in several cities in Europe which means I have stayed in several hotels...this is by far the most comfortable!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank BigAl1029
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Our accomodation at Apartments Duval was very good. The entry way and stairwell is a bit dreary but the apartment did not disappoint us. Hardwood floors, kitchenette (thoughtfully stocked with coffee, tea, jams, butter, milk and bread), comfortable bed. It was clean and quiet. Located near the Jewish Museum with great access by foot to many of Frankfurt's attraction. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Canadian_Ramblers
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Apartments Duval are basically serviced apartments, and I stayed here for 10 nights during a business trip. I was travelling alone, but was glad I'd booked the spacious double room overlooking the river. It's a lovely outlook, even if there is a busy, noisy road right below the window. The windows are double-glazed, so you can shut out the noise. However, I was there during a heatwave and, despite the fan in the room, I wanted to leave the windows open. The traffic noise didn't really bother me, but I imagine it would trouble some people. If so, ask for a room at the back when you make your booking.

The location is wonderful. It's less than 10 minutes walk to the central railway station, where you can arrive by a short train ride from the airport, and which is also a metro station and hub for buses and trams. The apartments are also about 5 minutes walk to the Willy-Brandt-Platz metro station, and about 10 minutes to walk along the river to the charming old town and the main shopping area that's behind it. There are also buses running along roads parallel to the river, just a couple of blocks from the apartments, so it's incredibly convenient for getting around. You can even catch a canal cruise boat from moorings just a short stroll along the river.

My double room was very comfortable. It has two single beds pushed together (with a gap between the mattresses, so it might not be perfect for a couple), but I found the bed comfy and I slept well. There was plenty of cupboard and draw space, and a good sized desk. You can buy wireless internet access via FON wireless, which is reasonably priced and fairly reliable.

There's a kitchenette in the room, which comes equipped with utensils and cutlery, as well as a good sized fridge. The bread, orange juice, milk and a fruit basket on arrival were a lovely surprise.

The bathroom had a bath, with a shower outlet above it. The towels were changed and rubbish removed daily, though don't hope they'll come back to do your room if you're not ready when they first knock. If you happen to be in the bathroom and call out for them to wait "fünf minuten" (ie. 5 minutes), they repeat it back but then don't return till the next day!!! The hard wood floor seemed to be mopped daily, which was good. I was a little disappointed that my bed linen wasn't changed even though I stayed over a week, but I had a lovely surprise one day to return to my apartment and find that the two bags of laundry that I'd been accumulating (but that I hadn't yet had a chance to take to the laundromat, about 5 mins walk away) had been freshly washed, and either dried and folded, or left hanging to dry. That was really a lovely bonus :-))

My only hesitation about recommending this place is that they didn't take credit card for payments. If you're travelling for work from a country that works with a largely cashless economy (especially for large transactions) or if you work for a boss who expects you to pay with credit card and be reimbursed later, this can be a problem. Likewise, if you don't want to carry large amounts of cash when travelling, or don't want to pay big fees to use overseas ATMs, having to pay in cash is a real negative. The owner kindly allowed me to pay in advance by bank transfer -- which I appreciated as I'd otherwise have had to stay elsewhere due to this issue -- but even this wasn't ideal. Not only was it fiddly to organise (my employer required me to pay from my personal account before I could be reimbursed, which I guess is OK if you've got load of spare cash lying around...), but the fees were huge. I was charged large fees when I made the transfer, only to be met with the unpleasant shock of another €30 fee on arrival at Apartments Duval. This isn't the fault of the owner, who was passing on a fee he'd been charged by his bank, though he seemed upset with me when I suggested that it would be helpful to future guests if credit card or PayPal could be used to pay. He later said they're considering allowing credit card payments, and I hope they do. While this isn't an issue for everyone, all sorts of hassles could be avoided for some guests if Apartments Duval simply accepted credit card or PayPal. Even if they passed on the fees of doing so, it would be much better for some guests than requiring cash payments.

The credit card issue was really the only thing that would make me hesitate before recommending Apartments Duval. So many other things were great: location, living in a residential block rather than a hotel, friendly emails when I booked and before I arrived, the fruit basket and breakfast supplies provided on arrival, and returning to find my laundry done for me. What more could one ask for?

Well, there was one other thing that I really appreciated. That was that my long haul flight (23 hr from Australia) arrived at around 6am, so the owner offered to meet me at the apartment to check in at 8am. This was on a Saturday morning! When I arrived, my room wasn't yet ready, so he let me use a single room to rest until my room became available. How nice was that!?! Having seen the single room -- which would be OK for a short visit but not so pleasant for a long one -- I was very glad I'd booked the double. And I was hugely appreciative of this kind gesture, letting me check in immediately rather than making me wait around half the day before being able to do so.

I really felt the owner and his staff go went of their way to make one feel welcome and comfortable. I enjoyed staying here, and if it wasn't for the inability to pay by credit card I'd recommend Apartments Duval wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Book a double room as they're nicer. If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room at the back...