“The Best of Frankfurt”
Review of Dialog Museum

Dialog Museum
Ranked #30 of 440 things to do in Frankfurt
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Frankfurt is a wonderful city full of museums and great old building. But the bet thing we did was the Dialog Museum which simulates being blind by walking through many different sensory experiences. You are not blindfolded, but led around totally dark rooms by a guide who, himself is a blind person. Using a cane, his voice and sometimes a wall you can experiences being outside in the woods, a street, a food market, a cafe where you can order food and snacks and even a boat ride. This is a one of a kind experience that I would recommend for everyone. Guides are in English upon request.

2  Thank Ellen W

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Dialogue in the Dark museums have been popping up all over the world. Until recently, I had never heard of it. While visiting a friend in Frankfurt, she and her family took me to it. To sum up my experience in only two words read the title.

I was blown away!

Dialogue in the Dark is a museum that is completely blacked out. You are, essentially, blind for one hour while you are lead through the center with a blind guide. We went with the entire family, from ages 8-45. I didn't speak German, so our guide did the tour in both English and German for us. We experienced everything a blind person would, from navigating a busy street, outdoors complete with moving bridge, and listening to music through sound and vibrations.

It was very disorienting at first, but the guide was very good at teaching us how to find our way in the dark. It was shocking how quickly your other senses adapt to the loss of one. It took some time to adjust back to being able to see after the tour.

Reservations are necessary to enjoy this wonderful exhibition. Do go, it's a once in a lifetime experience!

1  Thank Taylor M
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I visited the museum yesterday and loved the experience! It was in fact the highlight of our time in Frankfurt. I don't want to give too much away so I will just say it's an experience that will make you think and view the world in a different way. Our guide Andy was the perfect guide! He speaks perfect english and has a great sense of humor. He was kind enough to answer all of our questions and share his personal experiences with us. He is a great human being and we will always remember the experience we shared with him. We highly recommend this museum!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I felt a bit apprehensive when I heard that it would be pitch black inside the museum. We were a group of 7 people but one of us decided, in the first room, that she would like to leave since she felt very uncomfortable. It definitely does take some getting used to and I was close to leaving at first. We were then told that there is an exit door in each room so I felt a bit more comfortable. The experience was amazing - we went through a 'park' with bench and mini hanging bridge, walked passed a waterfall, had to cross a railway track etc. Our blind guide, Dorothee, was very nice and had a good sense of humour. She explained where we had to walk and what we had to do and was always there if we needed help. At the end of the tour you arrive at a bar in the dark where you can order nibbles and drinks and sit down. All in all a very interesting experience which gives you an insight as to how you experience things without being able to see.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is a great alternative to a traditional museum experience. It is fully immersive and you spend roughly an hour and a half with a guide learning what it is like to be blind.
You spend this time in complete darkness and completely dependent on the tour guide, which some other guests found difficult at first.
You travel around different sensory areas; a park, a city and a noise area (I wont give away too much).

A definite must! My only complaint was that it seemed to go too fast. I really enjoyed spending time talking to our guide and learning about his experiences. I have a feeling that I will be visiting regularly with all my guests coming to Frankfurt.

2  Thank HSed22