“Great ambiance”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Innenstadt
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stopped by here before the Germany vs Brazil World Cup 2014 game.. Gorgeous, intriguing setting. Waitress was very helpful in suggestions on selections. The food was to die for. We had the Grilled tender chicken breast, topped with pineapple and glazed with Swiss-cheese,on Swiss potato fritters (Rösti)and green leaf salad that was absolutely delicious. Prices were reasonable by European standards.

The setting is very interesting. Lots of jazz figurines. The waitress was very helpful in giving us a little history of the restaurant & the story behind all the jazz figurines. She was also very nostalgic, apparently the place is closing down, the owner of the building not renewing the lease after some 30 years. So go enjoy it and judge for yourself. We we treated kindly, our meals did not take long at all & we were not cheated on our bill.

Go enjoy.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I found this restaurant from another forum, which recommended it as a good Frankfurt restaurant. It was over 9pm. I did not want to eat too much so I decided to share menu item 89 with my husband. We were given an English menu as we don't speak German. Item 89 is Crispy roasted knuckle of pork (Schweinehaxe) served with soured cabbage (Sauekraut) and pan fried potatoes for Euro 13.80. However, when we got the bill, we found that we got charged 13.80 for knuckle of pork (Schweinehaxe), 7.8 for soured cabbage served with pork (mit Sauerkraut), and 2 x 4.20 for sharing food, which means we had to pay Euro 30 for item 89. We questioned about the bill. The waiter explained the 2 x 4.20 was for extra plate because we shared the pork and we needed to pay for that, and the soured cabbage was always an extra charge in German menu, which we did not believe so. This was not the only restaurant in which we ate in German, but the only time we got such a bill. So we talked to the boss of the restaurant, who does not speak English. With the help of a local customer, we got refund Euro 8 for the soured cabbage charge. But we left Euro 7 for tips. Frankly speaking, the pork tasted good. However, how we got billed was awful. Here I just wanted to share our experience. Make sure to double check your bill, all foreign travelers.

2  Thank 4inbi
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

This place serves ok food but DINER BEWARE!!!
The waiters are CROOKS!!! Especially if you're a foreigner or look like a tourist.
They will serve you a "platter" meant for two persons and charge you as a 4 person platter!!
I think their system is such that the waiter "pays" for whatever he has taken out of the kitchen at the end of the day. So, whatever he "sells" what he has taken out of the kitchen at whatever exorbitant price is his extra profit.
I have been to this place for many years and always took the charges for granted until it started to get quite expensive...

PLEASE SCRUTINIZE the check/bill and COMPARE against the menu prices!!!
They are very frequently "mistakenly" wrong!

2  Thank ew388
Reviewed 28 March 2014

After some busy shopping at goethestraße, I headed down to Das Wirthaus, because my Frankfurt iPhone app recommended it. I had the shrimp cocktail, which was very nice, and the Wurst Platter, which consisted of 3 different sausages. My meal was nice, hot, and the service wasn't slow. The staff was especially very pleasant and attempted to strike up a conversation and tried speaking my native language to me. They also were eager to help me out when I asked about traditional Frankfurt food and directions to a local attraction. I would definitely visit again, as it seems like a friendly atmosphere.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have been to this restaurant frequently over the last 15 years. The food is decent. Over the last few months, I was informed by my colleagues that the staff in the restaurant has become rather dishonest in their billing. Today I experienced it first hand. Our party of 4 went there for lunch and had a Schweinshaxe ( pork knuckle) each. The price on the menu was €13.80 per serving. When the bill came, we noticed that we we charged €20 for each meal. When we queried the waiter, he conveniently produced another bill from his wallet which priced the meal correctly. We paid for the total amount shown in the second bill. It as only later on upon further scrutiny of the bill that we realized we were still overcharged by €4.20 in the second billing.
It is a great pity as this was one of my preferred restaurants in Frankfurt. I would caution everyone who visits it to be extra careful.

1  Thank MCMLee