“Floor plan is usually complex”

Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #56 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Services in this HI Express reflect the standard Express pattern in Western Europe - including a self service breakfast free-of-additional-charge. The hotel has been opened in a renovated office building. As a result, the floor plans are somewhat complicated - in a way one could imagine encountering in an old hotel property in London, UK. From the elevator hall the floors can be entered on both sides. What may bother the guests is the fact that the floors have automated light control systems. Literarally, the guest must walk into darkness - and sensors will then trigger on the lights. The same applies when opening the room door.

I stayed in this property twice during a Frankfurt trip. The light problem bothered me during the first stay, but I did not take up the matter with the front desk. During the second stay (some days later) some lighths seemed to be on permanently. Perhaps someone had complained.

I have encountered a similar lights-upon-sensor-activation in a Holiday Inn in France. Perhaps some EU energy funding is available to properties with maximum light and energy control.

Rooms with windows to the backyard open an interesting view to a seemingly low end rental house. With lights on in the evening, the house seems to comprise one room units with rather modest facilities. I am aware of the fact that the German rental market offers variety, but I would not have connected such housing scene with downtown Frankfurt. Some guests may think they are in an Asian location. No, but the tradition of "Hinterhoefe" (back yard) is alive and well behind of updated facades.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Maitland55

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I am a frequent travel to Frankfurt, staying in the area around the Hauptbahnhof. This means that I have become accustomed to postage stamp sized single rooms, with an even smaller bathroom.

This was my first time staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hauptbahnhof and it was definitely a very mixed experience. Frankfurt has been suffering unseasonably hot weather this summer and that prompted me to change my reservation from an un-air-conditioned hotel to the HI which was air-conditioned. More about that later.

The good:

The location is only a few blocks away from the train station and a couple of blocks away from the red light district, far enough that it isn’t an issue. There is a reasonable selection of restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Elbestrasse is a relatively low traffic, quiet street.

The room was more than amble for a single room in Frankfurt. The bathroom was also larger than typical for the area; it was shower only, with no tub. It was clean and well maintained – the hotel is only a couple of years old.

Internet was included in my rate, it is €5 per day otherwise. I would categorize it as being of adequate speed.

There was a reasonable selection of cold items, cereal and pastries on the breakfast bar which is included in the room rate.

The desk staff was helpful and professional through-out my visit – including the issues that follow.

The Not So Good:

I checked in on a Sunday and internet was not available until late on Monday. There was some type of technical issue and I suspect nothing was done to address the issue until Monday.

The reason I was staying at the HI was the air-conditioning. It ceased to work on Friday. I persevered until Sunday, when I made alternative reservations and checked out. Again, no work was performed on Saturday or Sunday, with only vague promises that it would be fixed on Monday.

When I checked in, my credit card was charged for the room rate for the entire length of my 12 day stay. I was assured that any unused nights would be refunded, should I check out early. This is the only time I have encountered this practice in Frankfurt on a cancelable reservation – pre-authorizing - yes; actually charging – no.

This did present a problem when I went to check out early. As I understand it, because my reservation was made through a travel agent, the system would not permit my checking out early due to problems with refunding the commission on the already charged balance. After some firm, but cordial conversation, the desk clerk refunded my unused portion and said she would “sort it out” later.

Conclusion:

Oddly enough, the technical issues notwithstanding, I will almost certainly give the Holiday Inn Express another try. The location, cleanliness and reasonable rate are enough to warrant the risk that the issues were a one-time occurrence.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear EasyMark,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Hotel!

We really appreciate your understanding and sincerely apologize to you for the inconvenience caused by the technical problems which occured during your stay with us. Our air conditioning system got out of order due to extreme heat, not typical for this area which was there for about two weeks and as you have mentioned was fixed on Monday as the problem was quite global and needed professional assistance which was not avaliable during the weekend.

I am really happy that you are ready to give us another chance to welcome you again! It means a lot to us and I can assure you that we will do our best to make up for the inconvenience and make your stay with us trully enjoyable! We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

we stayed in this hotel for a night. It has all the necessities you need of a hotel. Free breakfast, nice shower system, nice bed, great location to the main train station as well as city centre. Reasonable price!

Definitely will stay at holiday inn's hotels again!

• Stayed: July 2013
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Dear MiTa527,

Thank you for your review!
It is great that you took the time to write about your experience with us!

The opinion of our guests is extremely important for us as it helps us to get better and to keep the quality of the service on the high level-so it makes us really happy to get to know that you had a pleasant stay at our Hotel! On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt -City Hauptbahnhof and to express the hope that we will welcome you again during your next visit to Frankfurt!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I stayed for one night in Frankfurt in this hotel and I really enjoyed the experience. Nice rooms with AC, very clean and a great breakfast. The location is excellent. If it had free wireless, it would be just perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear travelerout,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our Hotel!
It is a real pleasure to read such feedbacks from our guests!

Regarding the free Internet access, I would highly recommend you to join our IHG Rewards Club as it will give you an opportunity to use all the multiple benefits specially designed for the members of this program. As an example, in our Hotel all the Gold and Platinum members are enjoying the free Internet access and a 10% discount on the beverages in our bar. Nearly all IHG Hotels all around the world have something special to offer to our IHG Rewards Club guests. I sincerely hope that we will to see you again in the nearest future and wish you all the best for your upcoming trips!

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The location of the hotel couldn't be Any better.
It was 5 mins from the main train station so if your flying in its perfect.
The prices weren't bad either.
The receptionists were always nice and kind.
The best one was Viktor easiest one to talk to there and was really good i would go back just because of him.
Only few complaints air conditioning really didn't work.
Sucks no free wifi but the free breakfast was ok.
Very clean place worth the stay if your paying around $100 a night

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Rovard S,

Thank you so much for choosing Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof and your positive review on tripadvisor.com!

It is the biggest praise for us to get such feedbacks from your customers! Our staff members are doing their best to make our guests feel at home and it means a lot to them when the guests notice their efforts. I am sure Viktor will be delighted to read your review and will really appreciate that you took the time to write it!

I am very sorry you had bad experience with our airconditioning system and I should admit that we really had some issue with it during your stay with us, but it was fixed in a short time and is now working perfectly so we are ready to welcome you again during your next visit to Frankfurt!

I wish you a great day!

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Got a priority club room that was so big that looked like some furniture was missing, an extra sofa or chair would make it perfect.
There was no place to put the bags, just the floor.
Hotel is brand new and breakfast selection is really good. Location is great as its only a few blocks from the main train station

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear garthurreview,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our Hotel!
We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us-it is great to read that you liked the size of our rooms and found the breakfast selection to be really good! Our IHG Rewards Club rooms are really spacious and are fully equipped according to the standards of IHG, but the comfort of our guests is still our biggest priority as we want you to feel at home with us and find the rooms really cosy. Therefore we will definitely take your opinion about the additional piece of furniture into consideration and will discuss what can be done about it! Thank you for so much for choosing our Hotel and for the high ranking you gave us on tripadvisor.com and we hope to welcome you again soon!!!

Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

This is the newest of the Holiday Inn express in Frankfurt. Nice property the location I found a bit weird for the normally conservative HIE hotels. Your 2 blocks from one of the slezzyest areas in the world. Lots of decent places to eat some good food. Just be ready to deal with all the sex trade and junkies on the street. Was a bit disappointed their site says laundry service but once to
hotel found out not on the weekends. Won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Geno3J,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express and Suites around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations regarding our location and laundry service. We will look into this point. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.