“Other HIEs should learn from this”

Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #53 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I am giving an excellent to this Holiday Inn Express because it really deserves it. The room was big and comfortable and clean; there was a safe, kettle, A/C, crisp linen in bed. The shower booth closed perfectly and the water pressure was much much better than in other more expensive hotels.
The breakfast was quite good too, continental buffet but you had lots of things, it was enough.
Overall a very pleasant surprise.

2  Thank Marga2009
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear Marga2009,

Thank you so much for your brief, but such a pleasant review and the high rating you gave us!

We are thankful that you found the time to write about your impressions of our Hotel! I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof! Every guest is extremely important for us and it is the best praise when we read such reviews from you-it means you notice our work and efforts and we lived up to your expectations and which is the best and the most important thing for us!

We wish you all the best and sincerely hope to welcome you again during your next trip to Frankfurt!

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Frankfurt for two nights. The property is within easy walking distance to/from the main train station (if you contact the hotel in advance, they provide instructions). We arrived at the hotel early on a Saturday after an international arrival. Despite it being well before check-in time, we were given our room immediately. That was terrific!

Our room had a king bed, sofa and desk area. It did not have a microwave or mini-frig. Everything was great except an additional chair would be nice since the TV didn’t face the sofa. The bathroom had a “rain shower” (no bath). Being an IHG member, our room rate included free wifi or hard-wired broad band access.

Breakfast is complimentary for all guests. It was excellent! It featured boiled eggs, fresh yogurts, cereal, fruits, juices and a variety of wonderful breads. Coffee was self-serve and the breakfast area had two espresso/coffee makers. Again, it was very good! A variety of teas also was available. The breakfast room was large so there were no problems obtaining a table. Also, the breakfast hours were very good – 6:30A through 10:00A (11:00A on weekends).

There were lots of restaurants near the hotel plus a few markets. Also the U-Bahn (subway) is located in the rail station so it made touring very easy. This property is a really good value and its proximity to the train station makes it easy to get throughout the city; to take a long distance train; and to catch the S-Bahn to Frankfurt’s airport. Despite being in the heart of the city it was very quiet in the room.

1  Thank ExcellentAdventures

Dear ExcellentAdventures,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great and detailed review on our Hotel!

We are really grateful to you for writing about your experience with us and sincerely hope that you will choose our Hotel during your next trip to Frankfurt again! We are working hard to make your stay with us truly enjoyable and it means a lot to us when we get such positive feedbacks!

Regarding the early check-in- it is more a regular case than an exceptional one with us. We are doing our best to check our guest in as early as possible as we understand-for many of the travelers it was a long journey, sometimes from a different continent and all they want is to have some rest and some good sleep. It makes us really happy to see our guests relieved and smiling when they get to know that their room is ready and they can have the key immediately.

On behalf of all our team I would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel and wish you all the best! We hope to see you again in the nearest future!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The hotel is about an 10 minute walk from the main train station. We arrived at the hotel and reception was busy I needed the bathroom but you need to key to access the toilets in the lobby??? This is ONLY hotel where I have encountered that! But at least it did not take long to get booked in and our room was ready (13:00) which was nice.
The room was large and very comfortable with a sofa (bed). There is a choice of pillows. The bed was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was very nice with Dove toiletries. There are tea and coffee facilities in the room. Breakfast is included- buffet style rolls, breads, meats, cheese spread, croissants, fruit salad, yogurts, juice and hot drinks machine. Wifi is 5 euros if you have to pay but free if you are a gold member.
Very enjoyable stay but would have been better if the air-conditioning was working as it was very hot.
We had a great time in Frankfurt and was fantastic as Sommerfest was on in this city too, lots of rides, eating places, drinks, music stages a really nice atmosphere. We brought the 2 day Frankfurt card which is great value http://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/cms/tourismussuite/en/culture_leisure_recreation/frankfurt_card/

1  Thank LoopyLou3512

Dear LoopyLou3512,

Thank you so much for your positive review!
I am glad you enjoyed your trip to Frankfurt and our Hotel was a part of it!

It is true that our bathrooms can only be accessed with a key-any Hotel guest can use the room key card and open the doors without any problem. At the same time our facilities cannot be used by anybody from the street-this is done in order to provide our guests with maximum comfort, hygiene and security, which is quite an issue due to our proximity to the main train station. This system works really great as you will most likely feel very safe at our Hotel-each floor and the access to the elevator are also secured by the same system.

That is really great that you enjoyed our breakfast and had a great time here! Our city is quite famous for its numerous festivals and outdoor activities and I am really happy you chose our Hotel during your visit to Frankfurt! We are looking forward to seeing you again and wish you all the best for all your future trips!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed for two nights and chose the hotel because of the location - and was not disappointed - railway station, city center and the shopping are were all within walking distance. Red light district is nearby but it did not bother me. I had a corner room with a view to the back yard and to an office building. One minor problem was that people (hotel staff?) were smoking in the backyard so you could not keep the window open.

The room was of a good size, quiet and clean. The bed was a bit hard for my taste, but I slept well anyway. Wifi was included in my rate as well as the breakfast, which was good enough to keep me going until the evening. The staff was helpful during my visit; my room was not ready when I arrived (at 10 am) so they were happy to store my luggage and give hints about what to see and do in Frankfurt.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank reissaaja100
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear reissaaja100,

Thank you for your positive review on our Hotel!

Your opinion is very important for us and we take all your comments very seriously. I am happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and spent some nice time in Frankfurt. Our location makes it really easy and pleasant to explore the most interesting parts of Frankfurt as it is only a 10 minutes walk from the very city center.

I am sorry the smokers outside of the Hotel caused you some discomfort. But I can assure you that those were definitely not the Hotel staff members as our policy strictly prohibits any smoking on the territory of the Hotel.

On behalf of my team I would like to thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof and to express the hope to see you again!

I wish you a great day!

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

After having a very pleasant stay at Holiday Inn Express in Marseille, I supposed I have come to expect a certain level of quality and service from the hotel chain. However, I was a little disappointed from my stay in Frankfurt.

Despite the proximity from the Haupbahnhof, it's a bit of an effort to walk to the hotel, especially if you're lugging your bags along Münchener Straße, which was crowded with eateries and fruit stalls by the roadside.

There were 4 of us in 2 different rooms and we were a little put off while we were waiting for the staff to process the first room, another staff appeared from the back office and asked "four of you in one room?". Not exactly off to a good start. And while we are aware that we have to stay €5 a day for wi-fi, we were not pleased to find that it's €5 per device and not per room.

When we got to our room, we find that we were given 2 soft pillows and 2 firm pillows. And they were all pretty flat. I called to ask if we can get extra pillows and the receptionist replied quite flatly, "no". So I asked if we can exchange the soft pillows for firm pillows, again, "no". I was shocked and disappointed at the lack of options and seriously, I have never had to ask for extra pillows before (most rooms I stayed in provided extra pillows or have reasonably firm pillows so that whatever provided is sufficient). To add to the discomfort, the bed was overly soft and bouncy, making the whole experience somewhat annoying.

Apart from that, the stay was generally okay. It was close enough that we can walk to the main shopping district around Hauptwache. And there is a supermarket and pharmacy nearby in case we needed to get some stuff. Breakfast was pretty decent as well, so we were thankful.

All in all, decent value for money. If only the hotel staff can be a little more accommodating and less cold, that would have made the stay more enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013
HIEXFRAAD, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear SiowLing,

Thank you for your review!
We appreciate the time and the effort you took to tell us about your impressions of our Hotel.

Your dissapointment regarding the case with the pillows and the attitude of the staff is quite understandable-I am sincerely sorry we were not able to provide the service on the expected level to make your stay with us trully enjoyable. As a Guest Service Manager I will definitely investigate the case with the pillows which were not brought to your room as we certainly provide such service and have pillows of different kinds, including the firm ones.

Regarding the internet access, I guess, there was some kind of misunderstanding between you and the staff member. You can use the same internet code for several devices, but in order to do it you need to log out on the previous device and log in on the next one. And, of course, there is no surcharge for it.

I am glad that you liked our breakfast and enjoyed the city and I really hope that your unfortunate experience this time will not stop you from staying with us again! Our guests are very important for us and we definitely do our best in order they depart home with positive experience and a good feeling and I hope we will have another opportunity to demonstrate it to you! We wish you luck in all your upcoming trips and hope to see you again in our Hotel!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I usually like Holiday Inn Express properties, which is why we chose this for our one night in Frankfurt. I liked that it was near the central station, which made it easy to get to the airport in the morning (dropping off our rental car at central station was a nightmare, though, definitely choose another location if you have the option). Other than proximity to the station, this location doesn't have much to offer, although it's only about a fifteen minute walk to prettier areas of the city.

There are pros and cons to staying here.

Pros:
- Room was spacious and clean.
- Bed was very comfortable.
- Bathroom is larger than most in Europe and the shower head was excellent.
- Breakfast is included.
- Price is very reasonable.

Cons:
- When we checked in, they asked for some extra personal information which I had never been asked for at a hotel before. When I asked why, as I am cautious about giving out that sort of information, the staff couldn't answer. Another staff member came over and said it was for 'security' but couldn't clarify what that meant. In today's day and age If you are going to ask for personal information, you should be able to explain why you need it.
- Location is not very attractive and you don't feel particularly safe walking around in the evening. It does not give a very good representation of Frankfurt.
- Staff at check out was very brusque and not especially friendly.

It's hard to explain, but this hotel just didn't feel as welcoming as most of the Holiday Inn properties we've stayed at. I can't really put my finger on exactly why, as there wasn't a specific incident, but my husband and I both agreed that when we return to Frankfurt we will look for another place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear kdlToronto,

Thank you for taking time to write a review on your stay with us!

Reading your review I got an impression that we did not really live up to your expectations which I am sincerely sorry about! We normally collect some additional information about our guests at check in. This data might include such information as date of birth, home address, contact details, passport or any other ID number, car plates if applicable. The issue is that it is officially required by German law about the data collection that whenever a person from a foreign country checks in at the Hotel, they have to provide the basic details: home address and a passport number. This information is only used for internal purposes and is not transmitted anywhere outside the Hotel. In a certain way it is also for your own safety in case of an accident or any unfortunate happening-you are registered with a particular Hotel and sometimes additional actions are requested from the Hotel staff in order to rescue the guest out of the trouble. It is a pity our staff members could not explain it to you at check in and I hope that I made it a little clearer now.

I am glad that you enjoyed the room and the breakfast, though and I hope that you give us a chance to improve and to welcome you with the quality of service which IHG hotels are so proud of. We take your comments regarding our staff members very seriously and will definitely take some corrective actions in order to live up to your expectations during your next visit.

I wish you a good day!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

As we had only a one full day stay in Frankfurt at the beginning of our Europe trip, we decided to stay in a more budget style hotel. We had no issues with the hotel- room was very clean, although small but adequately furnished, breakfast was very good and included in the room charge, staff friendly and helpful, air conditioning effective and I honestly can't remember but I think wifi was also included. We traveled with another couple who would concur with this. Our only issue was, as we are both not small people, the bed size was just a little too cosy for us ( we have a king at home). The others are used to a small queen sized bed and found it to be ok. I think the hotel says rooms have a double bed and this is exactly what it was ( although perhaps a bit longer) but we found that many "double" beds in Europe were act sully queen or even king sized beds. So this is not a reflection on HI, just a comment. Otherwise, no complaints and would HIExpress again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nagatron

Dear Nagatron,

Thank you so much for your review!

You are absolutely right to say that double beds in Europe are normally a bit smaller than in the U.S. or Australia and I sincerely hope that this fact did not cause you too much of discomfort! We are really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a good time in Frankfurt! On behalf of our Hotel team I would like to thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof and express the hope to see you again in the nearest future!