“Excellent unajyuu (鰻重)”

Neighbourhood: Sachsenhausen-Nord
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent unajyuu (鰻重)”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Frist time at this restaurant for me. I've lived in Japan for 8 years so I always try to find authentic Japanese food places in Europe, between the myriad of "fake sushi shops" out here. As literally everyone in the restaurant was Japanese (staff and customers included) I thought I'd go wild and order my fav dish "Unajyuu" or eel-in-a-box. And boy was I surprised to find that it was simply delicious! I have a hard time finding "delicious" Unajyuu in Tokyo, and the fact that this EU restaurant is able to produce it to my high quality standard is simply amazing. I can only guess, but the rest of the menu must be equally delish. Will return there soon!

All over the place
“Refreshingly Authentic!”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

To echo the sentiment of a previous reviewer, Fujiwara is certainly not "cheap", but in this case we felt we most definitely got what we paid for. My wife and I lived in Tokyo for four years and can say without hesitation that our meal at Fujiwara was a carbon copy of the wonderful sushi meals we'd come to love (and take for granted) in Japan. It's tough to articulate how excited we were to walk through the door (first patrons of the evening, precisely at the posted opening time of 18:00) and hear a joyful "Irashaimase!" directed at us. Our waitress was a delight and spoke more than adequate English (never an expectation of ours, but rather a luxury in our opinion) and the chef gave us a gracious bow and thanks on our way out the door a mere 55 minutes later (we had to catch a concert at the Alte Opera). We will most definitely be back and recommend reservations for dinner, as every table was booked on the evening we dined here in late May.

• Visited May 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
“best Japanese in Frankfurt”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I love Japanese food and have tried almost all of the top places in Frankfurt; in my opinion, this one is the best. The best, however, comes at a price, and this one is decidedly not cheap. It is also tiny and impossible to get into without a reservation. That said, it's worth the effort. I have been on multiple occasions and have never been disappointed.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank ExpatTraveler2
Singapore, Singapore
“Great sashimi”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This restaurant has very authentic Japanese food. We ordered the salmon sashimi, the agedashi tofu, yakitori, and the tempura soba. The tempura dishes are fried very well, only complaint is it doesn't provide tentsuyu for the tempura (maybe it's because my tempura was part of the soba dish). The people running the restaurant and the sushi chef are japanese so they should know better. They're really cute though, totally gentle and quiet and very eager to make sure everything is perfect for you.

my boyfriend adored the salmon sashimi. It was very fresh, the meat was perfect and not mushy.

The restaurant is typically quite full. There were lots of Japanese and locals alike. If you are on the right side of the Main river, this is a perfect place for japanese food.

• Visited January 2012
Kotor, Montenegro
“Nice Nice”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Very cute little Japanese restaurant. Excellent sushi and sashimi. Tempura is also great. Price a little bit a tall - but it is normal for the business of the city. Many Japanese visitors. No gin vodka .. .. but everything else was ok.

• Visited January 2012