“German basil fawlty”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frankfurt
City Camp Frankfurt
London, United Kingdom
“German basil fawlty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I pre booked a pitch for a tent on line.The campsite emailed me back to confirm my booking.
upon arrival the reception was closed so I asked some people who were working reparing the snack bar if any one was around to check me in. They said someone should be there so I waited for 30 mins until a lady arrived.
She told me to come back in 10 minutes as she was not open yet. When I came back the lady and a man were in reception. I told her I had made a booking but she was having difficulty finding it on the computer. This was when Basil von Fawlty stepped in and over the shoulder of the lady took over and started tapping furiously at the keyboard. He then declared with finality "no you have no booking with us!" Fortunately I had printed off the confirmation email the site had sent me. I had also read the trip advisor reviews prior to booking so was ready for the "customer service" So I whipped out the email, smiled, and showed Basil who seemed to take his frustration out on the computer keyboard with the ferocity of a Beathoven piano concerto pianist.
He finally acquiecsed and said yes I did have a booking but the confusion was in my name.
He took my CASH for my three day stay and pointed to the end of the site where I presumed I was to pitch my tent. I had occasion later that day to go back to reception to pick up some tourist leaflets. I was whistling to myself as I went in to the reception and Immediately Basil von Fawlty bellowed " nicht Pfeifen!" Now I happen to speak quite good German so I responded back to him in German "Why? is there a law in Germany that forbids whistling?" The look on his face was a picture of utter confusion and shock. He mumbled something under his breath and walked out the back door. So in conclusion the campsite is great for easy access to Frankfurt either by tram train or the splendid bicycle routes that criss cross the whole area. The facilities are adequate for the price. Dont expect any Customer service whatsoever.
As I believe travelling is all about experiencing the good the bad and sometimes the ugly side of humanity I wouldnt have missed visiting this campsite for the world. After all its not every day you get to meet Herrn Basil Von Fawlty. Just dont mention the war!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
13 Thank Stuart H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

When we arrived it said reception opened at 5.00, at six it was still not open. We were approached by a member of staff, who I might add was helpful and showed us our pitch. He told us to go back and take the necessary to the office. Office staff were rude and told everyone to wait outside as they were busy and to wait until they are called in. When leaving the camp to go into the city we asked a guy who had been quite ok up to that point about the train journey into the city, only to be told he was not working and to look on the notice board. Stayed in a lot of campsites on this extensive trip, but not encountered this rudeness before. Someone should give them some lessons in customer service

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank CaroleH401

Travellers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The man on reception was so rude to us... he didn't speak much English to help us and said to pitch up anywhere with thr car next to the tent... we pitched up and he then tells us we can't park where we had and to move our car, but we were blocked in by other cars so clearly couldn't move it. . we packed up our tent at 7:30am the next morning as we were on route to the next place so we packed into the car and started to drive out of the campsite slowly and quietly.... he came over and shouted at us to turn off the engine.... (how else does he want us to leave)!!!! I think he just likes to moan.

Also about 30 rabbits running around the campsite!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

This campsite is adequate. It has reasonable hard standing pitches and a satisfactory sanitary block. It is a 2 minute walk to the U-Bahn station and 5 minutes in the opposite direction to the nearest supermarket.
Downsides. In the 21st century they do not accept payment cards and, one of my real pet hates, had no Wi-Fi at all, let alone to buy. In fact, one of the staff told me that they had no "access to the outside world" via e-communications. In Germany. Really?
We were visiting Frankfurt to see the Christmas market and this was the only campsite which was open. Next time we'll stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rivbom
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We camped here for one night and found all the facilities were good and that the staff were genial enough- including some tourist information and even weather predictions! The chap who worked there spoke pretty good english to conversing was no problem. Its also very handy for an U-bahn stop so very easy to get into town for exploring
Would come here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harpiccharr
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

a man on a campsite in Germany has a German accent, quelle surprise,mann spricht Deutsch in Deutschland, Gruss Gott in Himmel, If you turn up at a campsite and don't make any attempt to speak the local language, don't expect them to understand you by speaking loudly and slowly.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank beardydaly
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We arrived at the camp site and we checked in but the man was so rude and should be fired. We booked one tent pitch with electric and when we asked do we have electric he said i dont know. when we put the tent up and got everything set up he came to our pitch
And said get the car off the grass.now we knew you had to park the car in the car park but we needed it on the grass to get things from the car.He said in a german accent no electric and when we asked he ignored us And pulled out our electricty cable and he swore at us in german as we could tell As i spoke some german.my father went off and complained to a woman who was in reception and then the another man came and told us that a fire was in a tent once and did not have insurance for electricty in tents.that was fine when he told why we couldnt as this person was calm and not shouting at us. We left the campsite after being ther only 1 hour but was ther long enogh to expirence the campsite.

• Stayed August 2012