“Looks great”

Depot 1899
Ranked #202 of 2,465 Restaurants in Frankfurt
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Sachsenhausen-Nord
Frankfurt, Germany
“Looks great”
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This is a great looking bar , restaurant. The service was ok the waiter spoke good English. We were a party of 9 the food came at different intervals with a salad being the last dish served. The mushroom sauce was lacking in flavour, the fries just nasty. German food is never inspiring but this place did not do it justice.

1 Thank viewbs

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Tapas German style !”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

What an experience. The chance to try some Frankfurt specialities without breaking the bank or upsetting your digestive system too much. The atmosphere in this restaurant is hustle bustle and the service is not the quickest. But what it may lack there it makes up for in food. The chance to try some Frankfurt/Hessen delicacies in smaller portions. Perhaps order four or five for three to four people. Always wondered what Handkase mit Musik was ? Well now is your chance to try a small portion. Be adventurous and tackle some of the items on a menu that you were not too sure about. What a wonderful way to spend an evening !

• Visited December 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great service, Excellent Food and lovely Bier”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Before you jump to conclusions, I am not an employee! This was a great unexpected find in a lovely area of Frankfurt.

My friend and I had actually been heading for a small bar but when we arrived, they were fully booked - I'm glad.

Our table server was fantastic and spoke very good English - after my faults ring attempts at German! He made great recommendations on both food and drink and the relaxed atmosphere was very welcome.

The food was very good indeed, we only had a main course but everything was great. Their home brew dark ale is an absolute gem - a must try when you visit.

I will definitely be visiting next time I'm in Frankfurt.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not a fan of German food so perhaps a tough sell”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Depot 1899 did not thing to assuage me that German food is worth writing about. It isn't lost on me that I am about to do that nonetheless.

The decor is pleasant although my visit was in the run up to the Christmas season so I appreciate that it was perhaps a little 'chintzy'. With its high ceilings and tall windows looking out into the street, there is a very airy feel here. The seating is mixed with some bar-side tables, larger tables for groups as well as the usual 2s and 4s. As we were sat by the bar, I can tell you that this is very well stocked and if you're a fan of German beer or beer more broadly then you're in luck as it is pretty cheap and plentiful... as you would expect in Frankfurt.

The food was OK. I had roasted pork which came with a restrained sauerkraut and a large ball-shaped doughy, stuffing. To accompany this was a separate sauce 'jug'. See photo to see what arrived. The pork was well cooked, it wasn't dry and two thick slices arrived so you coudl describe it as a hearty portion. I think you would struggle to make it through 3 courses with this portion. I say the sauerkraut was restrained as sometimes when I've had this I've had to ask for cabbage with my vinegar. This however was nicely balanced and provided a refreshing contrast to the meaty cut of pork. The sauce tasted like roasted meat juices so its depth of flavour nicely accompanies roasted meat and a sharp sauerkraut.

The baseball sized stuffing ball was truly a mystery to me. I am not sure you would eat something this size. I say stuffing ball because that was very much the flavour coming from it. Bready, herby and soft. It was very dense and safe to say stodgy. My friend remarked that sometimes they just serve this to kids in schools. As a sole portion. I am not surprised. In fact it is remarkable that they serve it in a place largely made of windows. One bad move and the business could fall like a pack of cards. It was pleasant enough but you could easily be satisfied with two golf ball sized offerings. This struck me as both 'filler' and added nothing to an otherwise well-balanced dish.

My friend had roasted beef which arrived in a rich, onion glaze and a generous portion of spetzel (German noodle like side dish which looks like thick off-cuts of pasta boiled and sauteed in butter). Hers looked pretty good but again this Spetzel just struck me as stodge for stodge sake. It is low on taste and high on filler.

Would I return? Maybe for drinks. Again, German food is not my thing but I'm always willing to give food a go. I should say that the overall presentation was more modern than I've had in a few German restaurants which usually follows the mantra of 'lump it on there'. Perhaps I've had bad experiences but Depot 1899 does nothing to make me second guess my view to date.

• Visited December 2013
Frankfurt, Germany
“Fun festive place for friends, family or just to relax”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have been here twice - good solid German food and great beer selection. The home brewed beer is very tasty. Food is quality, nothing fancy but shouldn't disappoint. Outdoor seating and ambiance of the nice facade and large bar make the restaurant. Large lovely area to sit outside under umbrellas and plenty of indoor tables. Had no issues with service either time,(standard European service). Easy location to get to, 2 minute walk from the Sudbahof.

• Visited August 2013