“Room with a view”

Frankfurt Marriott Hotel
Ranked #18 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have been wanting to stay at the Marriott in Frankfurt ever since I saw this impressive building first in 1993 when visiting a concert at the Festhalle, which is directly opposite the hotel. Now my partner and I finally were able to spend a weekend there, and I can say that it was a fantastic stay overall with the very small exception of my visit to the fitness area, which I will describe later on.
When I arrived in the afternoon on a Friday (March 7), I was welcomed by an extremely lovely lady at the reception desk (I think her name is Katharina). She, as well as the other receptionists smiled as soon as I entered the hotel. Everything that you would except in a hotel of this class was taken care of during check-in...I was asked how my journey was, she made sure that the requests I had noted when booking (a quiet room on a high floor) were met, explained the facilities to me and so on. And all this with a friendly smile and a nice and humorous way of talking. I should add that we had made the booking online at the Marriott website just a few hours before, and I was really impressed that they took care of everything so quickly and perfectly anyway. I have noted that a review before states that the staff at the hotel are arrogant - I absolutely disagree, we only encountered lovely people.
The room itself was on the 39th floor and overlooked the Festhalle, the stadium of Eintracht Frankfurt and further away the airport. These are the rooms that face the south-west, which means you do not have much of a skyline view (I should add that at check-in, I was asked whether I wanted a room with skyline view, so this would have been possible too). But oh boy, what a sunset! :-) The room was large and newly renovated with a huge and comfortable king-size bed and an amazing choice of pillows. Besides, there was a very comfortable armchair (see the photo), a large desk to work on and a huge flatscreen tv with an incredible choice of tv and radio channels. I personally also loved the bathroom which had large mirrors on two sides and thus looked very roomy. The shower (included in the bathtub) had good water pressure, and there were the usual amenities provided. The only criticisms I would give here are that there were no cotton pads or tips, and that the small towels are a bit too small...after washing my hair, it was impossible, to wrap one of the small towels around my head, and the large ones, on the other hand, were too large again.... ;-)
Next morning, we went down for breakfast, and as we were very early (at 7 a:m on a Saturday), there were not many people, so eating was very comfortable. At the entrance of the breakfast room, we were welcomed by a very friendly young man (he was there the second day too), who gave us a paper to sign (our rate included breakfast, but of course they have to control that anyway) and wished us a nice time when we entered as well as when we left. We had the luck to sit in one of the comfortable sofa corners both days and as soon as we sat down there, a lovely lady came and asked if we wanted coffee and fresh orange juice. On both days, this lovely lady took care of us and also asked if she could do anything more for us several times during breakfast. The breakfast itself was great with a nice spread of many different choices. Again, just two little criticisms here. The first is that when your plate is taken away by the waiter, you will find lots of new plates, but absolutely NO cutlery anywhere on the buffet. This was pretty strange. Secondly, although the variety was great, the choice for vegetarians was pretty limited. My partner is not a vegetarian, I am - so he had a lot more to choose from. It might be worth for the hotel management to think about offering a few more veggie options (maybe a veggie or vegan spread). But to be fair, everything I ate was delicious (try the Bircher musli which comes in nice little glasses!) and very fresh. The kinds of jam even varied from Saturday to Sunday morning, so there was some nice variety here. And to emphasize it again, all the people working in the breakfast area on both mornings could not have been more friendly and welcoming.
Now let me write about the only experience that I would really call negative. On Saturday afternoon, while my partner had a meeting, I decided to use the gym and try the sauna. I went down at about 12 and met a lady at the desk of the fitness room who was talking privately on her mobile and did not take much notice of me. This would have been no problem, but after getting dressed and coming back to the fitness room, I tried to get one of the crosstrainers working. This was a bit tricky, as the electronic display did not seem to work, and she clearly saw me trying to turn on one crosstrainer for minutes (they are just opposite the desk area), but she still preferred talking on the phone! She did not care either, when I gave up with one crosstrainer and tried the next one (which was then working after a few attempts). This already made me feel a bit uncomfortable, but I thought "ok, I am just doing my training now, so who cares". But the negative experience only started then...shortly afterwards (meanwhile, a second guest had come down for training on the treadmill), a young man in rather dodgy street clothes came to the desk, was greeted by the lady, and they disappeared somewhere in the back (where the male and female toilets and the female sauna area are). Imagine my surprise when later on, they suddenly came back to the desk and both only were wearing towels...! The man was then doing something behind the desk (I have no idea whether he was searching for something) and again went through the fitness area with only the towel around his hips. If the second guest had not been there at that time, I would have felt extremely uncomfortable, as this guy was clearly no hotel guest. And I am still more than irritated that the fitness area receptionist lady, who should be there to take care of guests who use the machines, left the room and went for sauna with an obviously private companion...to make things even worse, when she was not on the desk, another strange guy wearing street clothes came in, went behind the desk, looked for something and disappeared after some time. This guy was obviously none of the hotel staff either. All this happened within the 1 1/2 hours that I was using the machines and crosstrainer. After I had finished my training, I had initially planned to use the sauna as well, as there is a sauna in the female dressing and shower area. But since the receptionist lady and the other guy had still not come back from there at that point of time, I decided to just leave the fitness area and take a shower in our room. Overall, a very, very strange and also a little scary experience (and the reason why I can give the service only 4 stars - the one star that I took off is just for this lady). :-(
But to be fair again, the machines in the fitness room were all of high quality and (the ones I did my training on) were in excellent condition. And to finish this review with a positive note, the check-out on Sunday was quick and smooth, and again, a very lovely lady was there who made sure that we had enjoyed our stay. So overall, we can absolutely recommend the Marriott in Frankfurt - the rooms are wonderful, the view is spectacular, and with this one exception, all people we met were extremely friendly and welcoming. We will sure stay there again next time we are in Frankfurt.

Room Tip: All rooms are on high floors (they start on the 26th). ;-)
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank business_trav77
tdtil, Director of Rooms Operations at Frankfurt Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear business_trav77,

It is an honor to learn that you have been wanting to stay with us for a long time I am happy to read about the wonderful experience you had.

I will gladly share your kind words with our team and Katharina in particular.

Your very detailed review will certainly be of great assistance for fellow travelers and is very much appreciated.

Your observations in the fitness center have been addressed with the according staff member. It is needless to say that this experience does not reflect the high standard of service and professionalism we are usually providing. The situation certainly could have been perceived as awkward and misleading. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience experienced.

Should your travels bring you back to Frankfurt, I would be delighted to personally assist you.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Good location but it's clear that the staff is not really listening and have no real interest for the guests. When something happens or needs to be organized it's a problem as people operate like machines. My safe was not working properly and it took several times to solve it and even then not working....
Breakfast and the Sports Bar are very nice.

Room Tip: Take a room at the back. Despite the height it's still noisy at the front and it's very warm...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Derk B
tdtil, Director of Rooms Operations at Frankfurt Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Derk B,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Marriott Hotel for your recent visit to Frankfurt.

I was distressed to read about your experience and you can rest assured that your comments will be addressed with our team to ensure that there will be no recurrence of the same problem.

Should your travels bring you back to Frankfurt, I would be delighted to personally assist you with your booking and I am very much hoping that you will give us another opportunity to convince you of the high standard of service we are usually providing.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed for 2 nights recently as a couple. Recently renovated, and that much is evident in the rooms and public areas. Comfortable beds. Nice, if not luxurious Marriott-fare rooms. Very pleasant staff. We did not eat there. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lordoye

Dear lordoye,

Thank you for staying at the “new” Frankfurt Marriott Hotel and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

As mentioned in your review, we as well would love to have you staying with us again. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and will do our utmost to make your future stays with just as enjoyable.

Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed overnight in this hotel located on the western edge of the city. Recently renovated rooms still exudes freshness - but is very Marriot-esque. Room has been updated to cater for business visitors including international guests (e.g. multiple sockets supporting 110 and 220V plugs), free wifi and a good size desk. Location has easy access to the city center and to the airport; it is adjacent to a convention center and a new mall - so there are good choices for food and places to walk to that are close by if you need to get out. Hotel's gym offers a good selection of equipment and services. There are 3 restaurants in the hotel - tried 2 of them for breakfast and dinner. Food was satisfactory - cuisine was varied - probably to cater to the large number of airline staff from Asia. Staff was very attentive and helpful - full marks. Hotel was very good value for the rate that I paid for the room. All in all, a very good deal for a very nice and professional establishment.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Seng100

Dear Seng100,

Thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor! We very much appreciate your kind words and will happily share them with the entire team.

We just finished our renovation a few months ago which included all of our guestrooms as well as our hotel lobby. Having received nothing but wonderful feedback about this upgrade, I am very happy to learn that you as well enjoyed your stay with us.

It would be our pleasure to be your host again for your next visit to Frankfurt. You can contact me at any time if there is anything I can do for you.

With warm regards,

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Positives
1) great property - very chic, very clean
2) great and efficient staff
3) good food - breakfast was very good catering to multiple cuisines including Indian and South East Asia:
Negatives
1) strictly a business hotel - no open spaces or major amenities for family
2) location - a bit away from the centre of town

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear inmumbai,

First of all I would like to thank you for staying at the Frankfurt Marriott Hotel. I am convinced that your review will be of great assistance for other travelers and we appreciate the time invested.

I will proudly share your comments about our property, food and – most importantly – our staff. I am sorry to learn that our location and offerings for families did not quite meet your expectations.

We are located across the street from the fairgrounds and just a stone’s throw away from Frankfurt’s largest shopping mall, the Skyline Plaza, which just opened a couple of months ago. You can walk to the city center in about 20 minutes and it is only a 5-10 minute cab ride away.

I would love to personally meet you should you decide to stay with us again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Comfortable hotel with a nice responsive staff. Two options for breakfast each morning and a nice spread of hot breakfast prepared fresh. Evening drinks and snacks at the lounge, with great desserts. The best part of the hotel is how tall it is, and therefore, if you get a room on the higher floors, the view is similar to what you'd get in a descending airplane which is on its landing path. Clean interiors and fancy bottles of complimentary water in your room. All in all, a very nice business hotel, with decent internet speed, great sleep quality and nice modern rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear PM-DEL-82,

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much appreciate the time you invested in sharing your experience.

We always recommend to book the Executive Package includes access to our Executive Lounge on the 43rd floor which does not only offer breathtaking views but also an enormous variety of food & beverage selections.

All of our rooms are located on floors 26 and above and therefore offer wonderful views of Frankfurt and its surroundings.

We just upgraded our internet connection which basically doubled the speed. Internet access is also included in the Executive Package which can be purchased for an affordable surcharge.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Spend 4 nights at the property. Nice size quiet rooms, great staff and nice pub. The breakfast was fantastic with a huge selection and very friendly service.

The overall location was great for doing business at the Festhalle, located across the street, as well as tourist sites in Frankfurt

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Ron C,

Thank you for choosing the Marriott Hotel for your recent visit to Frankfurt and for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers.

We would love to be your host again should your travels bring you back to Frankfurt. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

With best regards,