“Good place for family”
Review of Alexander am Zoo

Alexander am Zoo
Ranked #57 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We had the deluxe suite with a queen sized bed in the bedroom and 2 rollaway beds for the kids in the living room. It is like a small one bedroom apt with 2 balconies, a mini kitchen with a dining table for 2 and separate bath and toilet. The furnishings in the suite was a little outdated. Bathroom was spotless and had all the toiletries available. Beds were comfortable with soft pillows. We're able to leave the windows open at night and slept well. It is located in a residential area but the time we were there, the streets were pretty quiet. Breakfast was included in the room rate and they have a wonderful spread of cold cuts, breads, pastries, juices, cereals, coffee, milk, yogurt and etc.
Check in and check out service were efficient. The receptionist was manning the front desk and housekeeping by himself. He wasted no time in bringing the two rollaway beds to our room as soon as we're checked in. Very impressed by the efficiency. Parking was 14 euros a day. We parked our car at the hotel and walked to the riverbank which was about 25 minutes of leisurely walk each way. Overall, this hotel worked out for our one night stay in Frankfurt.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank anna9999
There are newer reviews for Alexander am Zoo

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I always check what people say about hotel I plan to stay.This time was the same and I was very happy of choice I made.The hotel has high standard,very nice and cosy rooms,good breakfast and helpful staff.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel after we read the good reviews about it. We were not disappointed.
The Alexander Suite is superb. Large, light and spacious. Two little niggles were that you could not close the curtains on the large windows in the room where the kids beds were, and that the bathroom had a shower head but no where on the wall to place it. The rest of the suite makes up for this though. Large, spotless and very well appointed.
Location is right next to the zoo. It is a ten minute taxi ride to the centre but you can also get the bus from the end of the street. The neighbourhood is clean and quiet given you are in a city, and the staff were never less than very pleasant and helpful. Note that there is not a bar or restaraunt in teh hotel (other than for a very nice breakfast) but there are some nice ones a short walk away.
All in all the Alexander offers tremendous value for money, particularly if you are travelling with children.

Room Tip: The ALexander Suite is well worth paying the extra for
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed here for several nights because of its good TripAdvisor ratings and its very reasonable room rates and its proximity to the Zoo. The location is what both makes and breaks this hotel. It is so close to the back wall of the zoo that you can hear apes and peacocks at night, which we found very pleasant.

But you can also hear "bar noise" and guests returning at very late hours from nearby restaurants, especially on weekends, . Be aware that the hotel is in a "singles neighborhood" of apartments, restaurants, bars, small shops, and so on. To the west there is a great one-table pizza joint just a block away called Bella Rosa, and a wonderful Indian restaurant, Mera Masala, just several blocks west, on Sandweg. Just south of that on Sandweg there is a "Waschsalon" (laundromat). When we asked for a laundromat, to avoid paying the usual high hotel laundry fees, the young man behind the hotel's front desk sent us to a local contract washer which charged fees comparable to the hotel's. Indeed, it was probably the one used by the hotel. He did not mention the laundromat.

The room was spacious, a suite, but it was hot and the air-conditioning did not reach the bedroom. Opening the bedroom window let in the street noise. The breakfast was good. Most people staying at the hotel were German.

Room Tip: Substantial street noise on weekends. Not sure if any rooms are immune from this. Our suite was sunn...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ScienceTrip
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed at The Alexander for a night recently during a stopover in Frankfurt. It was a toss-up whether to stay here or whether to stop at the Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel and I eventually picked The Alexander on the basis that I would have a chance to look around Frankfurt rather than spending the time in an airport hall / mall.

Live and learn, and this was a wrong decision. Firstly, it was a 40-Euro taxi ride from the airport. The Alexander's room rate was EUR 89 vs 120 at the Hilton Airport. I had a complimentary car back to the airport from my airline, so the overall stay at The Alexander ended up costing a little bit more than it would have at the Hilton with the taxi fare factored in. This is, of course, no fault of the hotel's, but it did mean I arrived with a less-than-happy frame of mind.

My mood wasn't improved by the first impression of the hotel, which was stereotypically bland and a cut-and-paste version of pretty much any chain hotel / motel in most places. Check-in was quick and efficient, but not particularly friendly or welcoming. The room itself was functional, but exceedingly average: fading carpet, stereotypical furnishings, a modest-sized bathroom with amenities bracketed to the wall. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were not. At least the shower was pretty decent in the bathroom. The minibar was very well stocked, but did not include complimentary drinking water.

The hotel's location was not ideal for a one-nighter, either. Very pleasantly leafy and residential, a short walk from the zoo, but not really within striking distance of anything particularly interesting to see. A Hobson's Choice of restaurants in the vicinity too, with the nearest selection being either a pizzeria or a pizzeria - I chose the one that looked a little bit more upscale than the other and had a few more items on the menu besides pizza.

Breakfast was included in the room rate, but wifi was not. It wasn't exorbitantly expensive at EUR 5 for 24 hours' access, but I think in this day and age all hotel ought to offer wifi inclusive. The breakfast spread wasn't bad, but it wasn't especially good either - once again the key word would be "average", although it has to be said that it included four jars of what turned out to be absolutely delicious fruit-jams. The coffee was hot but essentially no more than mildly-flavoured water.

Check-out was as quick and efficient as check-in, and I left the hotel feeling neither pleased nor displeased.

At EUR 89 for the night, I shouldn't really complain too much. However, when I compare The Alexander to somewhere like The Otto in Berlin, which - for EUR 100 a night - gave me a much nicer room with a more modern bathroom containing very nice amenities, a superb breakfast that included complimentary sparkling wine, unlimited free bottled drinking water all day, free wifi and a fantastic location, I feel justified in saying that The Alexander does not really offer full value for the price.

I would suggest that The Alexander is a better choice for a package group or a larger family, where the primary consideration is a cost-effective roof-over-the-head, but I couldn't really recommend it otherwise. In retrospect, I do wish I had decided to stay at The Airport Hilton instead...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Anyone looking for a good, value for money place to stay in Frankfurt, don't look beyond this place. We spent 2 nights here recently (2 separate nights within a span of 4 days) as a family of 3 (2 adults and a 6 year old child) - while we had booked a double room, and put in a request for a king sized double bed, we were pleasantly surprised to be put in a large room with 3 beds on both occasions. The hotel itself appears to be fairly new, and the rooms, in addition to being quite spacious, were extremely clean and well lit. The locality is also a very decent one.The staff at the hotel were also extremely helpful, and gave us some good tips in terms of going around, finding places to eat etc.

The hotel is located very close to the Frankfurt Zoo, and is about a 15 min walk away from some of the key attractions in Frankfurt such as the Zeil, the Romer and the Main River. The underground station (Hohenstrasse) is a 2 min walk from the hotel and the Konstablerwache (a major junction) is two underground stations away. The hotel also seems to be well connected via the tram network, although we didn't try this out for ourselves.

In terms of food, the breakfast menu was adequate (which is more than one can say for comparable hotels in that part of the world). There are quite a few eating options within a few minutes' walk from the hotel, including one delightful Indian tandoori restaurant (Mera Masala), which has the best Indian food that I have eaten in a long time (to put things in perspective, I am Indian myself, and have lost count of the number of Indian restaurants I have eaten in the world over).

And all this for a price less than EUR 100 in a country/ region where one typically ends up paying much more for places that are considerably worse.

If I really nitpick, perhaps the only downsides to the place are:

a) No free wifi in the rooms - however, there is a terminal in the lobby downstairs that one can access gratis.
b) Car parking @ EUR 14 per night is perhaps on the higher side, but a quick look around that part of town told us that we would have struggled if we had tried to look for public parking.
c) The beds were perhaps a little too sof for my liking, but no worse than what we came across in other European hotels.

During the course of our trip, we stayed in about 8-9 hotels over a span of 2 weeks, and this was without a doubt the best of the lot - we shall certainly not hesitate to stay here again the next time we're in Frankfurt.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel and would have liked to stay longer.

The room was large, very clean, light and airy with a window / door combination that opened onto a balcony. The furnishing was attractive, the large bed exceptionally comfortable with high quality bedding and there was ample space to set up my laptop. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided.

The bathroom was spacious and had a bath with shower. There was plenty of space for toiletries and lighting and mirrors were excellent.

The friendly staff was always ready to assist with good advice on local transport, restaurants, etc and the location was great - quiet, leafy suburb (I was woken up by birds singing each morning) but 200m from nearest under ground station and with a wide variety of restaurants and the main shopping area within walking distance.

Breakfast was excellent, plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, salmon, cheeses, bacon and eggs, and pastries. There was also good coffee machine that made excellent cappuccinos.
I highly recommend this hotel for both business and leisure stays.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business