“non-smoking room stank like ashtray”

Hotel Hamburger Hof
Ranked #7 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 22 February 2011

for EUR190 a night, it was complete waste of money. i should've stayed at a further hotel and just take a taxi everywhere would've been more worthwhile. main issue was sleep quality was poor, due to non-smoking room that smelled like an old ashtray. had to open window in freezing weather to get thin out the smell. also the bed was really run down, very soft in a "slept in" spot, soft and dented. shower was tiny, and i'm petite, with water overflowing. and the worst is the heat turns off when you shut of the lights, or seems that way. freezing in the middle of the night, even with windows closed. furthermore my room was right next to the elevators so lots of doors banging, footsteps and talking can be heard early in the morning. combined with jet lag, it was a horrible experience for the price. it was worth EUR70. granted it was during exhibition time, even with that premium they should charge EUR140 at most.

the hotel next door was much better, with much better breakfast selection.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kcf21

Reviewed 12 February 2011

The Hamburger Hof has been a pleasant surprise. I am here for Ambiente, the big trade show in February, and have found the hotel to be clean, well appointed and generally nice. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast buffet is typical German style, very nice and has generous hours. There is only German language TV and the walls are kinda thin, I hear the guest next door when he/she rattles around in the wardrobe. But even during this busy time, it isn't what I would call noisy. In fact, even on Friday and Saturday night, there wasn't any disturbing noise, save the odd door closure in the hall. Yes by North American standards, the room is small, but I do not feel cramped...it is nice. For reference, I have traveled the world so I know how tiny hotel rooms can be. There is no free wifi, but there is free access in the public lobby area, but I needed access in my room and paid the fee. The rate I got, plus the cost of wifi was still cheaper than other hotels that offered "free" wifi. It is a 15 minute walk to Messe Frankfurt conference hall, which has been great for me. It was about 40 minutes from Airport to Hauptbahnhof on the train and that included waiting for the train to arrive and me being dense about buying the ticket. I am pleased with my choice of hotels and would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank PhilandSaraF
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I stayed at the Hamburger Hof one gloomy day in November after missing a flight. As I came in I noticed a number of diners in the very well appointed dining area in the lobby. I don't know if they were all guests, but when people eat in the hotel they're staying, or coming in off the street, I take it as a good sign.

Check in was very smooth and I got a room on the 6th floor. The room was small but very clean, equipped with a desk and a small TV on a dresser. It was a single so I can't speak for what other rooms might be like, but it was definitely adequate for my one night stay. Unfortunately WiFi isn't free, but it works okay if you need an internet connection.

The main problem I had was with the cold. The radiator was on max and I couldn't feel any heat, I had to ask for an extra blanket at night. I don't know if this was an issue with that particular room or not, but it was unpleasant waking up sweaty under the blankets to a very very cold room.

Location wise, the hotel is literally across the street from the train station so it was great to walk over and get on the train to the airport in the morning - a 10 minute ride. It's also about a 15 minute walk to the historical city center down the Kaiserstrase (in front of the train station) where there are lots of restaurants and bars to choose from.

At check out, despite the very early hour, the night clerk was kind and accommodating enough to offer me some tea while I killed about 20 minutes. The takeaway breakfast was great too with 3 sandwiches, some fruit and a chocolate bar.

Overall I can't complain about the hotel and service. Disappointing about the cold room but maybe I was just unlucky. It deserves 4 stars for everything else including cost. I'd stay again, but maybe not in winter.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Arbap
Reviewed 6 November 2010

My husband and I stayed here on the last night of a nine day trip to Belgium and Germany. Traveling by train, so this was a perfect location. It is right across from a side entrance to the main train station. When you walk into the train station, you are on the right side for the trains to the airport. Not a long haul with luggage. I asked for a room overlooking the back...not scenic, but very quiet. Room was small, but adequate and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was bountiful. We will definitely stay here the next time we are in Frankfurt.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

I stayed at the Hamburger Hof Hotel in September 2010 at the start of trip thru Germany and Belgium. I liked the hotel because of its' location, across the street from the main train station (HBF) which made getting to and from the airport cheap (S8 or S9 uBahn for only 3.50 Euros), fast and easy. The train station is huge and has trains from all over Germany to Amsterdam, Belgium and beyond. There are also several stores (drug, variety) and restaurants (fast food and sit down) so you didn't have to go very far from the hotel if you didn't want to.

The hotel itself appeared to have been recently remodeled. The single room I had was small but adequate for a lone traveller as it was clean, quiet but facing away from the station I had no view. The room was small, the bathroom was small and the bed was very small - don't expect a full-size king or queen size bed staying here.

A Continental Breakfast was included and had the usuals - coffee, juice, bread, cheese, yogurt, etc. and was acceptable but really nothing special. There was a free Internet PC in the lobby for checking emails and the front desk provided an Ethernet cable for use in the lobby if you brought your own notebook or netbook PC.

There were only two English language channels on the very small TV (CNN and BBC). The room also had a desk, couch and closet but was very small but not unbearable.

In all, I would stay in the Hamburger Hof Hotel if I were to return to Frankfurt. The rate included an acceptable breakfast, Internet PC, the room I had on an upper floor facing away from the street and train station was quiet and the location near the HBF, downtown and red light district (!) was very convenient.

I got a good rate as there wasn't a big convention in town and made my reservation a few months in advance. The location was marginal late at night but that was the only negative I had about this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
8  Thank Mark O
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Recommended by Rick Steves. We had no prior reservations. The staff was very helpful & friendly, & they met Steves' cited rate after we quoted it. They opened for breakfast a half hour early for us so we could eat & make our train (breakfast was good & included in the price). Clean facility with lift, fridge, decent bathroom with a nice shower & plenty of hot water. Walls were a bit thin & it got a little noisy a couple of times during the night, but not unbearably so. The only real negative was signs of frequent drug use on the roof below our room window.

Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed for 3 days. The location is convenient being right by the main train station and, while it is near the red light district as a result, you can avoid that area easily. The staff is very helpful (found me an emergency dentist). The rooms are clean and somewhat modernistic - wile out room was small it was welllaid out and gave us plenty of room. The breakfast buffet is well above average.

1  Thank Ken B