“Very hit and miss!”

Ranked #81 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Mirfield, United Kingdom
“Very hit and miss!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I've always liked Mercure hotels and other hotels within the Accor Group. This Mercure is a little strange though. First of all, there are two buildings set across the road from each other. We checked in at the main building at around 2.30pm and were told our rooms were not ready - at 2.30PM!! After a brief conversation we were given one room and told that the other would be ready later. We were pointed in the direction of the lift, but once inside the lift we couldn't see our room number, so we came back out and went to reception again to be told "oh sorry, I forgot to tell you that your room is in the building across the road"! It was a dry, bright day, so although a little inconvenient it was not a problem. However, in bad weather I would have been extremely unhappy! The rooms are nice, modern and clean, and the showers are superb. However, what is the point of giving someone a double bed and only one pillow? I hardly got any sleep on the first night because I was so uncomfortable! Also, the towels are pathetic, if they were any thinner and smaller they would be called "tissue paper"! This is a sure sign that the accountants are running the hotel and counting every penny! Come on, you are supposed to be a hotel and provide service and comfort for your guests! Then there is the internet "con"! When my colleague was checking into his room he was offered a "deal" where if he agreed not to have his room cleaned for one day then he could either have free wifi or 3 Euro's to spend in the bar. When he asked what he'd be able to buy in the bar for 3 Euro's he got a blank expression! So, I asked why we would want free wifi when we already had free wifi? You'll love this - "Ah, the normal free wifi is very slow, but this is premium wifi and much faster"! So, now we know, wifi isn't wifi unless you buy premium wifi! It's about time the EU passed a regulation to make ALL hotels in Europe provide free wifi! Anyway, I needed good wifi access, so I took the deal for my room - the wifi wasn't very fast after all! That evening we had a couple of beers in the bar, and I have to say that the service in the bar was excellent!
On the second morning, I tried the coffee maker, filled it with water and there was obviously a leak somewhere because all the water just poured out of the base of the machine - great start to the day! We then went to reception to request some extra pillows, but that wasn't easy! There were two reception staff dealing with a lady at the priority counter, but actually the young man was dealing with the lady whilst his female colleague just watched him. She continued to ignore us for a further 5 minutes, but after noticing that we were getting frustrated and annoyed she begrudgingly deemed to ask if she could help us - not a smile in sight, in fact I think if she had smiled her face would have cracked! So, we asked for the extra pillows and guess what? when we came back that afternoon, there were no extra pillows so we had to ask for them again! Also, when I got back to my room I noticed that the water wasn't draining from the sink, so someone must have been in my room because that hadn't been a problem in the morning. The plug was completely jammed in the sink and wouldn't move.
We finally checked out the next morning and I have to say the young lady who checked us out was excellent! So, very much hit and miss, some very good service and some good points regarding the room, but also some terrible service and bad maintenance etc.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room in the main building.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Stefan A, General Manager at Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear James L.,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Many thanks for the detailed indications. Please be assured that I will take all the points for a meeting with our Hotel team to sensible
our hotel staff.

Direktor / General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and adult children took a trip to Frankfurt. Our first trip to Germany! I picked the Mecure because it was close enough to the Strassenbahn (Trolley System), but, away from the noise and traffic of downtown. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We only ate breakfast there, but, it was fresh and delicious. Our routine was breakfast, short walk to the Strassenbahn, and then boarding the UBAHN to the other cities. The Mecure was exactly what we needed for our vacation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HappyCharleston
Stefan A, General Manager at Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear HappyCharleston,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

New York City
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed here several years ago. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfast was good. Due to a cell phone / travel plan issue I had to place an overseas call of 10 minutes in duration to another colleague staying at the Mercure Hotel in Ginza. Little did I know that this call would cost me 40 euro! The desk staff was uncompromising at this exorbitant fee. As I handed over my banknotes I remarked to the clerk that I was previously under the impression that Germany was developed country with modern telecommunications networks but obviously I was wrong.

Dear Landcuo,

We thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel & Residenz Frankfurt Messe. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your total expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Firstly i have stayed in lots of hotel all over the world while doing Exhibition but this hotel well is the worst i have ever stayed in.
I have to say i arrived with my team for and was given a single bed for 14 nights stay and not in the hotel in the residenz part which is two blocks over the road.
The food is over priced and not that good and the bar closes very early and the staff well dont go there. Some of bar staff well if the is a course in CUSTOMER SERVICE they did not go the course a smile or a warm welcome forget it.

The hotel is 10 mins walk to the messe which is good for late nights at the show ground but that is it

Stay at the Novtel down the road would be better.

Good points are close to work and the sauna and that is it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Toxic69

Travellers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

Villefranche-du-Perigord, France
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I enjoyed my stay at The Mecure Hotel Frankfurt. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The restaurant facilities were fine. Good meals and service. The rooms were of a high standard very clean and adequately furnished.

The only downside was the distance from the The Messe, the exhibition center.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I am always a fan of mercure´s. all over the world it has the same (good) standard and this one is not different. really good rooms and staff... and the breakfast was better than the average. this hotel is near the train station (SBAHN AND UBAHN) and 5 minutes from frankfurt downtown. I really recommend it!

2 Thank rblacerda
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 October 2013

On a trip across Europe in one week, this hotel was a solid experience. Great value, nice room with a balcony, good sound proofing, and professional staff. Internet quality was high. Modern decoration and comfortable bed. The one weird element is checkin being in one building, but the room was across the street. A bit annoying carrying bags as there aren't ramps. Nice traditional German restaurant less than 5 minutes away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business