“Friendly, helpful staff”

The Westin Grand Frankfurt
Ranked #36 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I was in Frankfurt for work and decided to extend my stay by a couple of days. I got an excellent deal on the Westin, which was in a neighbourhood I had stayed in before. It is convenient for public transport and walkable to the centre of town and shopping areas.

The hotel is very nice and clean. Although I got an amazing deal (paid less than 25% of the rack rate) from lastminute.com, the staff still upgraded me when my room was not available when I arrived (after 4 pm, so well after check-in time). Throughout my stay I found the staff courteous and helpful.

Like many luxury hotels, the Westin knows its clientele have money and prices the extras accordingly. Wi-fi access, access to the loby computers and breakfast were ridiculously expensive, so I avoided them. The mini-bar does have room for your own items, so I bought some breakfast staples and ate in the room on my own. The hotel website boasts about in-room espresso machines, but what it doesn't tell you is that after you use up the initial lot of free espresso, there is a charge for refills. Other snack and mini-bar items were equally overpriced.

The pool was nice, though small. The choice of English language TV stations is better than average (some non-news channels available).

All in all, I'm glad I stayed here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank rbgs
Vanessa_Witsch, Leiter Gästebetreuung at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

Dear rbgs,

First of all I would like to thank you for this very detailed description of your stay at the Westin Grand Frankfurt – I am glad you decided to spontaneously stay with us!

I agree that many third party websides do have very attractive deals and we are thankful for their huge support. However we do have one special category - the Grand Deluxe rooms - which if you book one of those include free internet. If you wish I will take personal care on any upcoming stay with us and please feel free to contact me any time,

Dear rbgs, I look forward to welcoming you back personally and remain at your disposal

Reviewed 3 June 2011

I am a very experienced business traveler and had the good fortune of staying at the Westin Grand Frankfurt. The hotel itself is excellent with very rare antique autos as part of the upscale decor. Location is excellent, close to the shopping district, river, historic sites, museums, etc.- so if you weekend over this is a great spot.

The service was outstanding.....specific case in point: I managed to leave a bracelet (gift for my wife) in the room upon checkout. I realized my mistake a day after checkout. Calling from a different city I alerted the staff. As it turns out the housekeeper had found the bracelet, and turned it in. The staff then packaged and sent it to my home. The Westin staff on their own volition tracked the package through the German mail system, then through international package tracking to find that it was hung up in US Cutoms....calling me in the US to alert me of the status. Long story short- they went way beyond expectations to make up for my mistake.

Top flight hotel, great location, service beyond expectation.

Scott Wilson

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank WilsonScottB

Dear Mr. Wilson,

Le me thank you on behalf of the entire housekeeping team for your most valuable and honest feedback and for sharing such a great compliment with them!

Being a frequent traveller you will imagine the enormous quantity of things that are being left behind in hotels on a daily base and we treat all of them with great care, because we all know how frustrating it is to displace or loose things!

I am glad your wife finally got the bracelet and I am sure with this history it will mean even more to her!

Dear Mr. Wilson, next time you come to visit us you must come together and we will have some phenomenal sight seeing and leisure tips for you prepared!

Sunny regards to even sunnier California

Reviewed 2 June 2011

The hotel was good and location also was very good. all shopping places close by

walkable distance. Rooms were fantastic, and breakfast spread was superb. and you will find chinese restaurant attach to the hotel which is also good one.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

Dear ahmedf,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and impressions with us and let me tell you that we loved to read that you loved your stay with us!

I totally agree with you – shopping in Frankfurt is simply a joy and not only the famous Zeil with its malls and stores, but also the high end Goethestrasse is worth it to stop by. And the good thing is that you can reach everything without moving a car or without having to use the subway, because it is all walking distance as you say!

Dear ahmedf, since you are planning to be back please give me the possibility to give you some more shopping insider Tips and feel free to contact me directly,

See you soon

Reviewed 16 May 2011

I have just spent one night at the Westin and overall I found this to be a very impressive hotel. I read with intetest the other review in May, where they complained about the air conditioning. I had a similar experiance, where it did not matter how much you changed the dial, the room temperature did not change. I was lucky that it was not a hot night, and I was able to open my window. This is the only complaint I had as the room itself was excellent. The bed rates as the 3rd best I have every slept in and the bathroom was clean and had evry thing you would need including a double shower head. WiFi was free during the stay and the buffet breakfast, which was part of my package could not be faulted. A huge selection of hot and cold food, even sparkling wine if you wanted.
Overall a 1st class hotel, just need to sort out the air conditioning.

Room Tip: Ask if the airconditioning works.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Vanessa_Witsch, Leiter Gästebetreuung at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2011

Dear PedroSydney,

I herewith would like to thank you for providing such a detailed description of your experiences at the Westin Grand Frankfurt with us and with Tripadvisor!

Your feedback and the former one of another honest traveller gave us the perfect opportunity to generally examine our air conditioning and as a consequence the temperature is now adjusted and should suit as many guests as possible!

It is wonderful to see you enjoyed your time spent with us and that you especially liked our Westin heavenly bed, which is indeed unique! As you may imagine we are curious about number one and two of your TOP hotel beds!

Dear PedroSydney, I hope you had a pleasant and safe journey back to Australia and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 9 May 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights during April 2011. Fantastic location as others have pointed out. We checked in and turned the AC on as it was very hot outside and left for the day. Came back after several hours and room was lukewarm! Called the desk, engineer came down to fix it, claimed that the AC was at its best and there was nothing he could do as that was how the hotel was built. Then he expected us to tip him!

Well, we call down the desk to tell them that the room was sweltering, their response was to open the window! We tried and the window was locked. Had to call down again and soon a gentlemen showed up with a consent form to sign for opening the window absolving the hotel of any responsibility if we leaped out of the window. By this point I was almost ready to do so.

So 4 nights spent sweating in the room, the desk did not offer to change the room saying only that it was like this throughout the hotel as it was summer. REALLY ? The purpose of the AC is to keep the rooms cold when it is not so outside.

All in all, very disappointed in the hotel as it was otherwise a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear ATREU,

Let me thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope you accept my sincere apologies for not having met your expectations. Heat and temperature are of course something very subjective, but there should have been definitely a more adequate solution for you.

In order to make a proper follow up on what caused the technical incident I would highly appreciate you to contact me directly, which will give me the possibilty to further avoid anything similar.

Dear ATREU, please be assured that it is our highest focus to constantly maintain our standards and to have every single guest leaving the hotel with a wonderful memory. Therefore I may promise you that I will personally take all necessary steps on your next visit to the Westin Grand Frankfurt, to make you experience the real Westin feeling, which is supposed to be personal, instinctive and renewal!

All the best and yours sincerely

Reviewed 4 May 2011

We were not in Frankfurt for work or business, or a stop-over. We travelled with children to Frankfurt who had very specific demands: schnitzels and castles. Frankfurt fulfilled both demands beautifully. We also stayed in the best hotel in the city. The hotel staff were perfect - they assisted us with all requests no matter how small. Even my 11 year old son commented that the service was "so much better than other hotels". The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel has a lovely pool (which can be warmer?) and gym. The location is the icing on the cake - it's a 50m walk to Zeil (a fantastic mall lined with shops and cafes). All in all, it was the perfect experience. Thank you to the Westin Staff in Frankfurt. We hope to see you again very soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jogoony
Vanessa_Witsch, Leiter Gästebetreuung at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Dear jogoony,

As you may imagine your compliments are a true delight for the entire team of the Westin Grand Frankfurt and we are glad you all experienced such a inspiring time with us!

It is a special honour that even your 11 year old son enjoyed the difference – children are very honest and that means a lot to us!

On your future visit to Frankfurt I would like to give you some more personal recommendations about the city and I would imagine you will love to see the small and cosy market at the square “Konstabler Wache” around the corner, which takes place every Thursday and Saturday and where both locals and international visitors get together for a glass of “äbbelwoi! / apple wine or some snacks.

Hoping to see you again soon I send you warm regards to Australia

Reviewed 30 April 2011

After getting stuck with the snow just before Christmas we ended up spending one night in Frankfurt which we had not been anticipating. Booked into The Westin and could not have been happier. A long delay at London meant we missed our onward flight and this hotel was a haven on peace and quiet. Lovely big room with all possible amenities and very helpful staff who checked flights and train schedules for us. We walked to the Christmas Market in the old part of town and had a good meal and then collapsed into bed, extremely comfortable. We left early the next morning so did not have breakfast but I am sure it would have been excellent.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Osric

Dear Osric,

It is such a big compliment that you still think of us after 6 months and I would like to thank you for this gesture!

We all remember all the travellers being stuck in Frankfurt due to the chaotic weather situation and I am glad you made the best out of it! The Christmas market in Frankfurt is very famous in Germany and people from all over the world especially enjoy the cosy atmosphere and the huge variety of culinary highlights!

I hope to welcoming you back before Christmas – how about a sunny summer weekend to join a boat excursion on the Main river – and whenever I can be of any assistance please feel free to contact me directly

yours sincerely