“Excellent hotel and location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Grand Frankfurt

The Westin Grand Frankfurt
Ranked #31 of 267 Hotels in Frankfurt
Winnipeg, Canada
“Excellent hotel and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I found the service to be excellent across the hotel. Executive Club and the GrandSeven had great service. Room was spacious and comfortable - especially for a European hotel.

Location was great. Very close to financial area and right on the main shopping street and Christmas markets.

It will be on my return list of hotels.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
GMWestin F, General Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Rory M,
What a lovely review! Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we are delighted about your compliments and look forward to welcoming you soon again.
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Excellent service and a great location. Right next to the shopping street and quite a few good restaurants. Guest services team has to be mentioned for the great service, Silvia went out of the way to get restaurant reservation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GMWestin F, General Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear jonech,

Thank you very much for posting this lovely review. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.
With best regards
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Grand Frankfurt for a bit of a splurge following a month long holiday in the UK and Europe. First impressions, the hotel could not be faulted. Front desk staff and those in the bar were cheerful and efficient. The room was spacious and well equipped.

A critical let down however was the housekeeping. We stayed 2 nights and although we were out till early afternoon following our first night, our room had still not been attended to although it did appear the Nespresso coffee and complimentary water had been replenished. Unfortunately when the room was finally made up we were left with only hand towels and had to call for bath towels to be brought up to the room. The first day we were given 2 bottles of water but only 1 drinking glass was on the table so we had to use one from the bathroom. The following day even though both bottles of water were consumed we received only one replacement. Not being familiar with Nespresso machines we found the instructions limited. We received 3 pods in different colours though we couldn't tell what they were. Also 3 capsules for 2 persons would seem to be a little skimpy and the sugar was not replenished. That was all a bit disappointing as the hotel advertises the complimentary Nespresso coffee as a room feature. Free WiFi was available in all public areas however in a 5 star hotel which comes at a price, surely this could be extended to rooms as well. Overall the service did not live up to its rating.

We would possibly stay here again but would welcome more attention to detail with the housekeeping. In the end it is the location rather than the hotel features that would be the decider. The hotel is located around the corner from the Zeil pedestrian street and the U-Bahn station. A Farmers Market is also held at there on Thursdays and Saturdays with fresh produce and delightful food offerings.

Room Tip: Room faced the street but was very quite.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Ingynneus,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review - we are grateful for your constructive feedback which we take very seriously.

We regret very much that you were missing the attention to detail and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences. Please be assured that the necessary measures have been taken to avoid such shortcomings in future.

Your feedback will certainly help us to intervene and improve the overall quality of our services and our guests experience.
We hope you will give us the chance to demonstrate that we do care and look forward to welcoming you back to Frankfurt in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for any assistance

Executive Assistant manager
Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

My bottom line is that I don't know if I would come back to this hotel if I had to visit Frankfurt.

The room was American-size and pleasantly-furnished, very quiet despite the hotel's excellent location near one of the main downtown shopping areas, and only a 10-minute walk to the Commerzbank Tower, which is pretty much the center of town. The bed was king-size and comfortable. The air-conditioning worked well.

The bathroom was in comparison quite small (about 6 square meters if that), and had the usual European bathtub with 1/3 glass screen that lets in cold drafts while you shower, while water leaks copiously onto the floor. European hotels with international pretensions should really hire bathroom designers who have travelled outside Europe.

Service was efficient but lacking in warmth. I have just come from a month in Italy, where almost every hotel staff member makes you feel like a long-lost friend (whether truly-felt or not, they put on a good show).

As someone who has lived on 3 continents and traveled extensively in a fourth, I am not especially sensitive to racially-biased treatment, but here I had a less than perfect experience at breakfast. On my first morning, the receptionist took my room number, then left me to my own devices. Waiters were quick to offer seats, warm greetings, and advice to Germans and Middle-Eastern visitors, but utterly, totally ignored me (I am Asian). I found a table by myself, and was still ignored, even as coffee was offered to the Germans near me. (I served myself from a machine.) Throughout the 30 minutes I spent there, not once did any waiter make any attempt to address me.

The next day, the receptionist again took my room number, then saw to it that, 5 minutes after I had seated myself (again, no greeting or attempt at service), a waitress pointedly left a bill for me to sign. When later I spoke to the receptionist about the subject of signing a check, I mentioned that the day before I hadn't even signed a check (because no waiter had ever taken the least notice of me), whereupon she said "I know, but we put it on your bill anyway" - as if accusing me of trying to skip (though they had asked my room number when I arrived, which pretty much rules that possibility out).

To sum this incident up, on my first day at breakfast they failed utterly to serve me in any way, and I wound up leaving without ever learning that there was a check to be signed (in most hotels that ask for your room number upon your arrival at the restaurant, there isn't, otherwise why bother asking for the room number at all?). On the second day, I was watched like a hawk to make sure I didn't try to avoid signing again. And when I spoke with the receptionist, instead of apologizing for utterly ignoring me the first day, she triumphantly declared, in so many words, that my attempt to skip yesterday's bill had failed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MannyG2000
GMWestin F, General Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for letting us know your experience – it gives us the opportunity to re-act and take up the shortcomings.

We are very concerned to read about your service experience at breakfast and regret very much the unfortunate shortcomings. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences and for the bad feeling that we caused to you. I may assure you that there is no intention to treat our international clientele in different ways, and we are very sorry for the misunderstandings in this regard. Please be assured that we take your feedback very seriously and we are taking up this service issue with our restaurant staff.

Therefore, I would be very grateful if you contact me directly so that we may properly follow-up and investigate in detail.

We hope that you would give us another chance to prove our service and look forward to hearing from you,

with best regards,
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We came to the hotel on Friday the 15th of November for a two nights stay.
The hotel was chosen for its superb location, which is less than 100 meters from Zeil strasse.
This location enabled us to do round trips between the shops and the hotel, relieving us from the need to carry around bags.
The hotel itself is of high quality and service, with a very warm and hospitable design.
The room was very spacious with a king sized bed. There is a lighting problem in the room becoming especially annoying during winter when there is barely any sunlight.
I have my "pillow test" as a measure to the quality of the bed and sleep. Although the bed is very comfortable, and you can sleep a whole night without meeting your wife ( ;) ), the pillows are very thin and long causing you to try to manipulate and engineer it for a better position.
I have remembered that I booked the hotel including breakfast, but when we came to eat breakfast on our first morning we got very surprised. A few minutes after we sat down a waiter came with a check with the shocking price of 31 Euros per person. Needless to say that the breakfast does not offer a return for such a large sum. There is quite a large variety offered but not 62 Euros worth.
It is amazing to still find high class hotels around the world that offer WiFi for money, and not for free. WiFI is a basic requirement for the modern life, and this is the last time that I will book a hotel without free WiFi. They charge 6 euros an hour or 16 euros per day. You have a great Starbucks coffee shop around the corner from the hotel that offers free WiFi with good coffee.
So, if you are looking for a shopping vacation in Frankfurt than it is a great hotel, but remember that all other services are offered and available around the hotel with very close proximity for a quarter of the price.

Room Tip: Don't take rooms with a higher number than x40, otherwise they will be far from the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMWestin F, General Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Tomer 76,

Thank you for leaving your impressions on the Tripadvisor and taking the time to give us your detailed the feedback.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel and especially its convenient location for shopping. We noted your comments on wifi internet which is free in the lobby and restaurant and only included in higher room categories

Your point regarding the lighting in the room is very valuable and we have taken up to get an improvement.

Hoping to welcoming you soon again for your next shopping vacation,
with best regards,
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed in the summer. The suite was big enough for a family of four with two grown children. Access to lounge was a big plus, a quite place away from the crowd.
Hotel is right at the city center with shops close by.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Traveler M
GMWestin F, General Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for charing your experience and for positive feedback. Looking forward to welcoming you soon again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a short visit to the University Hospital. We wanted somewhere comfortable that was close to the hospital and to the usual tourist amenities. We weren't disappointed. The hotel was welcoming, with a pleasant bar / reception area, good service at reception and very comfortable beds. We were 5 minutes walk from the main central shopping area with plenty of bars and restaurants and some excellent stores for some early Christmas shopping. The Concierge staff were excellent. We asked directions to a shop to buy shaving kit (I had forgotten mine). They brought me a travel shaving kit free of charge to see me over to the next day. They also approached us as we were leaving the hotel to ask if we needed help in choosing a restaurant - and then gave us some very helpful advice. The only drawback is that the minibars and bars were very expensive - I guess that goes with the territory for a 5 star hotel in the middle of a German city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMWestin F, General Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Brian C.,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Grand for your stay in Frankfurt and for your very positive review. We greatly appreciate your wonderful comments and compliments for our Concierge service - we are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.