“good location”

Ranked #28 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Chicago, Illinois
“good location”
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Good location in the middle of Frankfurt. Walked to Christmas market and shops. Nice reception area and bar. Friendly efficient staff. Rooms pleasant although there was a little street noise. Clean and the bathroom was nicely decorated and spotless too. Only downside was that we were not able to adjust the heating and found the room stuffy and too warm for sleeping comfortably. May be our fault as we could have rung down to reception, I am sure they would have helped. Having said that, I would stay there again though.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
miribal, management at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 7 December 2009
Dear irishdancer65

Thank you for your recent stay at the Westin Grand Frankfurt.
We are very delighted to hear about the positive feedback you left on this website. Thank you very much for the time you invested in that. It is a great pleasure to see that your stay with us exceeded your expectations. We are looking forward to welcome you back at our hotel and please do not hesitate to contact service express or myself during your stay for any kind of service issues.

Best wishes
Miriam Siner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland
Reviewed 30 November 2009

The hotel is nice. Not new but the location is excellent and the rooms are clean and confortable. One huge issue for me is the internet service in the rooms. They advertise "High Speed Internet" and charge 22 Euro for it but it's slower than the dial up internet that I used over ten years ago. It's taking one to three minutes on average to go from one screen to another. Sometimes it takes over five minutes. I'm working from my room every evening and this internet service is unacceptable. Tomorrow morning I plan on visiting some local cell phone stores to see if I can get an alternative internet solution. If not, I'll have to move to another hotel where I can get my work done. Too bad since everything else about this hotel is nice.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Northwest_Dude
miribal, Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 1 December 2009
Dear Bethany_Dude ,

Thank you very much for your comments at tripadvisor.com.
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your nice ranking about our hotel in general.
We apologize for the high speed internet performance which you had during your stay.
Our IT and technician team is already informed and is working on a faster solution.
We hope you will give us a second chance and would be happy to welcome you back.

Best regards
San Francisco
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Great hotel - rooms are spacious and modern, staff is awesome (the doorman helped me with an overcharging cab driver and got money back for me - thanks Mr. Kapoor!). Spa is also a great add - had the opportunity to get a massage there and it was very relaxing. Breakfast buffet is plentiful, but way too expensive to have every day. Location is good - close to shopping and some decent restaurants.

Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Qflyer
miribal, Management at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 24 November 2009
Dear Qflyer,
Many thanks for staying at our hotel and writing such a delightful comment about your stay on Tripadvisor.com.
We are always very happy to read about our guests having a great time at the Westin Grand Hotel.
It was very nice of you to comment our staff the way you did! Our associates are dedicated to being always very conscientious and accommodating and we know that we can always rely on their best efforts.
We will be very happy to inform our doorman Mr. Kapoor about your positive comment!
Thank you again for your friendly comments and we hope to see you soon at the Westin Grand Frankfurt!

With kind regards
London
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights for a conference, and I have to say I was very impressed. The hotel was excellent in many respects, and although, as with all hotels, it had its flaws, the flaws were really pretty minor compared with the good bits.

The bedroom was a good size (not huge, but perfectly adequate and probably above average for a city centre hotel), and very comfortable. It even had a little coffee machine, as well as all the other things you'd expect to find, like a safe, minibar, and ironing board. But the best thing about it was the bathroom, which was the nicest hotel bathroom I can remember having for a very long time. It had lovely granite surfaces around the sink and the bath, beautiful marble wall tiles, a heated mirror (so it doesn't mist up when you've had a shower) and a rather fun double shower head. Very luxurious.

One negative of the bedroom was that there was no free internet access.

The conference in the hotel ran very smoothly. The conference rooms were very pleasant, and there were no problems with technical backup. Nice pastries with the coffee breaks. I really can't fault the hotel at all for the way the conference was looked after.

The bar was a pleasant place to sit and have a drink with colleagues, with some nice comfy seating and pleasant surroundings. However, there were times when it was a little hard to find someone to bring drinks, and a couple of times we gave up and had to go and order drinks at the bar, which is a little disappointing in a hotel of this class. Another downside was that on one afternoon there were some extremely noisy children in the bar, running around and playing with very intrusive electric cars. This was very distracting, and I'm rather suprised and disappointed that it was tolerated.

Breakfast was pretty good. Not the best in the whole world, but perfectly adequate. The Weisswurst in particular get an honourable mention. There was a good choice of hot and cold food as well as fresh fruit.

The reception staff were very helpful. They spoke excellent English if required, but weren't patronising enough to speak English automatically if foreign guests were making a reasonable stab at talking to them in German. I always find it a bit annoying if someone speaks back to me in English if I'm actually doing a reasonable job of speaking in the local language, so it's nice that they didn't do that.

The standard checkout time is 12 pm, but they happily agreed to let me have until 1 pm without charging extra after I asked them. I guess that depends on how busy they are, so YMMV. However, I was a little less impressed when I found that my room key was cancelled at 12 pm despite the agreed late checkout. It was quickly reprogrammed when I went back to reception, but I was a little disappointed that I had to.

Finally, I should mention the cars. The hotel has a little collection of classic cars in the communal areas, which is a rather unusual feature. I'm not much of a petrol head myself, but if you are a car person, you'd probably find it fascinating.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
miribal, Management at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 18 November 2009
Dear NautiusMaximus,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Westin Grand Frankfurt.
We are very delighted to hear about the positive feedback you left on this website. We appreciate very much the time you invested in that and it is a great pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your positive comments about the cleanliness and facilities in our room, especially the heavenly bath® shower head, which are unique.
We continuously focus on improving our performance and to keep it at the highest possible level. Therefore we regret that our bar service was not to your satisfaction and comments like yours give us the chance to improve our services.
Thank you for the nice comments about the banqueting and breakfast as well, we try to give our guests that extra bit of power in the morning and during their coffee breaks with our special super foods®, which are healthy and also delicious.

We hope to see you soon again at the Westin Grand Frankfurt.

Yours sincerely,
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I don't have much to say about the hotel that has not already been said. It is clean, effecient, comfortable, convenient and very expensive. I only spent one night here in transit to somewhere else so I did not explore the hotel or use any of its service (except the internet.) But I have no complaints.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
miribal, Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 9 November 2009
Dear "Marfak",
Thank you for the kind feedback which we have received from you. In the name of the entire Team of the Westin Grand Frankfurt Hotel we would like to say “Thank you”. We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel, hopefully you can spend more time at the hotel to convince you of our product and our excellent services.

With kind regards
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed 25 October 2009

I can't answer that question.

The hotel is nice, though terribly overpriced. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. However, this hotel definitely does not live up to a 5 star rating.

There was no valet to take my car when I arrived (and I "arrived" each day from the conference). The breakfast closes very early, is expensive and overrated.

There's just nothing special about this hotel, especially given that Frankfurt is flooded with far too many hotels.

One important word of advice, DO NOT bring a car if you can avoid it. The hotel charged 25 euro per night for parking. That's a hefty premium on what you are already paying for the room.

1 Thank theskaven
London
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Perfect location for me- right next to the main shopping street and 10 minutes from the old town- on foot (20-30 mins drive to the airport). So 10/10 on that count. Despite the ridiculous price (not worth 245 euros in any way)- this is why I picked it- knowing I wld only be there 1 night. If paying myself- I wld have stayed elsewhere tho....

The hotel tho looks like a 70s style hotel (and probably is?) and I am a bit baffled with what Starwood are doing in Germany - westins : most are not luxury, character properties. And some of the hotels in their portfolio are pretty bad...

I reportedly had an upgraded room- looked pretty average tho to me, and not big... And very dark and brown coloured (sorry- but this is so boring and masculine- could someone not use more imagination with the decor?). A plus is a nespresso machine- a bit of a battle to get it to work to be able to use the ration of 3 capsules but all ok in the end!!! The bed was fine- which was the main thing. Not too bad noise wise once the room service contingent had stopped using the service lift just opposite my room.

Staff were ok- but not as friendly as some hotels- although if you come in later in the day- they look like they are economising on staff- no concierge on and frequently only 1 person on the reception desk.

I did not bother with breakfast as I was heading to the airport fairly early- I hate to think what they charge for that...

A very average hotel. Perfectly acceptable stay tho- except for the price.....

2 Thank Kate70
miribal, management at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 14 October 2009
Dear kate70,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Westin Grand Hotel Frankfurt and are lucky that the hotels location was perfect for your stay.

We are sorry to hear that our new renovated hotel, designed in the typical character for which Westin stays for, unfortunately does not suite your taste.
The Westin Grand Frankfurt is famous and known in the Starwood family as one of the most authentic Westin hotels in the world. Our complete refurbishment in 2007 was completely done and followed by the Standards of Westin.
Your opinion and the one of every guest who stayed in this hotel are important and helpful to us. Without your feedback we are unable to improve weaknesses. It is certainly in the interest of the hotel that you are able to enjoy your stay. We regret that your impression of our Front Office Team was not as we are used to hear.
I hope you will soon make another trip to Frankfurt and stay at our hotel to convince you of our services. We look forward to seeing you!

Best Regards