“Westin Standard - but not 5* read my review for details why only avarage” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Grand Frankfurt

The Westin Grand Frankfurt
Ranked #31 of 267 Hotels in Frankfurt
Ulm, Germany
“Westin Standard - but not 5* read my review for details why only avarage”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

I wonder if any Westin in the US is rated five stars? The Westin Grand in Frankfurt/Main is the old "Arabella Sheraton" and I can't help: you can still notice it!

The pool elevator has broken mirrors (inside the lift just used adhesives to keep it together) and many dents on lift-doors (at least our SPG floor). As this doesn't look like it happend yesterday it looks like the hotel management doesn't seem to care or take efforts to fix it (Starwood's policy?)

The room design is the well known standard Westin like around the world, the public areas (decor in the hotel bar, lamps etc.) seems still to be the Arabella decor from 1985 or so....

Service is efficent and fast (our toilett lid had a crack when we entered the room but they managed to repair it within minutes when we were at the pool), we got a room upgrade due to my gold SPG status even it was priceline win (a $90 bid won) and we got invited for cocktail in the bar (no tip needed).

No need to say that they still have a huge charge for Wifi (everywhere, not free in lobby as in US), however pool and Sauna is free of extra charge. Breakfast and Parking overpriced as usual in Hotel chains who rate themselves 5*...

The hotel is in a very good position for both shopping, public transportation and also for airport access with the S-Bahn (no train change needed, subway station is 1min walking).

However I was missing the real 5* feeling (as e.g. in Berlin Marriott), so my evaluation can't be more than average in this case (however recommended)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joe1968

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

This hotel was booked using the Starwood website - staff were very helpful and the service excellent. Just 30m away you will find yourself in the high street with some of the best shopping available. The downside to this location was that it was bit too far from the train station and other attractions. Perfect hotel for the businessman. Anyone staying at this hotel must take advantage of the beautiful swimming pool area - it is the best place to relax. The breakfast was outstanding - extensive buffet for Euro31. Husband was not too happy with the combined bath/shower. Otherwise a very nice hotel, a bit pricey, enjoyed by all - children were very impressed by the vintage car exhibit.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Maliga
miribal, Management at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 12 January 2010
Dear Maliga,
Thank you for choosing the Westin Grand Frankfurt for your recent stay in Frankfurt and for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay.

Our hotel is indeed at a very convenient location – and we do our best to make travelers as comfortable as possible during their stay at our hotel.

Our emotion spa and pool area is indeed the place to relax and to rejuvenate.

I do understand your concerns about our breakfast price but can confirm that we are aligned with our local competitors.

Dear Maliga, I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the Westin Grand Frankfurt in the not too distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Warm regards

USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

I usually stay at the Hilton but the usual corporate rates were unavailable there so I opted to stay here. While the Hilton is slightly more centrally located (although not by much really, as the Zeil is right near the Westin entrance), I liked the Westin better. First, the room rates are cheaper, period. And if you get the all-in breakfast package, given how expensive things are in Frankfurt, you are getting a really good deal. The Hilton nickel and dimes you on everything, not a very pleasant atmosphere on that score. Second, the Westin gym is free while the Hilton makes you pay 25 EUR unless you are Hilton Honors (because the Hilton gym is technically part of Wave fitness; after erroneously allowing me to use the Hilton gym last time, they left a letter under my door saying I really should not have been allowed to use it because I wasn't Hilton Honors but they would allow me to continue using it a courtesy...give me a break). And while I didn't use the spa, it seemed quite nice. Third, if you are inclined to take a subway, it's extremely conveniently located. Fourth, while the room was roughly the same as the Hilton's, the Westin bathroom was bigger (although the two shower heads were a tad difficult to adjust, you can only turn them sideways). Last, the overall atmosphere was much more warm and friendly; it really feels comfortable Two minor criticisms: 1) reduce the room internet fee; and 2) keep your bar costs down.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank NEBizguy
miribal, Management at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 8 January 2010
Dear NEBizguy,
it has been a great pleasure to reading your kind words and we do honestly thank you for your constructive feedback about your experiences at the Westin Grand Frankfurt! Your opinion is what counts and we hope to welcoming you back soon! With warm regards from snowy Frankfurt

Richmond, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

Visiting Frankfurt for the Christmas Market, hotel location excellent for Christmas Market. Although did not eat in hotel as we had a drink at bar and found it very very expensive. 24 euros for one half of larger, a barcardi and coke and a pot of tea. Funny smell in reception area each time you walked into the hotel, like a stink bomb had gone off. Had a problem with the shower but sorted whilst we were out. Did not use the T.V. but on last morning tried the same and found out there were no batteries in the remote, so could not use anyway. Beds very comfortable. Great swimming pool, nice to relax around the pool after all the walking. Would defintely consider booking with this Group of Hotels in the future if they have a hotel located in the area we will be visiting.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank BMLloyd
evesham,uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2009

Thought I would write a quick review as I believe that I received excellent service whilst stopping here from the reception staff right through to the spa staff.
The room was lovely and well stocked with tea/coffee making supplies and the room was always cleaned to the highest standard. The reception staff were polite and also extremely helpful. The spa was lovely and we made use of the gym/pool and sauna.
One little negative, when we entered the lobby on 2 occasions (which was VERY imprssive) there was an awful smell of what smelt like drains and this ruined it slightly and not really what you expect from a hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mellieha1978
Dear Mellieha1978,
we are more than pleased to hear that you enjoyed the time spent with us and that especially our service level convinced you. Certainly we also took note about the one point you think we could still do better and we thank you for your honest words and for taking the time to share your experience! Hoping to see you back soon, be well

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2009

The Westin Grand Hotel in Frankfurt has to be my favourite hotel. The moment I check in till the time I check out I can’t complain and I am a very fussy guest. In many hotels westins alike something has gone wrong or I may have switched rooms a dozen times but here in the westin Frankfurt it is just simply out standing. The 2nd stay left me speechless, I booked the grand deluxe room, when I checked in at 22:00 really tired yet hungry, I was greeted my really warm and friendly staff and I found out like upgraded me to a junior suite.
A porter took me to my room, and it was just simply perfect, with fresh flowers, Bose surround system, really modern, really fresh a two room suite. I ordered dinner to my room, 3 course meal which was really yummy and to say the best apple strudel that I have tasted in bed and I simply relaxed with a jumbo cocktail in their giant bath.

The best of Frankfurt is the stay at this hotel. The staff are really lovely, very friendly and attentive, room are modern, perfect and really clean. Food is simply delicious.

Hands down this is a great 5 star hotel!! Just outstanding.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank euroboyde
miribal, management at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 16 December 2009
Dear euroboy,

Many, many thanks for staying at our hotel again and writing such a delightful comment about your stay.
Our hotel is the right place for travelers who put great emphasis on service and attention to detail. We are always trying to go the extra mile for the benefit and well-being of our guests. I am glad that you appreciate our efforts and have become a regular guest of the Westin Grand Frankfurt.
We look forward to seeing you again and will do our very best to turn that stay also into a thoroughly enjoyable experience for you.

Merry Christmas to you and a happy new year.

Best wishes
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

Good location in the middle of Frankfurt. Walked to Christmas market and shops. Nice reception area and bar. Friendly efficient staff. Rooms pleasant although there was a little street noise. Clean and the bathroom was nicely decorated and spotless too. Only downside was that we were not able to adjust the heating and found the room stuffy and too warm for sleeping comfortably. May be our fault as we could have rung down to reception, I am sure they would have helped. Having said that, I would stay there again though.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
miribal, management at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 7 December 2009
Dear irishdancer65

Thank you for your recent stay at the Westin Grand Frankfurt.
We are very delighted to hear about the positive feedback you left on this website. Thank you very much for the time you invested in that. It is a great pleasure to see that your stay with us exceeded your expectations. We are looking forward to welcome you back at our hotel and please do not hesitate to contact service express or myself during your stay for any kind of service issues.

Best wishes