“Great Location, great food, outstanding service”

The Westin Grand Frankfurt
Ranked #34 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Austin, Texas
“Great Location, great food, outstanding service”
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Traveling over one third of the year I am very familiar with Starwood Properties. Starwood hotels/locations are rated by a star ranking system such as the one you are reading now (some are noted as finer than others). This ranking system however, is not always as accurate as one would hope. While at times properties unravel as huge disappointments, punctuated with great frustration; quite frequently, accommodations, services and my experiences with them are better than expected. Much better. The Westin Grand in Frankfurt is definitely in the latter category.

The hotel is located right off of one of the major shopping areas in Frankfurt, The Zeil. On the Zeil one would be able to locate anything from q-tips to quince, with everything in between and upon their return, be greeted by a smiling bellman. While the hotel's lobby is beautiful and spacious, it is so without seeming an impersonal cavern. The rooms are contemporary, stylish, clean and uncluttered (the high end type one might expect in Germany). Toiletries are more than adequate and the house keeping staff we found extremely patient with odd schedules. Given that we were two women sisters) traveling together alone, it was a relief that at no time did we ever feel (even in the slightest way), unsafe in the neighborhood where the hotel is located.

On the whole, we experienced very good service (with a few and specific "outstanding", "above and beyond" moments). Since I travel a great deal (where and when available), I have the luxury of accessing Starwood's Executive Clubs. These facilities are a wonderful answer to long, hectic work days. Especially for those of us who ARE away from home all too often. Having a quiet place to go relax and enjoy a small bite to eat with a glass of wine , beer or a soft drink is quite frankly, a consideration before I make my reservation. Here at the Frankfurt Westin Grand, the service providers in the Executive Club are some of the best I have ever found. Vanessa, Dave and Jana were three of the reasons I didn't mind such a long stay away from my home in the States. There were certainly other's that did an adequate job but these three I am confident to say will always insure a pleasurable experience. They not only worked especially hard, they obviously enjoyed and were dedicated to their positions. Whether assisting unfamiliar guests with finding specific sites, signing you onto a computer or in recommending the best German sore throat lozenges, one felt cared about. Cared about, not just from the point of an employee doing their job, but rather a friend. Their extra effort in addition to the Westin's terrific concierge/bell staff, insured a restful and relaxed stay during a time that normally one might have found difficult to be away (I was gone for over a month at Christmas).

I can and DO whole heartily recommend this wonderful Starwood Hotel and urge those in the "carpeted offices" to raise their ratings in an effort to reflect the level of service and quality of stay that they continually provide.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Vanessa_Witsch, Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
Dear PandP02,

WOW - what an amazing compliment! After reading your summary I had to immediately share it with the entire team and of course especially with the colleagues you mentioned - That definately made their day and will keep a smile on their faces!

Nowadays travellers all over the world have such a huge choice of beautiful properties where to stay at and the only way to make a real difference and to stay in peoples memories is the type of service culture you deliver - and that has to come from the heart in order to be authentic!

Dear PandP02, I am truely honored to have such a fantastic team and glad you had a memorable experience at the Westin Grand Frankfurt!

Wish you a wonderful time and hope to see you again very soon!

Westin Executive Club Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tervuren
Reviewed 29 December 2010

A perfectly clean and enjoyable hotel, very well situated near city centre shopping area. Has a most enjoyable pool/spa area and a very nice club lounge, staff is remarkably friendly.

• Stayed November 2010
Vanessa_Witsch, Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Dear Frank_BE,

A delayed happy new year to you and I hope you had a fantastic start and look forward to an exciting and lucky 2011 – we do!

I am delighted to read you fully enjoyed our emotionSpa and the Westin Executive Club. Trust me there is nothing better for a passionate hotelier than a guest reminding a special treat and service and I am sure my colleagues will be thankful for your motivating words of compliments!

Hoping to welcoming you back again soon at the Westin Grand Frankfurt I remain

Gelnhausen, Germany
Reviewed 27 December 2010

We stayed here on our wedding night, and were given a free upgrade. The room was very nice, the bed was very comfortable. The toiletries were very nice. The hotel's location was very close to shopping and an U-Bahn station - very convenient. All of the staff were extremely kind and helpful. Parking is 23€/night in the Parkhaus below.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Vanessa_Witsch, Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 6 January 2011
Dear maria00715,

Let me thank you for your very valuable feedback and I am glad you keep us in good memory as passionate hosts and that you especially enjoyed your wedding night with us!

On your next visit to Frankfurt – how about first anniversary – we make sure you will discover some more nice areas and locations as Frankfurt has a lot more to offer!

Please feel free to contact me directly and meantime I wish you a great and adventurous start into the new year – may all your wishes come true for the two of you!

All the best

Manchester, UK
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Stayed for two nights whilst visiting the Frankfurt Christmas markets. The standard room was smaller than expected, but maybe because we were on a Priceline deal, we got one of the lesser rooms.(?)
Not keen on the in room coffee machine, a standard kettle would be much more useful.
The spa was nice, but a steam room would be great to have rather than two different types of sauna.
All the staff were helpful & friendly. When our flight was cancelled they helped us with free internet & the use of the spa whilst we awaited a later flight out of Frankfurt.
The hotel is perfectly located for shopping & only a short walk to the river.
Would definetly stay here again, although I don't think it is worth the full rack rate.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Vanessa_Witsch, Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 22 December 2010
Dear Narrabeam,

I would like to thank you for your honest and constructive feedback and of course for having taken the time to share your opinion with us and Tripadvisor! We appreciate that a lot, as it is the perfect chance to relay listen to our guests needs and to constantly improve our services!

Please be assured that the way you make a booking with us – directly, via Travel agent or Internet – has no influence on the type of room you get. You will always get the category that you or any other party booked for you. As far as I can see you have been in one of our Classic rooms and if you wish to have something more spacious you may contact me directly next time you stay with us so I can make sure you book the category that suites you best!

Especially our business guest love our Nespresso machines with complimentary coffee and we have kettles on request, but the more we know about our guests preferences the better we can arrange their stay. Meaning that on an upcoming stay in Frankfurt I will have a kettle prepared for you!

Dear Narrabeam, I really hope that you will find a way back to us one day and I wish you and your family a merry christmas and a fantastic start into the new year!

Be well

Denver
Reviewed 19 December 2010

I may have gotten an upgraded room since I have platinum status. Very thankful that I got executive club access as breakfast and late afternoon snacks and drinks were free. I did have one morning when I had requested a wake up call that never came. I called to the front desk and they said they didn't have me on the list for wake up and it wouldn't happen again. Not totally satisfied with that answer. Most upscale properties where you are executive status will ask what they can do to make it right. Thanksfully I had also set my blackberry wake up. Chinese restaurant in the hotel was not very good. Because the hotel is older, the walls are thin. One thing they could fix or make better is the door to the room. When it shuts it is quite loud. Not a hotel if you want to sleep past 7.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Vanessa_Witsch, Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 20 December 2010
Dear Jeanette49,

I would like to thank you for your honest and detailed overview and for having taken the time to share it with us and Tripadvisor. Let me furthermore apology for the inconveniences caused to you due to the missing wake up call – something that belongs to our basic standards and should definitely not have you brought in troubles!

Next time you will stay with us please contact me directly so I may think of a nice gesture from our side to compensate this experience!

Dear Jeanette49, I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and a happy new year and hope to welcoming you back soon in the hotel and at the Westin Executive Club.

Be well,

Reviewed 15 December 2010

Awesome location, walking distance from the pedestrian zone and restaurants.
The hotel is very nice as well as their staff. We checked in early in the morning and they went out of their ways to get us a room with in an hour enough though check is until 3pm. In the meantime we went to the Executive Club, we were greeted by Vanessa the club manager, she was very nice and made us feel welcome from the minute we step in. She offered us breakfast, coffee. internet code, etc.
The club is one of the best we have been to. it's open all day until 10pm. They always have refreshments and delicious pastries during the day, at night soups and salads with some finger food. We interacted with Vanessa and Timo, made our stay extra special. they were very helpful and super friendly. When we check out, he knew I loved some German cookies, he had some for me to take with.
The rooms were good, very clean and nicely decorated. If you are not a smoker do NOT stay on the 3rd floor since the second is a smoke floor, in our room the smoke was coming in from the vents and it was very uncomfortable, we ended switching rooms in the middle of the night,it left like some one was smoking right next to us. It was a problem but they fix it as soon as the morning arrived. Besides that, our stay couldn't have been better. If we are in the Frankfurt area for sure we will stay there again.
Thanks Vanessa and Timo for the smiles and extra friendly service!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear mmuyshondt,

How else should I respond to your comment, than with a big Thank You for your amazingly kind words!

Your feedback is the greatest Christmas present for both Timo and me and we are grateful to read, that you enjoyed being our guests and will keep us in good memory.

Dear mmuyshondt, I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon and meantime I wish you, your husband and your entire family a wonderful Christmas time and a happy new year! May all your wishes come true……..

Santa Fe
Reviewed 7 December 2010

No complaints about this hotel. Location is great next to the main shopping street. I was completely surprised to find no WiFi in the rooms. For a 19 Euro charge (for 24 hours) I had to log in via cable. Since we are two professional people traveling together, one always had to 'rest'. Feels like being back in the internet middle ages.
Connection was also rather slow. Won't come back.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Vanessa_Witsch, Manager at The Westin Grand Frankfurt, responded to this review, 12 December 2010
Dear Osho2006,

First of all let me thank you for having taken the time to share your comments about your stay with us!

Being all passionate hosts you may imagine that there is nothing worse for us, than a guest leaving the hotel wih the decision to not come back. Please accept my sincere apologies!

However I am still convinced that if you gave us another chance we may do better. I totally understand your point and I may suggest you to next time book with me directly so I can find you the category / arrangement with High Speed Internet included on the rooms. Another alternative is to book one our Executive Club rooms and then enjoy unlimited free W-lan access in the complete Club area.

Dear Osho2006, I wish you and your family a merry Christmas and a happy new year and hope to hear from you!

vanessa.witsch@westin.com