“Location, location”

Ranked #33 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Just like real estate you pay for the location. We stayed at this hotel upon our arrival and departure from Frankfurt. The hotel is enormous and it takes awhile to figure out where you are going, The rooms we had were clean, modern and the beds were extremely comfortable. I agree from previous reviews that the people working at front desk are rude and not helpful at all. We enjoyed our 32 Euros breakfast even though it was ridiculously priced.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
SaschaKonter, Geschäftsführer at Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Dear ilga,

Thank you for staying at our hotel. Since you mention unfriendliness of our reception staff, I will talk to the front desk staff today and see if there are any issues. You know that we Germans are generally a rather reserved bunch of people and I think that that sometimes looks like snobbishness. I hope you will book our hotel again. We would be delighted to get a chance to welcome you again.

Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center

Write a ReviewReviews (4,190)

Reviewed 19 October 2011

OK. I figured I'd stay at the airport hotel b/c I arrived late and was leaving early 2 days later.
So we start with an airport hotel, right? Well, that is only if you are in Terminal 1, because if you are in Terminal 2, you have to have a map and GPS to find the hotel. Don't bother to call, because after waiting for someone to answer, they will be flip and rude. (And that is before any language barrier issues.)
Even the signage in Terminal 1, if you land there or manage to get there, is terrible.
I landed in Terminal 2 and it took me 30+ minutes to get myself to the hotel, I could have gotten into town more quickly.
Once I got there, I had to wait in line at 10:30pm, because there was only 1 person there, and she couldn't have cared less.
As an SPG Platinum I'm supposed to get certain amenities. The "upgrade" was to a "club" room, but she didn't bother to tell me where the club was, when it was open or what it offered (turns out it is open until 11:30pm, and I could have used a drink at that point, but who knew?).
Instead of asking me whether I needed a late checkout (another amenity b/c I'm platinum), she asked me, "what time are you checking out." So, I told here, when I'm ready. I couldn't believe it.
(PS, this hotel has no porters and you can't bring the luggage carriers from the airport in, so be ready to travel.)
Please don't even get me started on a hotel that is part of a US-based chain that can't translate a room service menu! "Variations of Smoked and Graveled Lox" - verbatim. The "graveled" is the same word as in German. I'm guessing it was lox and gravlax, but I'll never know.
The room service pizzas are pre-made and come frozen, so all they do is heat them up. They taste like that, too.
The staff in the "club" was just as non-interested as the front-desk staff. When I asked the best way to get back to Terminal 2, I was told "taxi." This is for an airport hotel? Seriously?
When I went to check out, I was stuck in the SPG line, which got longer and longer as there was only 1 attendant for SPG and 5 for everyone else. It didn't occur to the other attendants that their biggest customers were left to sit there and wait and wait and wait.
From start to finish (2 nights), this hotel was an incredible disappointment.
I could have gotten into town, stayed at a nicer venue and had less hassle getting in and out of the airport.
The AC in my room didn't work, nor did the window open. And, one of the handles on one of the windows was broken, so I had to waste time waiting for someone to come and fix this "upgraded" room.
Also, you should know the only English-language TV stations are news & ESPN. There is nothing else to watch unless you speak (or want to watch bad dubbing in) Germany, French, Italian, Arabic or Russian.
Note: This hotel is really ONLY convenient if you are flying Lufthansa out of Terminal 1. The signage at Frankfurt airport to the hotels is positively awful. There is a bus that links the terminals as well as a monorail/sky train, but when you get off either there is still a lot of walking.

5  Thank ilovemanhattanNyc

Dear ilovemanhattanNyc,

Thank you for your feedback. Your late arrival at Terminal 2 seems to have spoiled your entire stay. I am sorry to see that you had difficulties finding our hotel. There is a sky train that plies between both terminals every 5 minutes. The walking distances are not really that far – just a couple of minutes actually. There are also more than 100 signposts in the terminals that show the way to our hotel. And there is a free shuttle bus that stops directly in front of our hotel.

I regret that you felt our staff was rude to you. That was surely not intended. I hope you had a safe journey back home. Thanks again for giving us your opinion, which is highly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 18 October 2011

This hotel worked well for an overnight to catch early AM flight home. Expensive 260 Euros, but that's the price you pay for convenience. Taverna restaurant excellent for dinner and reasonable prices all but the water...10Euros for bottle if water, stick to the beer and read the menu closely for extra costs

• Stayed: October 2011
SaschaKonter, Geschäftsführer at Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear Terri1960,

I would like to thank you very much for staying at our hotel. I appreciate that you took the time to write a few sentences about your stay. Thanks for your commendation of our restaurant Taverne! I hope you will be back soon and stay with us again. We would be happy if you would book the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel again for your next trip via Frankfurt.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 October 2011

On Oct 13, 2010, I wrote a review on the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel titled “The perfect place to begin and end your trip to Germany”. It was a very positive review, and because had such a pleasent experience, we again stayed there at the beginning and at the end of our Germany trip.

Once again the hotel exceeded our expectations. My previous review, mentioned how clean and quiet the rooms were and that you cannot beat the location. Everything that I previously stated still hold true. The improvement is the room. After check-in, we went straight to the room and noticed that the room had been updated from a year ago. I do not if all the rooms have been updated; however, it is apparent that the hotel continues improve itself.

We were on vacation in Germany and to insure a relaxing trip back home, we returned the rental car the night before, spent our last night at the Frankfurt Sheraton, and walked to the gate to catch a morning flight back to Dallas.

On our next visit, we will begin and end our trip at the Frankfurt Sheraton Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms are so quiet that you do not hear the noise for the airplane noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear TexasPandG,

Many, many thanks for your awesome commendation! We are very happy that you always begin and end your Germany trip at our hotel. I am glad that you liked the renovation of our guest rooms. We have done up all the premium rooms so far, the Club lounge, the Taverne restaurant and our huge conference area. We constantly modernize our hotel to keep up with guest expectations and make sure that our guests have a relaxing stay. Your appreciation and loyalty is the reward for our hard work. Thank you very much! Maybe at your next stay you have time for a chat and a cup of coffee? I would be happy to meet you personally.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

Imstay here often and it is a great place to stay prior to a flight out the next morning. Great rooms and fine service, but pricey. Make sure you understand the rate. It usually does not include breakfast which is 32 euros! While a great buffet, 32 euros is ridiculus! Walk into the airport for many more options (Starbuck for example)'. They also get you for Internet connection and any other extras? For 200+ euros a night, it should be free. They have great beds, the hotel is convenient, but they rape you.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
SaschaKonter, Geschäftsführer at Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Dear Financedude,

Thank you for your comments. Your user name reveals already that you are concerned about money matters. I am sorry that you considered our hotel as a rip-off. Breakfast is generally not included in the room rate. Guests can choose between different breakfast options and prices at our hotel. Maybe you want to check that out at your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you soon again.

With best regards,

Reviewed 16 October 2011

This review is about my third stay at this hotel. I doubt I will be staying here again.

It's pretty long, but the summary is that this hotel is way overpriced, the staff distant, and the only thing it has going for it is location. Until the Hilton opens in 2012, stay in the city and just spend the money you save on a nice Mercedes taxi ride to the airport.

The first thing that hits you about this hotel is that it is huge. It is a good minute walk from the airport itself to the front desk, and then it will take you several minutes to get from there to the elevators for the rooms. This is important, because on two of my stays I had to go back to registration (once because my key did not work and once to ask about getting the Internet to work). As one reviewer wrote, if they were trying for "grand" they missed and delivered "empty".

I have always found the staff less than friendly. I spend about 80 nights a year in hotels, an after a long multi-week trip in Europe, I want to stay at the airport for the convenience and I want it to feel like home. I get this at, say, the Sofitel at London Gatwick. I do not get this here.

Next, everything is expensive. When paying US$400+ per night for a room, I expect more than what I got. This hotel is starting to show its age - there were chips in the paint of my door to room 9051. When I went down to the restaurant, I felt pressured to buy the 39€ buffet when all I wanted was the 19€ veggie curry. Instead of feeling like I was dining in a nice restaurant, it felt more like being on Easyjet and being pressured by buy duty free. Even when I made it clear that all I wanted was a light meal and to go back to my room and work, no less than three different people came up to me to ask about coffee, dessert and other things instead of bringing the check.

When I did manage to get back to my room and to attempt to do some work, I could not get the wired Internet access to work. When paying 19€ for access that in many places is now free, I expect it to work. I was able to switch to wireless access, but about an hour into it the access point I was using died. A call to guest services resulted in a woman telling me that "our Internet is fine" even though I could use it from my room. When I tried to explain to her what I believed the problem to be (did I mention I run a business that, in part, helps hospitality services companies manage their Internet access?) I was told there was nothing she could do.

Finally, since I was unable to get any work done, I decided to clean out my case for the trip home. When I went to throw away some paper, a cloud of small gnats flew out of the trashcan. Apparently the guest before me had eaten a couple of apples and housekeeping had forgotten to empty it.

I've had worse experiences, but not at this price point.

When I went to check out and was asked "how was your stay?" I replied that I was never staying here again. This caught the attention of a woman named Nicole Ewig who was profusely apologetic and tried to make things right. I was not charged for the Internet and she credited my account with enough points to get a free stay - in part offsetting the cost of the room. She is the only reason I didn't give this hotel a single star and is the only reason I might even consider staying here again.

In short, find other options. In 2012 a Hilton is supposed to open at the airport and perhaps that will cause the Sheraton to finally look at how this hotel is run.

Dear guest Sortova,

I am really sorry that you were so utterly disappointed with your stay. Our hotel is huge, yes. But we do not attempt to come across as a “Grand Hotel” in the literal sense of the word. Ours is not really a plushy palace but a modern hotel catering to business people and air travelers mainly. I do not know our staff as being distant or over-ambitious but will of course monitor the situation and implement changes as necessary. If you would consider staying at our hotel again we would be very happy.

Reviewed 15 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel on two occasions on this particular trip. The hotel is cavernous in size and anything but warm and personal, but it serves a great purpose in eliminating some of the stress of arriving or departing from Frankfurt Airport. There is almost always an annoying line at the reception desk for check-in or check-out. I wish they would do something about that. And the walk to your room seems like miles. The room is perfectly satisfactory with all the amenities you expect, such as a safe, mini-bar, comfortable chair, large TV, WiFi (for a fee), coffeemaker, and a well-equipped bathroom. The bed and linens are comfortable. My room faced the street and it was generally quiet, although you can hear the low "whine" of incoming trains. But it didn't interrupt my sleep. The best feature of this hotel is its breakfast buffet and its dining fare. The breakfast buffet is truly amazing, and the attendants are pretty efficient at clearing tables, bringing coffee, etc. I have also had dinner twice in the dining room and found it to be very, very good. The hotel is very convenient both to the airline terminals as well as the train station. I used the train station on both of my stays at the hotel. The price is very high at this hotel, and can very according to demand, apparently. I paid $100 more for a room on October 11th than I did for a similar room on September 26th. Hopefully, the opening of a new Hilton Hotel at the airport in December 2011 will provide some price competition.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear travelingbarb2-2,

Thank you for staying at our hotel. Yes, indeed, hotel prices vary according to season. Last week, the Frankfurt Book Fair took place and most hotels in and around Frankfurt were booked out. In times like these, hotel rates increase naturally. The same applies to airline tickets, for example. Thank you for recommending our restaurant, especially the breakfast buffet. The restaurant team will be very happy about your words of praise. We look forward to welcoming you soon again!