“Awful - Stay at the Airport Hilton Instead”

Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #33 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The Sheraton Frankfurt Airport is one of the worst airport hotels we’ve stayed in. It’s hard to imagine so much going wrong in a mere 13 hours. The problems began with check-in. The lines were long, the front desk was understaffed and they did not honor my SPG Gold status for an upgrade (despite claiming they did). It was clear when we got to our quarters that we had a real “dog” of a room – our tiny accommodations were certainly not the superior room pictured on the hotel web site, plus ours was facing the interior just a few feet above the air conditioning duct work.

We figured that for a quick overnight it would be good enough and was not worth making an issue. But I had to draw the line at the broken bedside lamp, and by broken I don’t mean the light bulb was broken (that was the case with one of the lamps) – by broken I mean the other lamp was broken at the base so that when we moved it away from the wall where it was propped up, it just collapsed. We sure were not going to try turning it on and risking an electrical fire. My attempts to call guest services were to no avail since the line just rang busy. I was forced to go downstairs to talk to the front desk but instead of helping me, the woman who had checked us in waved another person over and ignored me. At that point, I insisted on talking to the front office manager, who appeared to take serous note of the problems. He offered us access to the Executive Club after dinner while Engineering replaced the one lamp and light bulb of the other lamp. Unfortunately, the Club is locked, our room key did not open the glass door and when we rang the bell the Club attendant just ignored us.

Feeling like we were caught trying to crash, we just retreated to our room. The lamps had been fixed and then we discovered that the toilet did not flush. We resolved to just get through the next several hours until flight time but then we did not anticipate that we would also be provided with old pillows that were so threadbare and flat that it was like sleeping without a pillow. So, we did not get much sleep on top of everything else.

At check-out, I recounted our problems and the startled (but concerned) gentleman called over the Guest Services Manager to hear the details of our problems. He took copious notes and shook his head at the lengthening list of problems over so short a period of time. Yet, surprisingly, instead of saying “Let us pick up your dinner from last night” or “Let us make an adjustment to your room rate considering the problems”, he offered nothing. So we paid for our overpriced room and left. I guess the Manager thought the better of it after the fact because when I got home there was an email apologizing and offering some bonus points in my SPG account. While I appreciate that even a belated effort was made to apologize, it was too little, too late and the wrong gesture.

We will never stay here again, especially not with the much newer Hilton also connected to the train station/Terminal 1. And as an SPG elite member, that’s saying a lot.

Room Tip: I don't know if there are any good rooms here. However, if you go out the front door of the hote...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fantasticv0yage
MrTinoL, Manager at Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear fantasticv0yage,

There is only one thing to say: Sorry!
I sincerely regret that we turned your stay into such a negative experience. Yours is an unheard-of-case of inattention at our hotel and I can only emphasize that your experiences do not represent our usually very high standards. I understand that another stay at our hotel does not rank foremost in your traveling plans for the moment. Yet, I hope that you will one day stop over here again. Please let me know beforehand so that I can personally take care of making arrangements for you so that you will have a fully enjoyable stay.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,145)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

The Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel is located between Terminal 1 and the train station of Frankfurt International Airport. The walk to Terminal 1 takes only 2 minutes.
I had a Club Room that looked like refurbished not long ago. The room was clean and well equipped with Flat-TV, coffee- /tea-maker, ironing board, minibar, working desk, air condition, hairdryer, bath tub and more. The room is very well insulated against noise from the airport.
Since take-offs and landings are forbidden in night time at FRA airport, jet noise is not a disturbing factor anyway.
The Club Lounge on 9th floor offered food and drinks throughout the day. Nice. The hotel has a well equipped gym as well as a spa with steam bath, finnish sauna and relaxation area.
There are also some dining options like a buffet restaurant and a cuban bar for a drink in the evening with both smoking and non-smoking area.
Conclusion: For an overnight stay before or after a flight the Sheraton can be recommended, a club room is worth the higher rate.

Room Tip: A club room or tower room is worth the additional price.

Guten Tag zf34bu8q,

I appreciate that you took the time to summarize your recent stay. Thank you for the good score! Our Club floor services offer everything that distinguished travelers need. I am happy that you felt at home and had a nice time. Please come back soon – we would be delighted to see you soon again.

Thanks and best regards,

Reviewed 8 December 2013

A really good hotel, having all the facilities right into the hotel or in the near neighborhood (into the airport, a small city by itself). Great breakfast experience. Good fitness facility, free. The rooms are big enough (you'll appreciate this if you, previously, visited the hotels in London...). No internet into the room, 9 more EUR per day if you want it. The internet in the lobby is free for the hotel guests, but stops to be free immediately after check-out! Cleaning staff is too intrusive (at least mine was so), but the rooms are kept really clean. Pay attention at the minibar, they will always charge you. Ask them to check again.
It is quite a big hotel, you might need time to get comfortable into the maze.
Great hotel for business travel.

Dear D P,

It seems that you are a regular guest at our hotel. Thank you very much for your loyalty and of course also for the positive review that you posted. Our breakfast buffet is the largest in town and offers everything you need for a good start into the day. And Sheraton Fitness is our pride and joy because it really is a wonderful place to work out or relax. Internet is free for all guests in the lobby area where our exclusive Link@Sheraton work lounge is situated. There are various Internet packages at different prices available for use in the other areas of the hotel. I am sorry that the housekeeping staff disrupted you. We will shape up and improve that area of service. The minibars at our hotel have an electronic sensor that adds removed items automatically to the room bill.

We look forward to welcoming you soon again!
Kind regards,

This is another of those efficient Airport Sheratons
But the room is so basic that it has nothing - empty mini bar, no coffee etc
And it can be a 1km walk to your room
If you land late in the night, it is not what you want but that comes with large hotels I guess - what can be fixed easily is to make the room and what it is stocked with more useful

Great at check in and check out - what we come to expect from Airport Sheratons

Dear RVivekanand,

We were very happy to welcome you. Since our hotel is huge (one of the largest in Europe), it is not always possible to get a room close to the elevators. I hope you will excuse that. Your description leads me to the conclusion that you had a room with a fridge instead of a minibar. Our guest rooms feature different equipment, tailored to our guests’ requirements. Just let us know what your personal preferences are when you make your next booking and we will gladly provide you with a room that has all the items you need for a relaxing stay.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Location is about the only thing this Sheraton has to offer. It is right outside of Terminal 1 at the Frankfurt airport. If you land in Terminal 2 (or leave from Terminal 2) take the shuttle bus to Terminal 1 and actually the bus stops right in front of the hotel. The public rooms are big but that's about it. There is no warmth or charm to welcome you. Same with the guest rooms. The lamps on our nightstands did not work, one needed a bulb the other had a short in it. You practically needed a hammer to make the toilet flush, needless to say there is little supervision of the rooms. There is a restaurant which has acceptable food but is far too expensive for what you get. There is a Hilton in the same location and you can be sure we will be there next time we need to stay at the Frankfurt Airport.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lasa88

Good day Lasa88,

Many thanks for staying at our hotel and posting your review on TripAdvisor. You were not entirely convinced of our service standards and we find that truly regrettable. I am sorry for the defective lamp in your room. That should have been repaired prior to your arrival. Please note that there are two restaurants at our hotel that offer a wide variety of meals at also very reasonable prices. And the food quality at both eateries is outstanding. We would be happy to welcome you again to our hotel and take care of creating a memorable stay for you next time.

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed on the club floor. The club is nice. The food and drink were good. The room and property itself are mediocre. The room is very, very antiseptic. The bathroom is outdated. The staff was not very knowledgeable about the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hello Ualsu,

Thank you for your review! I am glad that you enjoyed our Club floor and had a nice time in the Club lounge. The bathrooms in the Club rooms have actually been renovated two years ago. I guess it was just the design that did not find your approval. Will you soon stay with us again? We sincerely hope so.

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Apart from looking forward to a good night's sleep, I have never been excited about my stopovers at the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel.In my previous stays there I have always found this gigantic hotel and it's guest rooms to be cold, impersonal lacking in warmth and colour. This last overnight stay on 3 December 2013 with my husband not only re-enforced my previous convictions but unfortunately with an addition of displeasure for what we got in relation to what we had paid for .We stayed in room 7002 which was very basic. Let me start with the decor which was monotone beige and very plain . The curtains, also in about the same colour as the walls looked as though they were ready for a change. The end of the right curtain near the wall was hanging off some hooks. In the bathroom the amenities provided looked cheap suitable for a 3 star hotel. As for soap, only 1 tiny piece was provided. Drainage for the wash basin was not good. This is apparent when the basin is filled full with water .I can only conclude that it must have been ages since the drainage pipe has been cleaned.The toilet bowl looked disgusting with unsightly brown stains in the far end of the bowl. Last but most inexcuseable was there was no facial tissue left in the box for use the next morning when it was urgently needed. I had to use toilet paper as a subsitute......how's that for the reputation of a 5 star hotel? A complaint was lodged with your house-keeping department before we checked out in the morning, for which the response was an offer of a free drink. Really!!!!
To the management of Sheraton I have this to say. That you have a captive market offering just good beds does not mean your Hotel can be complacent, arrogant and careless to the other needs of your guests . 5 star hotels have a high reputation to maintain.I can name you several hotels that are truly 5 star and I'd like to say that Sheraton Airport Hotel does not even come close to their standards.

Room Tip: Check to see if you have enough facial tissue in the box for use the next day for early departure.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lotus_kun
MrTinoL, Geschäftsführer at Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear lotus_kun,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel again. I am really sorry that you had to put up with some inconveniences during your stay. Please accept my apologies for the unpleasant moments we unfortunately created for you. I have already instructed our housekeeping staff to pay more attention to cleaning the bathrooms. That is of course one of the most important requirements for a pleasant stay. I am sure my staff meant well when they offered you a free drink by way of an apology. Regrettably, you had the impression that our hotel does not offer the high standard of service to be expected from a first-class hotel. I hope that you will give us soon another chance to show you that our hotel is indeed a place worthwhile staying at.

Yours faithfully,