“Great Location-Smoky Corridors-$$$$$$$$$$$$”

Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #34 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 23 June 2009

For our family returning to the US the location could not be better. Fabulous train access into the airport and a pedestrian bridge directly from the hotel to the American Airlines checkin desks across the depressed lanes in the airport. It doesn't get better than that, anywhere. The immediate impresssions that endure are: friendly checkin, unbelievably smoky corridors on the non-smoking floors (and they STAY that way) , food prices that bring tears to your eyes, but it's still location, location, location.

Our room was a "family" room for four persons, which is a very small percentage of the total rooms in the hotel. It was clean, large and with a bathroom that does elicit a "wow"--all white, great shower, double sinks, bathtub, Grohe fixtures, good towels, pretty much everything one would want.

We observed two negatives other than the food prices in the restaurants (and pretty limited evening choices OF restaurants in the hotel, at that). The first is that the non-smoking floors appear to have zero ventilation air movement and as a result the corridors are filled with cigarette smoke all the time. Yes, non-smoking floors, but smoky corridors. The stale smoke smell assaults you instantly upon leaving the elevator and it's not subtle at all. It's about as bad as one ever smells in a hotel. It persisted during the entire stay.

The second negative was the supercilious and bordering on rude service from the male half of a male/female service team in the Business Center. There is a 2 euro service charge to make a long distance call from your room and while in the lobby area I asked for the German ATT Direct access code to use in a payphone. I was extremely polite in my request, appropriately dressed, and only inquired about internet usage charges and that one phone access number. The two employees were standing behind a desk, were doing nothing but waiting as far as I could tell and I was treated as a street urchin would have been, with more "attitude" than it's possible to convey here. AND I was given the wrong number. It's really hard in a two-dimensional space like this to bring to life the supercilious attitude of one of the two people in a totally empty business center. I felt like I should have apologized for living and backed out of the Business Center bowing and scraping and begging their pardon for bothering them. "Attitude" doesn't really begin to cover it.

The internet charges are truly breath-taking, just as they are in a lot of foreign hotels. There is a 30 minute free usage benefit applicable to three or four terminals near the reception area in the lobby. This is a very valuable amenity if all you want to do is check email on one of the commerical services (Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) or use the internet, but they are not set up to use for direct LAN access to connect back to one's business email server. Still, it's more than most hotels of this type offer and much-appreciated.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Insideinfo77

Reviewed 16 June 2009

We ended our three week stay in Germany here because of the location; we didn't need to be so close to the airport (our fault for not doing enough research - most nearby hotel provide good shuttle service); parking costs were awful (and we couldn't make arrangements to return our lease car until the next day) so we had to "grin and bear it". Well, the hotel was dead.....bars open but only 2/3 people in them. Two restaurants closed. We were given a room that faced the afternoon sun....was very warm so we set turn down the airconditioner and left to seek a decent responsible meal in the terminal. Returned and the room was so HOT....we called, complained and immediately packed up. There was NO way we could have stayed in the room. While we waited for help to move, we actually had to stand in the hallway to get a decent breath of air. Management was nice about moving us, but seemed reculant and gave us the opinion that "we" weren't sincere in our complaints. The manager went into several empty rooms before moving us to one where the airconditioning worked! And it barely did! Maybe the European airconditioning has different standards than USA, but we were never truly comfortable all night. Only upon my husbands insistance was the parkig fee taken care of.
This is a 4/5 star hotel and it was NOT worth the several hundred dollars we paid. We realize some of our problems were of ur own making, but it was still NOT worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank twototravel
Reviewed 16 June 2009

What a sad experience. the worst exemple of an airport hotel. Rooms without any personality, sad colors, very poor amenities, ugly decor.
Views are horrible.
Nothing pleasant except the staff at Reception who is helpful.

2  Thank tiboparis
Reviewed 11 June 2009

great hotel, attached to the terminal, so easy access. great rooms, very comfortable.

limited restaurant facilities and they are very expensive.

there are restaurats in the terminal, so you could always eat there.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank TRAXUK
Reviewed 30 May 2009

The Sheraton at Frankfurt Airport is a good hotel. It is also incredibly convenient to the train station, Terminal 1 and (if you take the Sky Train from Terminal 1) Terminal 2. It is the THE on property hotel at Frankfurt Airport.

My wife and I were coming in late from Amsterdam by train and leaving the next morning by air for the Persian Gulf. This hotel was our choice for the three most obvious reasons: Location, Location, Location.

That said, the hotel was large and the room comfortable but impersonal. The Internet was expensive; the breakfast was €29 per person; the room itself was over $400 prepaid. Particularly when I'm not on an expense account, I don't like spending this kind of money just for the convenience that this hotel offered.

In short, if I could have arranged our schedules so as to avoid an overnight in Frankfurt, I would have gone straight from the train station to the air terminal and skipped this hotel altogether. Since I couldn't, it worked out fine.

2  Thank RailwayHobo
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Over the last 5 years I have stayed at this hotel several times each year. The proximity to the airport makes it ideal to rest up from my flights originating in San Francisco.

Since I am a Platinum member with Starwood I enjoy the luxury of checking in at the 9th floor level club lounge, instead of having to wait downstairs at the reception desks to get into my room. After the flight I am eager to get into my room without having to wait in line. The staff at the desk is always courteous and seem to be actually happy to greet me again, which makes me feel right at home and not just another traveller.

The club lounge is on the 9th floor which allows for some lovely views, which, however, will soon most disappear since a new hotel is being built close by. But this will certainly not keep me from staying at this particular Sheraton, the rooms are comfy and efficient and the staff in the lounge is extremely friendly and very helpful. I certainly appreciate the cooks preparing an omelette for me in the mornings, just the way I like it and the waitperson brings it to me table with a wonderful smile and she always prepares my capuccino for me. I have to admit I simply love that service!! Something I do not get at home... There are always lovely flower arrangements in the lounge, something I simply adore.

Last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer and have had difficulty after the surgery and subsequent treagtment travellng and I must say that the staff has been most helpful in assisting me with my luggage and getting me to the international train station and upon my departure to the Frankfurt airport.

Any special requests I have, and at this point I have to admit, there have been a fair amount, have always been met with a friendly response.

The management of this hotel needs to be congratulated for selecting great team.

2  Thank hungariancountess
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed at this hotel at both the beginning and end of our 2-week European trip.
We flew into Frankfurt from San Francisco and after an 11 hour flight it is great to be able to take a short walk to your hotel. The next morning we were able to start our rail journey
to Berlin from the airport train station, which is just as close to the hotel as the airport.

Before the return flight to San Francisco, we arrived by train late at night from France and it was great to be able to get a good night's rest before embarking on a 12 hour flight to San Francisco the next day.

You pay for this convenience and the rate was quite a bit higher on the second night.
For one night each way, this hotel was definitely worth it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfurt
Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel
#40 of 271 in Frankfurt
NH Frankfurt Airport
NH Frankfurt Airport
#1 of 8 in Kelsterbach

Been to Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!