We arrived dishevelled and disoriented at Frankfurt International at 6am, after 25 hours' travel. We arranged for an airport pick-up from the hotel and were collected at the arrival gates by a chauffeur, then driven 15 minutes to the hotel where we were greeted warmly by all the staff we encountered.
We stayed in the Junior Suite which was beautifully appointed and worth every cent. The magic lay in the details—a television mounted above the electronically controlled bath, complete with waterproof controller. Spotless floors and leather trimming throughout. A walk-in robe with motion-sensing lighting. Fresh fruit with chocolate fondue in the evenings. A handbook to Frankfurt written specifically for the Frankfurter Hof guest.
In the rest of the hotel, facilities were first rate. There was a library, cigar lounge, enormous spa, and lots of nooks and lounges to escape to. The hotel was exceptionally busy while we were there yet it never felt crowded or impersonal. The author's bar is a must-do, and the pulled pork sandwich at Oscar's is divine.
We visited with our toddler, and staff made all of us feel at home—our toddler was greeted personally by staff and given lots of attention while dining and moving about the facilities, something we appreciated as this isn't always the case in establishments of this calibre, where in our experience very young children are sometimes frowned upon.
Wifi and working space was second to none—the hotel really understands the need to check up on work without losing a sense of being at leisure. The writing desk in the room was well-lit by the window, with comfortable chair and phone within reach, and all lounges on the ground floor offered a myriad of other options for a quiet place to work if tapping away at the laptop and making calls proved too intrusive for the rest of the family.
The Spa was disappointing—staff were too laidback and seemed to assume we would know where to go/what to do, which made us feel awkward. Having a male masseuse was a little disconcerting for the wife without any forewarning, and the lady doing the facial was friendly but a little abrupt when the session ended—we didn't realise she was done until she popped her head back in the room and whispered crossly that the spa would close in 10 minutes (we had a late appointment). It's a great service for guests not wishing to leave the hotel, but personally we'll be looking offsite next time for a more professional experience.
Room service was the best we'd ever had. Food was served hot on tables with a full dinner service, and it was incredibly good, but we wished the attendants kept their voices down in our private space and didn't knock so loud—especially with our toddler asleep.
The only real complaint we have is that housekeeping and laundry staff don't seem well-trained in dealing with guests over the phone—housekeeping were surly and unhelpful when we requested an iron and laundry staff were downright rude when we asked why our laundry still wasn't returned to us by Sunday night after it was handed in on Friday morning. Laundry isn't done on Saturdays and Sundays, but handing it on Friday morning should have meant it be returned Friday night. We had to phone back twice before the laundry was finally returned—still dirty—so that we could pack in time for us to move on to our next destination.
Overall, a five star hotel with four and a half star service. We will return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Established in 1876, the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof is located in the heart of the city in middle of the historic, financial district, near the cathedral where the emperor's coronation once took place. Our hotel attracts global travellers who are as unique as our 303 luxurious rooms. Choose from traditional or modern decor; the extravagant and timeless elegance of the interior fulfils even the most sophisticated desires of our guests. In the morning we welcome you to one of the best breakfasts in the city, with exquisite delicacies served in our "Hofgarten" restaurant. The "Autorenbar" invites you to join us for a royal afternoon tea, before it becomes an evening hotspot in the Main-metropolis serving a choice of select spirits. Spoil your senses by choosing to dine at our Michelin starred restaurant Francais or our iconic restaurant OSCAR*S. Experience the largest SPA in Frankfurt where effortless luxury, creativity, and the art of well-being are combined. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Steigenberger AG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof Frankfurt
- Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof Hotel Frankfurt