“Is a SHAME as a service champion hotel”

Ranked #19 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here since November 26th (12 nights by now) and we are EXTREME dissapoint on this hotel. Is a hell of experience in this hotel with their extreme poor services, LONG summary as below:

1. Concierge Services:
No one in the concierge to assist you for at least 15 minutes, even I tried to get some help from the reception, they just call you just wait even they are not doing anything. I didn't know their responsibilities is starring in the air or maybe she just has some gum on her shoe that she can't move around.

2. Internet:
Is extremely inconvenient for business travellers! Internet is charged, every time you want to use the internet, you have to scratch for your "lottery" and the usage is limited to one gadget. If you want to use internet using another gadget, then you have to scratch another "lottery" card again. WHAT A FUN! All this card is limited to 24-hours. In the internet era, with this internet system is really a joke.

Internet is not stable all the time, sometimes you have to try 30 minutes in order to connect to the internet. Even we complaint, they told us: "sorry madam, we can put you in touch with our external service provider". So when there is internet problem, we have to communicate with an external party ourself in a 5-star hotel????

3. Room's toiletries:
Toothbrush, toothpaste, cotton bulbs, cotton pads; NON-of the above is provided. So you have to go to groceries to buy yourself. Maybe the toothbrush & etc has to purchase it from the hotel, as is far more too expensive than printing those "internet lottery card", is it so unaffortable to provide in a 5-star hotel.

4. Room's Cleanliness:
Extremely disappointed! See some pictures attached. They put the pillows on the floor or in the shoe rack. Speechless for a 5 star hotel, it happen 2 times in different day! All this happen after cleaning services. After we complaint, they sent a cleaner to entertain us, where is the manager?

5. Spa's:
Nice but average, again no cotton bulbs & cotton pads is provided. Just a suggestion, maybe the hotel can put a cotton bulbs or pads machine to earn some money??? I will be the first customer to buy in such a 5-star hotel spa.

6. Breakfast:
Nice varieties of food, but very poor services. Avoid breakfast during weekend, no-one lead us to a clean table, we have to find a table ourself like a canteen and clean the table ourself.

Moreover, after we order our eggs, it take 20-30 minutes to cook 2 eggs! When we complaint we did not receive our eggs, they told us: "I've already called my colleagues to send to you but they did not, so I DON'T KNOW". I asked them, "So I shall pick up myself?", THEY SAY YES!!!

What a surprise, it means after they said they will send the food to our table, and waiting for 20-30minutes, we have to again que up like a canteen to collect my 2 fried eggs! Also, I've ordered 1 crepe continuous 2 days on 7th & 8th December, it NEVER come!

7: ANTI-ASIAN??
I'm Malaysian chinese, and obviously I look chinese, my fiancé is a british. Whenever I had my breakfast with him, I have no problems on getting my breakfast tea BUT somehow whenever I have my breakfast alone, they never offer me any drinks! I've been observing many days, westerner or senior asian once they sit-in, they will offer them a drink! So does it mean I have to be a westerner or look old with wrinkles for asian in order to get my breakfast tea or coffee???? Seriously, I have stayed in for 12 days and all this is hardly a misjudgment.

Especially today, I have my breakfast alone again. The restaurant is not busy and there one european couple dine in after me. Why again they got their coffee or tea but never offer me a single drink???? Guess I should age myself faster, and put more wrinkles on my face in order to get my breakfast tea.

8. Location:
Excellent, is very convenient. This is the only credit we would rate it for this hotel.

9. CONCLUSION:
After all these, when you request a complaint form to fill in your comments at the reception, they told you they do not have one, they just give me a BLANK sheet of paper to write a "LOVE letter" to their manager. That's really reach my limit, a 5-star so called service champion in 2013 has no customer feedback form.

Generally, if you are not ASIAN, not a FOOD person, not demanding on CLEANLINESS; you may stay in this hotel.

I'm currently writing this in ROOM 525, if you are the GM of this HOTEL, please take note of all the above or you may ignore it as I'm ASIAN.

Thank you very much for your time for reading this!

Room Tip: My tip is choose other hotel to avoid all the hassle!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank blmy
Armin S, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear brendalmy,
Thank you for your detailed feedback. We are very sorry to read that your stay was not to your full satisfaction. We certainly enjoyed looking after you and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Kind regards,
Armin Schröcker

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We really enjoyed my meal at Oscars. The food was top class and the waiters we're very friendly and helped create a relaxed and enjoyable ambiance. We started our meal with the caesar salad which was truly delicious. We followed that with both the Tagliatelle and the Schnitzel which we thoroughly enjoyed. The dessert of creme brulee was very tasty and had a lovely creamy texture. They had a wide variety of drinks on their menu which complemented each course perfectly. The staff gave excellent recommendations for each dish we had chosen for our meal. After our meal we had a traditional Irish coffee made by a waiter, who himself was from Ireland. It was made in front of us at our own table and a brief, interesting history of the coffee was given. This was a great personal touch and added greatly to our evening. All in all, it was a terrific night and the food was excellent. Our waiter Mr Altlay gave us brilliant service and was a true gentleman.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Armin S, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Aislinn N,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us such cordial feedback. Please be assured that your compliments will be passed on to our personnel in the restaurant, especially to Mr Altlay. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,

Armin Schröcker. General Manager

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay, staff were extremely helpful and friendly.
My room was beautiful, very comfortable and very clean, the only thing I didn't like was the cover on the bed was too small. Pity because the bed itself was very comfy.
Perfect location to visit the Xmas market.
The spa experience was the highlight of my stay, just fantastic. Would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are an excellent choice
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Moya68,

thank you very much for giving us such excellent feedback. In order to give our guests a relaxing experience at excellent standards and by complying with the historic foundations of our house we have decided to offer one of the best SPA areas in the region which comprises only selected amenities. We are glad to pass on your compliments regarding our staff. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,

Armin Schröcker. General Manager

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Let me begin by saying that I am writing this whilst I am still in your room, 260.

When I first entered, I thought this is a hotel I can refer to my friends. Unfortunately this place is the very first time that I had such bad feeling.

When I first arrived, i cannot believe that there are remains of food from the previous guest. Literally there were opened foodstuff. I called the front desk at 7.10pm to inform them and no one came until 7.30pm. The lady who came thought the food were mine. I have to tell her that I checked in only an hour ago... baffled but offering little reasoning, she said it might be because the previous guest might have put out a 'do not disturb' sign. I found that extremely disturbing.

By writing this, I hope the management will be able to address this point. I will be reporting this to my company and will advise the striking out of this hotel from our preferred list.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank namohk

Dear Namohk
Thank you for your prompt feedback. Again, we want to apologize for our poor services and we sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us during your next visit to Frankfurt.
Kind regards,
Armin Schröcker

Reviewed 1 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank namohk
Moritz_Klein, Geschäftsführer at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2015

Dear avolteritornano,

Though we are sorry to hear that you had problems during your recent stay and do not wish to return, we like to thank you for your feedback. We surely failed this time in providing the service we are known for and for that I apologize. I hope that you may reconsider and ring us up when travelling to Frankfurt next.

With kind regards

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Our one-night stay was exceptional. Every staff member we encountered was courteous and helpful. All spoke English, or at least suffered through my poor German with a smile. The room was very large and spotless. The room was quite warm when we arrived but cooled down nicely while we took the short stroll to the Römerplatz, just a few blocks away. The bar was quite comfortable. We ate dinner at Oscar's, the restaurant adjoining the hotel. It was excellent, with a broad menu. While somewhat expensive, it felt like a great value given the quality of our meal and the great service. Our waiter (Eric?) was outstanding. The breakfast buffet was way more than we required after the great dinner we had the night before. Overall, an excellent Hotel that I would not hesitate to recommend.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Joseph G,

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to know that you fully enjoyed your stay at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof. Gladly I will pass on your compliments to our team. We all hope that you will be returning soon.

Until then I remain with kind regards

Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here following a trip to Morocco and Turkey, on November 10 and 11 We thought we would like to transition back to our home in the US with a stay in Frankfurt for a few days en route. We were very glad we chose this hotel as the staff were helpful, polite, top notch in service. Our room was great, very comfortable. Our bathroom was very nice, but very small. The bed was comfortable and the room's decor was very well done. Two small things that would have put this stay over the top. When we inquired about WIFI we were told it would cost us 20 Euros for 24 hours. In this day and age that is way out of line. The second thing was that when we checked in I specifically requested a room away from the elevator. When we were shown to our room it was directly beside the service elevator. Luckily this was pretty quiet, and I only heard a bit of activity early in the morning. Was this because we were using the
internet guaranteed/non refundable rate that we had pre paid months in advance? It turned out OK since we probably were given the hotel's worst room, which was pretty wonderful in our book! We would go back anytime!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear piriac,

Thank your for your kind review. The entire team is happy to know that you did enjoy your stay at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof. I am happy to let you know that since 2014 WIFI is complimentary for all our guests. We all hope that you will be returnin soon.

Until then I remain with best regards