“New vs old is a big difference”

Ranked #20 of 268 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“New vs old is a big difference”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

My first experience at the Steinberger Frankfurter Hof was in one of the newly renovated rooms. I happily gave it 5 stars. My return was to one of the older, unrenovated rooms. This was disappointing - the room (particularly the bathroom) was small and poky - exactly the opposite of the newer rooms. So take care and be prepared when you book - know what sort of room you are getting. You will be impressed, or underwhelmed, depending on the choice.

4 Thank 007Sydney
Moritz_Klein, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear 007Sidney,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof. You most probably received one of the very few rooms that are scheduled for a makeover in the near future and I am sorry that this has tarnished your experience at our hotel. Yet I still hope that the service we provided has been equally excellent to your previous stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me when you return to Frankfurt as I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards

Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

How does one describe a hotel where the air conditioning does not noticeably change room temperature; where the bar can have just 7 guests sitting in it but it still takes over 10 minutes to be served; where the bedroom was not cleaned before 15.00 on any day during my stay (and where a pillow case was for some bizarre reason wrapped around the bathroom handle and left there); where the hotel is less a case of being venerable and more one of being tired; and where the gym is small, sometimes over-crowded, and way too warm. How about: "simply not good enough" or "living on its reputation"?

2 Thank D j R
Moritz_Klein, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear D j R

Thank you for your opinion and feedback on your stay at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof which is much appreciated as it helps us in identifying areas of improvement. The dedicated team of the hotel strives to exceed all guests’ expectations and I regret to learn that we clearly have failed in your case. Not knowing your travel dates I must assume that it was a recent stay when outside temperatures climbed out of the norm and our cooling systems were not fully activated. I apologize for this. I also like to say sorry for that our service let you down in both the bar and housekeeping which is indeed unacceptable and I will address this with the concerned department.
We are aware of our limitations of the size of the gym and if this was pointed out to our Front Desk you should have been offered an alternative around the corner of the hotel. Besides our gym we have a brand new 1,000 sqm Spa including Hamman and wet areas which I hope you have tried.
Should you return to Frankfurt please do contact my office as I would be pleased to show you that the hotel is still worthy of its reputation.

Kind regards

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stay at this hotel on my business trips and stay was comfortable all the times. Hotel is centrally located in Frankfurt city and well connected to all the business places in Frankfurt. Staff is friendly and service is excellent. but It is on the expensive side.

2 Thank vg_wanderer
Moritz_Klein, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear vg_wanderer,

thank you for writing positive about your experience at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof. We appreciate your kind words on our service and friendliness. That you find the hotel pricey is regretted, perhaps you may have travelled during peak times when the city overall increases rates. We do pride ourselves for a very solid value for money approach but recognize that we are within the top tier of the luxury market.

With kind regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here on a business trip during a conference.

I arrived and found myself upgraded to a fantastic suite, almost presidential.

The hotel is top quality and the service matches, no request was too hard.

If you are looking for luxury in Frankfurt, then stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank russhughes
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I usually stay in this hotel when I am in Frankfurt as it is so close to our offices. Last time I stayed I was given an upgrade on arrival to a junior suite, which was very very nice. Spacious room, plenty of sockets everywhere, large flat screen TV, modern decorated, with a lovely bathroom and walk-in shower. I was very comfortable and wished I could stay somewhat longer.

Room Tip: I had a junior suite on the 4th floor - highly recommended.
1 Thank Cathrin_78_Summer
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is a beautiful hotel. Our room was upgraded and it was very comfortable and large. We ordered room service breakfast every morning (35 Euro + 5 euro delivery) - while it was expensive they did give you plenty of food (eggs, meat, cereal, breads, fresh fruit, fresh juice, hot drinks) - the service was accommodating and friendly as well. The rooms were very clean and smoke free. As usual for Europe the restaurant (oscar's) is somewhat problematic for non-smokers...although the restaurant is smoke free the large area outside is filled with smokers and "it is not possible to close the doors" so many tables inside are surrounded by smoke. The bell staff was friendly - but it did take about 10+ minutes each day to retrieve our car. If we came to Frankfurt we would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Traveling_a_lot4fun
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Superb hotel right in the city center.
I choose this hotel because of their promotion and the good connection to the fairground.
However high price, it is not expensive for what I paid.
Definitively a place to return.
So keep the promotion going ;=)

Room Tip: We had a superior room and it was VERY spacious.
4 Thank GV_tripadvisor