“Superb old-world service and comfort”

Ranked #20 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Superb old-world service and comfort”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel, which dates originally from the 19th century, has been extensively renovated. Rooms are generously sized - mine was a superior, which is actually the basic room. This had a separate small dressing/luggage room and a decently sized full bathroon. Furnishings are good quality, beds very comfortable, bathroom potions very high quality. Wifi, though not particularly speedy, is free and unlimited. Many rooms on the 2nd floor have small balconies - the views are unexciting but it's nice to have a little open space.

Breakfast is superb - try to get a deal which includes this, otherwise it's pricey. Service generally is friendly, professional and efficient. Standards of house-keeping are high. The hotel is right in the centre of the city, perfectly placed for business, museums and the opera. I'd certainly choose this hotel again over the more modern but soulless alternatives. It's not cheap, but this is not a cheap city. All in all it's good value.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms with balconies are nice.
4 Thank Helenjojo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over a weekend in the middle of June. I was in Frankfurt as a tourist. This hotel is conveniently located for the centre of Frankfurt, everything of interest is within walking distance and there is a metro station right outside for longer journeys, such as to the airport. I actually found the staff really welcoming and friendly, especially the doormen. All the checking in and out things went smoothly and I had no problems. The room itself was nice, it looked like it had been recently refurbished and was a good size. I was at the front of the hotel with a nice view of the square and skyscrapers. I was a bit worried about noise but I didn't hear anything and slept well.
I ate in the main restaurant once and the food was tasty and not that expensive, they had a substantial wine list with lots of local wines. It was very hot while I was there and sitting out in the courtyard to eat was lovely. The World Cup had just started and there was a nice atmosphere. One of the best things was the breakfast buffet in the morning, the choice on offer was amazing. This hotel is not the cheapest in town, but if you want quality and good old fashioned service, it is probably the place to stay! I would definitely go back in the future, even just for the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard J
Moritz_Klein, Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Richard J,

Thank you for your kind review and for highlighting the friendliness of our team especially our doormen. This is much appreciated and we all here look forward to your return.

With kind regards

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during my business trip and I was left unhappy.

The reasons:
1. The price was just not worth the service and foods quality.
2. The staff was not so friendly compared to my stays in 3-star hotel in Heidelberg and 4-star hotel in Paris.
3. They booked my credit card for 25% higher than my total cost of staying and then it was kept booked in my credit card until 1 week later. For me that travel far from Indonesia and would like to use as much as my limit to go for shopping, I was really unhappy. I stayed for 2 other hotels afterward (which I mentioned above) and this case didn't occur. I checked to my bank, and found that it turned out they didn't cancel the book instead just left it until it was expired.

3 Thank Arqusas
Moritz_Klein, Geschäftsführer at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Arqusas,

Thank you for posting your opinion about your recent stay at our hotel.
I am sorry that you feel our prices are not justified for the products and services we offer. It would be great if you could contact me at guestrelation@frankfurter-hof.steigenberger.de with a few details on what went wrong so that I can address these issues and ensure they are not being repeated.

That my team did not release the credit card authorization in a timely manner is deeply regretted and I hope that you accept my apologies for that. This should certainly have been released automatically and I will address this.

Thank you once again and I look forward to not hearing back from you but to welcome you back to the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof very soon.

Paris, France
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Very pleasant hotel, luxurious setting. Situated in center of Frankfurt. Stayed there 4 nights early June. Business meeting service and catering are excellent. Rooms are modern and comfortable. Bathroom is outstanding with high tech button controlled bath and shower. Flat screen tv , in my room, was oddly situated - you could not watch tv from the bed nor from the lounge chair...
Coffee maker and tea available in the room. Breakfast buffet was outstanding.
Two negatives: the cleaning service was not up to the standards of the hotel( ex: twice, a used glass was not put away or washed, bed was not prepared every day); I was not able to get an iron and ironing board the first day of my stay.
Reception, concierge, porter and catering staff are very professional.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Lisa D
Dear Lisa D,

Thank you for taking time and writing so positively about your stay at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof. Your feedback is much appreciated and shared with all the team.

That we disappointed you in some of our housekeeping services will be addressed. My sincere apologies for this!

Looking forward to welcome you back to the hotel soon I remain.

Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have stayed there for 1 night in 28 May 2014 , it is hard to judge the hotel from one night but i like and enjoyed my stay there , the rooms are huge and very clean, the breakfast was excellent and delicious . the location of the hotel is great too . i recommend other tourists to accommodates in , i think they will like there stay . Osama

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank nawafleh_osama
London
Reviewed 10 June 2014

If you’re tired of reading the rave reviews, let me offer something different. A hotel with this reputation (and at these prices) deserves to be judged by the highest standards. Based on our two-day stay, it falls short in several respects. A prestige hotel should check the room before your arrival. They did not, and our hair-dryer proved to be ‘kaput’. No hotel, prestige or otherwise, should allow your toilet paper to run out. This one did. Bedrooms are serviced only once a day. In other words, beds were not turned down in the evening, though on one night, a maid appeared at our door with two chocolates! Our room, though otherwise excellent, did not have tea/coffee-making facilities – something which the humblest B & B would provide in the UK – though I realise this is a British eccentricity.

More seriously, it seems to be corporate policy to extract as much extra cash from guests as possible. On arriving in our room on the hottest day of the year so far, two welcoming bottles of water, with glasses, greeted us with the words “Refresh yourself!”. On closer inspection we discovered they carried a price tag of 7.50 Euros! Yes, that’s 15 Euros for 1.5 litres of water! Predictably, mini-bar prices were equally extortionate – a mark-up of 400-500%. Then there’s the Spa. Fancy 20 minutes in the sauna? That will cost you 49 Euros – just to walk through the door! A good hotel should make their guests feel welcome, not ripped off. (What is the German for ‘rip-off’? Maybe they don’t have a word). But quite apart from the adverse feelings it generates, as a business model, this policy stinks. As every business textbook states, if you charge decent prices, you will make a decent profit. If you charge greedy prices, you will make zero profit (your mini-bar will be unused, your spa empty) and you will cause a great deal of ill-will in the process.

Rant over! The good news is that the staff realise that their management’s policy is mean-spirited, and undermine it by topping up your breakfast champagne glass – regularly!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank chrishandley
Moritz_Klein, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear chrishandley,

First of all many thanks for taking your time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof – this is much appreciated.

The housekeeping shortfalls you have pointed out are indeed unacceptable and do not reflect the standard of our hotel. Why we missed on these crucial parts is being investigated and I like to apologies for that sincerely.
With regards to the availability of a coffee maker in the room I am happy to advise that all our rooms and suites of the “Grand Deluxe” category and above are fitted with “Nespresso” machines and in addition are provided with a complimentary bottle of water.
That you feel our minibar prices and others are above the norm is deeply regretted as we are in line with the market and category of hotel.
With regards to the charge at the Spa for using the Sauna and other areas I sincerely hope that you were not asked to pay for entrance as I have no record of such charge. All our hotel guests are given free access to the facility and the mentioned entrance fee only applies to non-resident day visitors.

I would very much like to see you return to the hotel and please do not hesitate to contact me when you return to the great city of Frankfurt. Until then I remain.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The primary reason why I selected this hotel for stay is it excellent breakfast: one of the best selection I had in Europe. Perfect for those who like German sausages etc... Standard rooms are nothing special, clean but nothing particularly interesting... unfortunately there is no free water provided, had to take $7.5/bottle in the room

3 Thank Sasha_v85
Dear Sasha_v85,

Thank you for your fantastic review and pointing out our breakfast. Your compliment is well accepted!

With regards to free water in the room I regret that we have disappointed you. Please note that all our rooms and suites of the “Grand Deluxe” category carry complimentary water.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof soon and remain.

With kind regards