“Underwhelming at best”

Ranked #20 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

For a 5 star hotel this is an underwhelming experience. It falls down on lots of the little points that most hotels in this class now take for granted. There is no selection of pillows on the bed, just two very full and unyielding bricks. These cannot be changed after housekeeping goes home for the night so a bad night sleep can be guaranteed. The towels are not fluffy and are only just white having seemingly endured thousands of washes. A tea and coffee making facility in the room? No chance. Not even a free, small bottle of water by the bedside rather two bottles placed for "my convenience" at a not very convenient Euro 7.50 each. The rooms are large - good - but sparsely decorated and unwelcoming. The service is functional without even the courtesy of a "did you enjoy your stay?" at checkout. I last stayed at this hotel 10 years ago and had forgotten why I had not been back. Now, with memory refreshed, I most definitely will not be

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank seagulls77
Moritz_Klein, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear seagulls77,

Thank you for posting about your experience here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate feedback – be it positive or negative – as it helps us to improve our product and services. It appears that you had book one of the few standard rooms that we offer at the hotel and I regret that your experience at the hotel has not been a positive one. Though you expressed not to return again I would sincerely hope that you would indeed give it another try in our Grand Deluxe rooms. These newly renovated rooms offer not only a Nespresso coffee maker, but also include a complimentary bottle of water.
Please do let me know when you return to Frankfurt as I would be pleased to welcome you back to the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof.

Kind regards

Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof

Write a ReviewReviews (2,070)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We visited this hotel 28.6.2014 to 1.7. 2014. wow it blew my socks off. We had a deluxe double room which exceeded my expectations. the breakfasts catered for everyone and were just mind blowing. the hotel was spotless the staff were on the ball all the time. attention to detail at every turn for me they left nothing out. Will be back and have told all our friends about it.
Thank you for making our 1st trip to Germany memorable.

Room Tip: Although the hotel is right on the road you hear no traffic. Maybe this we thought Frankfurt was a q...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shirley A

Dear Shirley A,

Thank you very much for your praise. This is much appreciated!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 2 July 2014

As much as my wife and I always enjoy our annual brief stopover (2 nights) at the Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, I continue to be irked by the fact that I am only offered standard Internet service free of charge. It seems petty for the hotel to charge additional for high speed service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gary H

Dear Gary H,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We are sorry that you feel bad about our internet service as we always try to please all of our guests. We do offer basic wifi connectivity free of charge across all our hotels at Steigenberger and due to third party providers have to levy a fee for high speed access.

Nevertheless I do hope to welcome yo back to the hotel soon and remain.

kind regards

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed one night before heading to Mainz, and our stay was fantastic.
Very comfortable room, and my spouse was satisfied in the end.
Good to have a modern jacuzzi and separate shower, and late check-out option.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Seung J. L

5 star luxury hotel with a great location and a wonderful rooms
Rooms were extremely hot , so you'll get a free sauna in the room.
Next morning I've asked for a technicians to solve the issue but nothing happened and called again at night and they said there is no technicians at night and it's better to open the windows which is a ridiculous reply from a 5 star hotel
Then I've requested a fan which was better
I think they put more money on their a/c
But everything else was great and the breakfast is wonderful

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Amroaj
Moritz_Klein, General Manager at Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Amroaj,

I like to thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us and apologize for the inconvenience. That your faulty airconditioner was not fixed is indeed unacceptable and does not reflect the standard we strive to provide. This has been addressed internally.

Thank you also for recognizing our great breakfast and other services.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and remain.

With kind regards

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I visited this hotel after 10 years and I saw all the renovations, which werereally necessary, the rooms are nice and quite, bud the elevator problem is still not solved, a the morning is better to use the stairs. I was also littlke bit disapointed about the holidays od the gourmet restaurant, because I must go far a way for dinner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ladislav V

Dear Ladislav V,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor and for recognizing our renovation works. Apologies for having disappointed you concerning your dinner plans. Our Michelin one starred Restaurant Francais is open Tuesdays through to Saturdays and I hope that you will be able to join us for lunch or dinner during your next visit.

With kind regards

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel, which dates originally from the 19th century, has been extensively renovated. Rooms are generously sized - mine was a superior, which is actually the basic room. This had a separate small dressing/luggage room and a decently sized full bathroon. Furnishings are good quality, beds very comfortable, bathroom potions very high quality. Wifi, though not particularly speedy, is free and unlimited. Many rooms on the 2nd floor have small balconies - the views are unexciting but it's nice to have a little open space.

Breakfast is superb - try to get a deal which includes this, otherwise it's pricey. Service generally is friendly, professional and efficient. Standards of house-keeping are high. The hotel is right in the centre of the city, perfectly placed for business, museums and the opera. I'd certainly choose this hotel again over the more modern but soulless alternatives. It's not cheap, but this is not a cheap city. All in all it's good value.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms with balconies are nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business