“Overall we can do better !” 3 of 5 bubbles

Steigenberger Airport Hotel
Ranked #27 of 267 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Overall we can do better !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

With some changes, this could rate as the best airport hotel around Frankfurt International. Yes, there is a line at the front desk, ALWAYS. It would even be possible for the managers that sit at there desks ( not visible to the guests but the girls do go back to ask them about every important decision ) to actually WORK the check in desk when needed ! And the girls working the front desk do not listen to there guests or understand that we are GUESTS or "fully" understand the hotel business, as they should. After my UIA connector flight to Lufthansa was 5 minutes late and LUFTHANSA slammed the door on 30 passengers trying to board the flight (while the plane was still there ) we were not very happy travelers so I told the girl I was willing to pay for an upgraded room to make the best of the situation for my 13 year old daughter and myself. The girl said I will upgrade you for free. I thought great ! Got to the room, very small, one bed for us to share ! Well folks that wasnt good ! Then check out. Hahahaha.. What a joke ! 6 am and YES a line ! They tried to charge me for there internet twice ( another terrible story ) and also for using the phone twice. Well I did try to call the front desk 10 times but obviously they are to busy to answer !! The girl even questioned me about making calls and this was after I admitted to taking 1 bottle of water from the mini bar proving to you all that I am not a liar !! So in order to make this review more helpful and faster to read I will rate the important things 1 - 10, 10 being the best.
Hotel Service = 2.. Restuarant service = 7 Shuttle = 10 Food Quality = 8 Size, view and cleanliness of room 6 Helpfulness of entire hotel staff = 2 Overall attitude of hotel staff = 3 Beauty of Hotel = 5 Overall value = the 3 star hotel that it truly is. My suggestion to hotel management. Have several meetings and teach your staff not only about trip advisor but about how to treat your GUESTS. AND IMMEDIATELY STOP trying to make it the customers fault whatever it is !! Find a dam solution to make the customer happy and do it quick with a smile ! We do not care who is right or wrong, we need something and we are paying for it, meaning your service ! You are in the service business and we expect such service, not to be treated as though everything is our fault !!

Room Tip: Stay in executive tower but be willing to pay
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear kkmail,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel and that you have taken the time for it. This helps us to recheck and to improve certain services.
I'm sorry you had to wait at our front office after your flight cancelation. In layover situations there may be delays, as many passengers arrive at the same time at the check-in or check-out. My colleagues from the front office are constantly striving to ensure a quick service. I'll give you right, that there is a colleague working in the back area of the front office. This is necessary to ensure the service for in-house guests as well as for incoming calls.
Please excuse the fact that the free upgrade that was given to you, did not meet the required class for two people. My colleagues at the front office are willing to change your room and to assist you with the luggage if you ask for on site.
I also want to apologize for the mistake in the calculation of the internet and telephone charges. Sometimes it's just like Murphy's Law.
Thanks for your reviews of the various sectors as well as your recommendations to our hotel management. I will discuss this in detail with my responsible colleagues.
We would like to convince you during another visit from the fact that our service is very hospitable and we do everything to provide our guests a great stay in Frankfurt.
Tina Schmidt & Steigenberger Airport Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Fleet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

The hotel is located very close to the airport, and a free shuttle bus runs between the two every 15 minutes or so.

I arrived at about 6:30 pm and was greeted by a large que of people waiting to check in. out of the 7 stations at the front desk only 3 were operational..This led toa 20 minute wait in order to check in....unimpressed.

I had a Superior room, and it was very clean indeed. The bathroom was a little strange with a toilet and nice shower in a small standard room and a sink next to the room door. A sliding screen seperated the sink area from the rest of the room..not so great if you want any privacy. not a factor for me as I was on my own.

The gym is ok but could do with a few more machine as there are only one of certain machine types leading to waits.

The pool is also quite nice. and again loked very clean and tidy.

There are 3 places to eat, I choose to eat in the bar area.

The bar was busy..(Semi-finals of european cup being shown) but this let to a 20 minute wait until someone took a drinks order. Worse still was it took an hour and 20 minutes to get some tomatoe soup and a club sandwhich..... Yes it was busy but it dosnt take a rocket scientist to work out you might be busy if there's a big foot ball game on and you're showing in the bar...

The hotel has one of the most annoying internet systems ever that disconnects you every few minutes at random..almost useless for business user.

Checkout was a much less painful affair and went quickly and smoothly.

Summary. Nice hotel, was too slow at many things, fails to keep an eye on customers waiting and act appropriately...

Would I return?? Maybe but I'd try elsewhere first.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Markcu;
Thank you for taking the time to comment your stay at our hotel. Your comments are taken seriously and passed on to my colleagues in detail.
Our free 24 hour express airport shuttle runs every day around the clock, every 15 minutes between the hotel and the terminal 1 and 2.
Please apologize the waiting time at check-in. My colleagues at the front office always strive to ensure a quick and competent check-in and check-out. Sometimes it may happen that we cannot staff all terminals. I can understand your anger in that effect.
Thank you for your comment regarding our Superior Rooms. These rooms have been refurbished and are designed using a new, more modern floor plan. We offer even different room categories. In the Standard, Deluxe and Executive rooms you can still find the usual room / bathroom split. I especially recommend our executive rooms with rain shower and a spacious bathroom.
The pool and fitness room in our spa “Open Sky” are offered free of charge for our guests. By the end of this year we are planning an exchange and an extension of the devices at the gym.
As mentioned by you, in our hotel there are 3 restaurants to choose from. I agree with you that it came to long waiting times during the broadcasts of the European Championship matches in the lobby bistro bar. I do apologize for that. Of course, this was a condition that was predictable. My colleagues also tried to prepare everything accordingly. Unfortunately sometimes they could not meet the demand. We recommend to our guests who are not interested in live broadcasts and prefer to eat in peace, to choose another of our restaurants. So you can enjoy our common quick service.
Even for the internet service and the connection issues I would like to say sorry. We are working intensively to improve this performance with our external provider
I am pleased if you give us another opportunity and we can convince you of our service and our expertise.
Jeddah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

The rooms however are small. The room I had which was not in the executive tower had some issues with the air conditioning, I had to move and was upgraded to the executive tower. The rooms in the tower are modern and luxurious.

Very comfortable, clean and everything you'd expect from a luxury 5 star hotel.
The breakfast buffet is superb! A great selection of breakfast items!

Front desk staff were not cordial. Although rooms were available I was told I could not check in early unless I paid for an additional day, I didn't feel it was fair for 4 hours before the normal check in time. They then came back and told me I could pay for a half day in order to check in early. I travel frequently and did not appreciate this.
I now consider this if I plan to stay there on other business trips.

Room Tip: Executive Tower rooms are ultra modern and luxurious
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear guest;
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
This helps us to keep the quality of our Airport Hotels continuously at a high level.
First of all we would like to apologize for the inconvenience with the air conditioning in your booked room, so we are pleased that we were able to give you a free upgrade to the Executive Tower. Thank you for your kind words regarding the features of the Executive Room and the breakfast quality too.
It is right that the guaranteed check-in time is 3.00 pm. Given the availability, our staff at the front office is encouraged to provide the room free of charge even before. We are sorry that in your case there was required a fee; this is not a common practice in our hotel. We would be happy to reimburse this sum to you, if you could send a copy of your invoice via email to tina.schmidt@airporthotel.steigenberger.de.
We look forward welcoming you again at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel and to convince you of our courteous services.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Great if you are transiting from Frankfurt 5 mins from Airport with hotel shuttle every 15 mins. I would definitely stay again and recommend to all. Exceptional value for money.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear guest;
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed such a favorable stay at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt. Others benefit from your feedback on TripAdvisor so I appreciate you taking the time sharing your opinion with us.
We are looking forward to welcome you again soon at Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
Tweed Heads
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This hotel is excellent. The room was ultra modern, spacious and comfortable (I was upgraded to the Executive Tower). It was completely silent, had a first rate bed and bedding and a stylish bathroom. Room service brought me half a kilo of wonderful cheeses and breads in what was humbly labelled a cheese plate. The best breakfast I have seen in a hotel was offered the next day. All this and a very competitive room price (125 AUD) .

Room Tip: The Executive tower is amazing. Three rooms in my corridor with sound breaking doors closing it off.
Dear guest;
Thank you for taking the time to provide reviewers on TripAdvisor your comments regarding the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt.
We are glad you enjoyed our overall service and your upgrade to the Executive area.
Most of our guests are repeatedly surprised by the price/performance ratio at our hotel. We appreciate you savored our room service and thank you very much for your kind evaluation of our breakfast buffet.
Niles, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

I made a reservation at this hotel for June 22nd, 2012, through an Expedia prepaid deal, which looked promising. On my reservation I had requested a non-smoking, quiet room. When I arrived, the receptionist assured me that she had given me a quiet room, but she did not inform me that it was a smoking room. After having waited in line for 15 minutes and carrying my heavy luggage to my room, I was dismayed to discover a smelly, dingy, old room, with a noisy ventilator. Because I could not get through to the reception on the phone, I had to return to the front desk, wait in line and finally make my request. At this point (it was only 5:30 pm), the receptionist told me they had no more rooms and that I had not indicated I wanted a non-smoking room on my Expedia booking request, which was incorrect. She finally spoke to a manager and gave me what she described as an "upgrade" in a newer section of the hotel. The new room was perfect for a single traveler and also quaint (see photos), but it was right next to the elevator shaft, so I hardly slept that night. Overall, a disappointing experience as regards customer service. It's only because the second room was quite nice that I am giving this hotel 3 stars. Room service was also prompt and courteous.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what kind of room you are booking if you book online.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tigony
, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Tigony,
I thank you that you have evaluated our hotel on Trip Advisor and for the time you spent.
First of all I apologize for the inconvenience of the room moving, also on behalf of the team at the front office.
Please note that the room that you received at check-in, was equivalent to the room category you booked at Expedia. I want to point out that there is no difference in treatment of online and direct booking clients in our hotel. Of course, my colleagues always try to meet requirements regarding location and facilities of the booked room. Unfortunately this is not always possible but depends on the occupancy of our hotel.
I fully understand that you didn’t want to sleep in a smoking room. Since there was no non smoking room available in the category you booked, you got a free upgrade to one of our new superior rooms (higher category). This is a service we are happy to offer upon availability. I'm sorry that you felt disturbed by the elevator and thank you for the kind comment about the room itself.
I am looking forward you visit the Steigenberger Airport Hotel again soon.
Kind regards from Frankfurt,
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Arrived at Frankfurt Airport at 5:30 AM for a 7:30 meeting at the airport. Booked a room at the airport's Steigenberger for a shower and change of clothes. Arrived at the hotel at 6:30 am. They told me that since I have a "day room" I cannot get in before 7:00. But "They are sorry..." What ??? Anyway. I went to my first meeting in Jeans. They promised to call when the room is ready at 7:00. They never did. When I called to check why, they were sorry again.

Room Tip: Never actually got a room....
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear guest;
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt. This helps us to improve constantly.
First of all we would like to inform you that the statement of our staff at the front office regarding the day use room was correct. Day use rooms are available from 7.00 am, this should have been noted in your confirmation. Of course, we always do our best to check the room availability to provide the room even earlier. On this day we couldn’t offer this due to the occupancy situation.
For early arrivals before 07.00 am, we recommend booking a room for the pre-travel day, this guarantees the availability of your room at check-in, regardless of the arrival time next morning (until 12.00 am).
We can only apologize that you were not informed when your room was accessible. Reliability and service to our guests are very important to us and we will resolve this incident at our front office.
We hope you will be giving us another try returning to the Steigenberger Airport Hotel in the future.
Tina Schmidt & Steigenberger Airport Hotel Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfurt
MEININGER Hotel Frankfurt/Main Airport
NH Frankfurt Airport
NH Frankfurt Airport
#1 of 7 in Kelsterbach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,300 reviews

Been to Steigenberger Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!