“Great airport hotel.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Great airport hotel.”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I have zero complaints about my stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel. I stayed here at the end of a busy holiday in Europe and was very happy with the experience. I booked via Expedia and got a great rate for a non-smoking room (large, clean, quiet) in the executive tower. I was dragging a lot of luggage and found it very easy to get from the Frankfurt train station to the airport. A free shuttle then picked me up at the airport and took me to the hotel. In the morning shuttles leave from the hotel every 15 minutes. It takes four minutes to get to your terminal. Makes travel easy. Also the hotel is on the edge of a large forest area and the hotel will give you a map showing well marked walking/running tracks if you fancy getting out and stretching your legs after a long day travelling.

Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear TravelFB;
I am very pleased that you evaluated your stay at our airport hotel so positive on Tripadvisor. Thank you for this!
Our free 24 hours express airport shuttle is actually very appreciated by our guests. It runs every day around the clock, every 15 minutes between the hotel and the terminal 1. A second shuttle bus runs between the hotel and Terminal 2, in the same frequency.
I am happy that you visited the city forest and that you used our jogging map to explore the best path for you. The forest is ideal for cycling, hiking, walking or jogging. Every taste is catered for, and you get fresh air on top.
I am pleased if you visit us again soon at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel in Frankfurt.
Tina Schmidt & Steigenberger Airport Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Excellent 5* hotel at the excellent location.
Areas for improvement:
- more staff required at the reception - queues can get quite long
- matrace protection linnen is made with plastic of a poor quality, hence not the best sleep quality

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Dear ST JUNIEN;
Thank you for your great feedback about your stay at our hotel.
I also thank you for your two comments. At the reception, there may be a short waiting time during a “rush hour”, I agree with you. But we are always keen to improve our service.
We will check the protection requirements of the mattresses. I have forwarded this to our executive housekeeper.
I hope you visit us again soon.
Until then, good luck and many regards from Frankfurt
Grantham
Reviewed 5 July 2012

No complaints with this hotel at all.
As you would expect, the staff were friendly, the rooms excellent - especially the bathroom, which is a pet subject of mine. Thehotel restaurant (outside typical German) was very good.
The shuttle was frequent and all in all this was great value for money.
Will return. *****

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear WorldlyWiseTraveller;
Thank you very much for your positive feedback to our hotel.
I am very pleased that you have felt so comfortable with us and we were able to meet your expectations. I gladly forward your feedback to my colleagues as well.
We look forward to your next stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
All the best so far and kind regards to Grantham
Midwest
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We were on the last night of our journey to Germany/France and we were road weary. This hotel was just the ticket to kick back and relax. We dined in the traditional German restaurant (sitting in the open air courtyard was very relaxing) and while it is expensive, the service was great and the food very delicious. Our room was clean, spacious, quiet (even if it's by the airport) and air conditioned.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear seadog4;
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate your stay with us.
I am very happy about your positive words regarding the food quality and service in our traditional restaurant “Unterschweinstiege” with its large summer terrace. Great, that you enjoyed your room. Due to the proximity to the airport all our rooms are equipped with soundproof windows, so you can enjoy a restful stay.
Visit us again soon. You might try then also our wellbeing area or a bicycle rent for a trip in the neighboring city forest?
Best wishes to Midwest.
California
Reviewed 30 June 2012

With some changes, this could rate as the best airport hotel around Frankfurt International. Yes, there is a line at the front desk, ALWAYS. It would even be possible for the managers that sit at there desks ( not visible to the guests but the girls do go back to ask them about every important decision ) to actually WORK the check in desk when needed ! And the girls working the front desk do not listen to there guests or understand that we are GUESTS or "fully" understand the hotel business, as they should. After my UIA connector flight to Lufthansa was 5 minutes late and LUFTHANSA slammed the door on 30 passengers trying to board the flight (while the plane was still there ) we were not very happy travelers so I told the girl I was willing to pay for an upgraded room to make the best of the situation for my 13 year old daughter and myself. The girl said I will upgrade you for free. I thought great ! Got to the room, very small, one bed for us to share ! Well folks that wasnt good ! Then check out. Hahahaha.. What a joke ! 6 am and YES a line ! They tried to charge me for there internet twice ( another terrible story ) and also for using the phone twice. Well I did try to call the front desk 10 times but obviously they are to busy to answer !! The girl even questioned me about making calls and this was after I admitted to taking 1 bottle of water from the mini bar proving to you all that I am not a liar !! So in order to make this review more helpful and faster to read I will rate the important things 1 - 10, 10 being the best.
Hotel Service = 2.. Restuarant service = 7 Shuttle = 10 Food Quality = 8 Size, view and cleanliness of room 6 Helpfulness of entire hotel staff = 2 Overall attitude of hotel staff = 3 Beauty of Hotel = 5 Overall value = the 3 star hotel that it truly is. My suggestion to hotel management. Have several meetings and teach your staff not only about trip advisor but about how to treat your GUESTS. AND IMMEDIATELY STOP trying to make it the customers fault whatever it is !! Find a dam solution to make the customer happy and do it quick with a smile ! We do not care who is right or wrong, we need something and we are paying for it, meaning your service ! You are in the service business and we expect such service, not to be treated as though everything is our fault !!

Room Tip: Stay in executive tower but be willing to pay
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear kkmail,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel and that you have taken the time for it. This helps us to recheck and to improve certain services.
I'm sorry you had to wait at our front office after your flight cancelation. In layover situations there may be delays, as many passengers arrive at the same time at the check-in or check-out. My colleagues from the front office are constantly striving to ensure a quick service. I'll give you right, that there is a colleague working in the back area of the front office. This is necessary to ensure the service for in-house guests as well as for incoming calls.
Please excuse the fact that the free upgrade that was given to you, did not meet the required class for two people. My colleagues at the front office are willing to change your room and to assist you with the luggage if you ask for on site.
I also want to apologize for the mistake in the calculation of the internet and telephone charges. Sometimes it's just like Murphy's Law.
Thanks for your reviews of the various sectors as well as your recommendations to our hotel management. I will discuss this in detail with my responsible colleagues.
We would like to convince you during another visit from the fact that our service is very hospitable and we do everything to provide our guests a great stay in Frankfurt.
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The hotel is located very close to the airport, and a free shuttle bus runs between the two every 15 minutes or so.

I arrived at about 6:30 pm and was greeted by a large que of people waiting to check in. out of the 7 stations at the front desk only 3 were operational..This led toa 20 minute wait in order to check in....unimpressed.

I had a Superior room, and it was very clean indeed. The bathroom was a little strange with a toilet and nice shower in a small standard room and a sink next to the room door. A sliding screen seperated the sink area from the rest of the room..not so great if you want any privacy. not a factor for me as I was on my own.

The gym is ok but could do with a few more machine as there are only one of certain machine types leading to waits.

The pool is also quite nice. and again loked very clean and tidy.

There are 3 places to eat, I choose to eat in the bar area.

The bar was busy..(Semi-finals of european cup being shown) but this let to a 20 minute wait until someone took a drinks order. Worse still was it took an hour and 20 minutes to get some tomatoe soup and a club sandwhich..... Yes it was busy but it dosnt take a rocket scientist to work out you might be busy if there's a big foot ball game on and you're showing in the bar...

The hotel has one of the most annoying internet systems ever that disconnects you every few minutes at random..almost useless for business user.

Checkout was a much less painful affair and went quickly and smoothly.

Summary. Nice hotel, was too slow at many things, fails to keep an eye on customers waiting and act appropriately...

Would I return?? Maybe but I'd try elsewhere first.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Markcu;
Thank you for taking the time to comment your stay at our hotel. Your comments are taken seriously and passed on to my colleagues in detail.
Our free 24 hour express airport shuttle runs every day around the clock, every 15 minutes between the hotel and the terminal 1 and 2.
Please apologize the waiting time at check-in. My colleagues at the front office always strive to ensure a quick and competent check-in and check-out. Sometimes it may happen that we cannot staff all terminals. I can understand your anger in that effect.
Thank you for your comment regarding our Superior Rooms. These rooms have been refurbished and are designed using a new, more modern floor plan. We offer even different room categories. In the Standard, Deluxe and Executive rooms you can still find the usual room / bathroom split. I especially recommend our executive rooms with rain shower and a spacious bathroom.
The pool and fitness room in our spa “Open Sky” are offered free of charge for our guests. By the end of this year we are planning an exchange and an extension of the devices at the gym.
As mentioned by you, in our hotel there are 3 restaurants to choose from. I agree with you that it came to long waiting times during the broadcasts of the European Championship matches in the lobby bistro bar. I do apologize for that. Of course, this was a condition that was predictable. My colleagues also tried to prepare everything accordingly. Unfortunately sometimes they could not meet the demand. We recommend to our guests who are not interested in live broadcasts and prefer to eat in peace, to choose another of our restaurants. So you can enjoy our common quick service.
Even for the internet service and the connection issues I would like to say sorry. We are working intensively to improve this performance with our external provider
I am pleased if you give us another opportunity and we can convince you of our service and our expertise.
Jeddah
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The rooms however are small. The room I had which was not in the executive tower had some issues with the air conditioning, I had to move and was upgraded to the executive tower. The rooms in the tower are modern and luxurious.

Very comfortable, clean and everything you'd expect from a luxury 5 star hotel.
The breakfast buffet is superb! A great selection of breakfast items!

Front desk staff were not cordial. Although rooms were available I was told I could not check in early unless I paid for an additional day, I didn't feel it was fair for 4 hours before the normal check in time. They then came back and told me I could pay for a half day in order to check in early. I travel frequently and did not appreciate this.
I now consider this if I plan to stay there on other business trips.

Room Tip: Executive Tower rooms are ultra modern and luxurious
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear guest;
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
This helps us to keep the quality of our Airport Hotels continuously at a high level.
First of all we would like to apologize for the inconvenience with the air conditioning in your booked room, so we are pleased that we were able to give you a free upgrade to the Executive Tower. Thank you for your kind words regarding the features of the Executive Room and the breakfast quality too.
It is right that the guaranteed check-in time is 3.00 pm. Given the availability, our staff at the front office is encouraged to provide the room free of charge even before. We are sorry that in your case there was required a fee; this is not a common practice in our hotel. We would be happy to reimburse this sum to you, if you could send a copy of your invoice via email to tina.schmidt@airporthotel.steigenberger.de.
We look forward welcoming you again at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel and to convince you of our courteous services.