“Convenient hotel very clean and good staff with some minor inconveniences”

Steigenberger Airport Hotel
Ranked #26 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
GreenLeadersSilver level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Convenient hotel very clean and good staff with some minor inconveniences”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

At arrival we were told we got a free upgrade from executive room to a junior suite. Of course that was nice to hear.

Being inside the room there were some minor inconveniences like a TV which is placed so far from the bed that watching it from the bed is not very relaxing for the eyes. The blowdrier had to be held permanently which was very uncomfortable if not painfull and even though the booking site showed occupancy two people and a dog in the room i booked i was charged an extra 20 euros at checkout which was to my surprise.Otherwise the stay was good and the staff was friendly.
The location from the airoprt is good there are many trees and its quiet in the area with some office buildings, they have a very effiecient and free shuttle service that will take you to the airport in 5 minutes and runs every 15 mins.
All in all a good stay at a nice hotel at 95 euros a night for the executive room excl parking at 19 euro's per 24 hrs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Talmai;
Thank you for submitting your review on Tripadvisor.
I am glad that my colleagues at the front office were able to give you a free upgrade to a Junior Suite. It is regrettable that the plasma TV and the modern hair dryer did not meet your expectations. Sorry for the inconveniences.
Pets are welcome in all our rooms. There is always an extra charge of 20 EUR per animal, as the room needs to be cleaned especially since subsequent guests should not experience any interference by pet hair or odor.
We would appreciate if you may be our guests again soon.
Kind greetings from Frankfurt
Tina Schmidt & Steigenberger Airport Hotel Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel because my flight to sfo was cancelled and United Airlines directed me to this hotel. The front desk agents were friendly and welcoming.

I bought the Wi-Fi because I needed a way to stay in contact with my family to let them know how long I will be in Frankfurt until I get rebooked to a flight. When I had to print my e-ticket in the business center it did not allow me to login; thus, the business center agent solved the issue for me by calling the server to completely log me off the system. However, this problem happened again the next night when I tried to print my boarding pass. It was around 10 pm so the business center agent already left and the front desk were the only ones I could ask for help. When I asked them for help the front desk agent did not know how to fix the problem so I informed her how the business center agent first fixed it.

The rooms are decent size and I like that there is carpet in the rooms. The bed was very comfortable. Although, I think the housekeeping staff could do a better job with cleaning the bathrooms. There were very visible water marks on the sink and counter so it gave me the impression that the rooms do not thoroughly get cleaned for every guest stay.

The bar staff definitely exceeded my expectations. After living in Paris, I was used to waiting patiently to be served. However, the staff at the bar were accommodating and efficient. The menu also had a wide variety.

• Stayed July 2013
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear piarod;
Thank you for the good review of our hotel and that you have invested your time.
We are very pleased that despite of the layover you still had a good time in Frankfurt and we were able to contribute.
Please excuse if the bathroom was not cleaned completely perfect in your room. This should certainly not occur.
I thank you also for your compliments to our team at the bar; I'm very glad to pass this to my colleagues.
Perhaps we may welcome you soon with us again? Next time hopefully “voluntarily” and without layover.
Kind greetings from Frankfurt
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The hotel is Beautiful. The executive tower room was outstanding, loved the shower!!! The food was excellent and the staff went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. By far the best hotel I have stayed in for a long time. The only thing I would improve is the check in, it was a bit lengthy.

Room Tip: The executive tower room is the way to go.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Tom S;
Thank you very much for the great review of your stay in our hotel.
It is a wonderful complement to our entire team that you were completely satisfied with our service, quality of food and your Executive Room. How wonderful that we could provide you a great stay.
Hopefully we can be your host again soon.
Many greetings to Dallas
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

So, where do I start?
I guess a good way to begin is to start with some good points.
Before arriving to the hotel your journey from the airport to the hotel is made easier as they put on a courtesy transfer bus from both terminals 1 & 2. This service can also be used to go back and forward as many times as required over your stay for free (there is not much for free so this is gut!).
Unfortunately as another review read you have to be standing in exact spot and quickly board bus when it arrives as the driver will not hang about for you or even stop even when you try to wave him down. This happened to us the very first night and was very frustrating as we were travelling 4 adults with two new Born babies, 1 child 6 months old and 1 child 3 months old. we were literally 2 meters away!
The hotel on first impressions from first view looked quite dated but inside main reception it's actually quite nice but very business like. The reception staff were nice enough but I was told that the cot I had ordered for my 3 month old baby had been double booked and that there was nothing they could do to help me. I was gutted!
I had booked a junior suite for 3 days and after a friends wedding I would return for one further night in a superior room.
The suite was nice enough With a modern feel but even for a junior suite it was quite small. I have stayed in much larger 5star junior suites than this. We called housekeeping direct from room and within 10minutes a cot had arrived. The porter who dropped it off said there were plenty of cots even though reception told me they could do nothing else to help me. Not a 5 star service!
Again, mentioned in other reviews there is no free wifi, now we live in modern times, here in Scotland we can get free wifi on our local bus service but in this 5 Star hotel it's costs you a lot of money. Once paid for wifi we then found out you could only log on with one device. Another device means another bill!
I met my friend down in the bar for a beer, expect to pay through the nose for anything here and if having table service be prepared to wait. We ended up sitting at the bar as it seemed the only way we were going to get a drink. The bar staff were friendly but not efficient.
The first morning we were rudely awakened by a chamber person knocking on our door at 7.15am even though we had booked in for 3 nights. I find this ludicrous that the chamber person is allowed to knock on a stay over door at stupid o'clock. This rude awakening happened not once but 3 times in 4 mornings we were there!
On both occasions we were there the concierge was by far the most customer focused member of the team.
On the arrival for our one night stay the same bloody thing happened with the cot and once again it seemed there had been no communication with housekeeping even though we had once again been told, and quite rudely might I add, that they could not help us.
This time we ate in the bar. Waitress was very off and rude, however food was very good but once again service very slow and very expensive.
To sum up, would I stay here again? No!
Would I recommend to a friend? No!
Far too expensive and pretending to be something that they cannot supply.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GregorAlana31
Dear GregorAlana31;
Thank you for your detailed review and that you have invested your time for it.
Our complimentary 24-hour express airport shuttle commutes every 15 minutes between the hotel and Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. At each terminal there are clearly marked stops for the hotel shuttle busses. These stations are pre-set by the airport operator and must be strictly adhered to by the drivers of all hotel shuttle providers. Therefore our driver cannot decide to stop at another location. It is a requirement to which all have to keep what is also comprehensible for the organization of an international, high-traffic airport.
I want to apologize to you that there was so much seesaw with the cot. The communication between housekeeping and front office obviously did not work well. I assure you that I have already spoken with the relevant colleagues to ensure this does not happen again.
The size of our junior suites is certainly comparable to the average in other 5 star hotels; there are possibly larger floor plans, this varies from hotel to hotel. Nevertheless I am very happy that you did rate the sleep quality that good.
The fee for the use of our Wi-Fi or Internet is 14.50 EUR for 24 hours. If you want to use two devices online at the same time, you need two separate access codes. Alternatively you can use one by one with the same access code. We are already working to improve this service for our guests.
I'm sorry if you had to wait in our lobby bistro bar. It may happen sometimes that there is a kind of rush hour and my colleagues cannot afford the service as quickly as usual.
Please excuse that our cleaning staff knocked on your room so early. I have informed our executive housekeeper to sensitize the employees, especially for stay over rooms with family.
It is a great pity that we did not manage to convince you of our service and our offer during your two visits. Maybe once we get a third chance; I am also personally available to you.
Many greetings to Edinburgh
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Spending the last night of a three-week trip to Germany, I chose the Steigenberger Airport Hotel adjacent to the Frankfurt Airport. My thought was that it is better to be close to the airport for an early morning departure and eliminate some of the uncertainties, which can cause delays from time to time.

The location of the hotel was my strongest reason for the selection, but the result was most pleasing. Our room was very nice with every comfort amenity, including an in-room espresso machine.

The staff was very accommodating and the complimentary shuttle bus, which left every 15 minutes for the airport, was just what we needed. Our check-in at the airport was convenient and the day started off just perfect.

I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelinMan760
Dear TravelinMan760;
Thank you for the fantastic review of your stay with us and that you have given us a perfect score at TripAdvisor.
It is very nice to read that we were the right choice to complete your Germany vacation and thus you could fly home relaxed. We are very pleased that you were so satisfied with our service and the location of our hotel.
I hope you visit us again at Frankfurt Airport.
Many greetings to San Diego
Toronto
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The Steigenberger Airport hotel is located five minutes away from the main airport terminals and is reachable by a free shuttle bus that departs every 15 minutes all day. The hotel is located approximately 15-20 minutes from the centre of the Old City but that is a pricey ride via taxi, particularly if traffic is heavy. We had an almost traffic-free trip on a weekday holiday and our cab ride was 35 Euros each way. There are alternatives to reaching the city such as connecting via the underground or via a train, both of which you need to return to the airport to accomplish, if you are inclined to save money but add a far amount of transit time into Frankfurt. Aside from the airport itself, other hotels and generic office buildings, this area has little to offer in terms of things to do and see. But for an airport hotel, obviously the location is ideal.

The hotel itself is large and has all the regular amenities one can expect from an international airport hotel, such as multiple restaurants, multilingual staff, assistance with travel to and from the centre of Frankfurt, a taxi stand, etc. We found that the front desk staff at this hotel were exceptionally friendly and very helpful with a variety of inquiries. We also enjoyed our morning breakfast, which is an extensive buffet, with excellent opening hours. We found it to be always busy, however, and expensive. Our best recommendation would be to try lunch or dinner at the Unterschweinstiege Restaurant around the back of the hotel, which is a traditional German restaurant with plenty of ambience and local cuisine.

Our room was an average size, with an en suite bathroom. Everything was clean and we did have a nice view away from the airport into a local forest, which seemed quite peaceful. The room itself has no particular personality or excess creature comforts but does its job well for a one night stay. I certainly would comment that this hotel is much quieter than one would expect based on how many people seemed to be in transit through its lobby all day and night.

One thing we did enjoy in particular was the spa and swimming room, which appear to be newly renovated. The staff at the spa prefer you to book an appointment ahead of time, i.e. at your arrival or a few hours beforehand, but are willing to take walk-in requests. You are able to use the pool without an appointment and the whole arrangement has a great view over the hotel park and into the airport and city. The pool and spa are a great way to relax and spend a few hours not thinking about being in transit. The prices are cheaper than the main airport as well and the staff are very good - friendly, chatty and well-trained. We enjoyed ourselves relaxing here the morning before our departure.

We would use this hotel again if we came to Frankfurt and had to spend a night or two between flights. We would also consider using the spa or visiting the Unterschweinstiege restaurant with enough time to spare between airport flights as it is close, quiet and affordable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear kristinagrace;
Thank you very much that you took the time to write such a detailed and comprehensive feedback on your stay with us. We are very pleased with your kind comments and that you share your positive experience with other travelers.
Thank you also for your positive words about our front desk team and its helpful service as well as for the great description of our generous breakfast buffet.
I am very pleased that you did like and recommend our Unterschweinstiege restaurant. Certainly, this location is a rarity for an airport hotel.
Wonderful, that your room has met your expectations and you might enjoy the tranquility.
Our spa Open Sky in the 9th floor offers a beautiful panoramic view of the airport as well as an indoor pool, Finnish sauna, bio sauna, steam room and gym. The use is free of charge and without reservation for our hotel guests. We are the only hotel at Frankfurt airport, which provides a pool.
Hopefully we can welcome you again very soon at Unterschweinstiege and Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
Many greetings to Toronto
Singapore
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Despite it being next to the airport, there was absolutely no noise from the landing or departing air crafts. Room is clean and was welcome with an upgrade to the deluxe room. Small but functional thought the bathroom is quite big. Love the rain shower bathroom!
If you have a morning flight, it is a hotel worth staying overnight.

Free airport transfer to and from the Terminal 1 and 2. If you are landing into Terminal 1, the airport shuttle is located at both exit A1 and C7. You will see a lot of people queue, you just have to wait for a big bus with STEIGENBERGER AIRPORT SHUTTLE printed on it to arrive. Interval is every 15min and journey time is less than 5 min. The pick up from Terminal 2 is at Exit E and is a smaller van that sits about 10 people. Excellent service staff to assist you at the reception!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Victoria_MY;
Thank you for the very positive review your stay at our hotel and that you took the time to share your positive experiences with other travelers.
I am very pleased that you were so satisfied with our service and the rooms offer. All our guest rooms are equipped with multiple soundproof windows to allow our guests a pleasant and relaxing stay.
We look forward to your next visit and wish you all the best until then.
Greetings to Singapure