“It's the little things that (don't) count”

IntercityHotel Frankfurt Airport
Ranked #109 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I used to love this hotel. I have stayed several times. The hotel is nice. It's modern, it's clean, it has a bit of flair in its decor. The restaurant is fantastic (one of my favourites among all the hotels I frequent) and the little bar is cool, and the bar staff are friendly. The place is comfortable, and it's clean and neat. I don't think I'll stay here again. I have one visit booked, which I will keep, but then I think I will go somewhere else. Why? I am tired of checkin and checkout here. It's such a little thing, but the check-in is always problematic, it can be slow, it's often delivered with curt or even rude service, and the desk staff are impatient with you (difficult after hours of long travel). It's the little things that just ruin the rest of your stay with a hotel. This hotel's Achille's heel is its checkin and checkout. If it could be a friendly experience, it would make 180 degrees of difference. I've had enough now. Time to pick a different place to stay in Frankfurt.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank straightliner
There are newer reviews for IntercityHotel Frankfurt Airport

Reviewed 6 January 2011

We arrived in Frankfurt from a long flight from Brisbane, Australia, so we were looking for somewhere close to the airport to rest (we have a 4 yo and a 20 mth old) before a train ride north the next day.

They were not interested in letting us check in early (we landed at 05.45, so had the whole day to fill in). We waited for the bus at the airport for about 25 mins. It is about a 10 min ride to the hotel. The bus driver was not a safe driver.... we questioned whether he has a license as his driving ability was very poor.

Check in was ok. The staff were efficient but not friendly. The rooms were clean, a good size, modern, and with all the facilities we needed, so we were happy with this. The Hotel is in the middle of an industrial precinct, so the only choice for food is the onsite restaurant, or room service, of which the prices were not cheap (no surprise there).

The bus trip back to the airport costs $5 euro. They make out that the bus is free, and this is in one small section on the website that mentions the charge, so is a bit misleading. We got the bus at 06.45 and it was very full.... in fact we were lucky to get on... so I suggest getting down to the foyer early if you need to make a flight or train trip at this time of the day.

Overall, it served it's purpose.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TheClarkeClan
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Good, budget hotel very close to the airport. The rooms are small but clean and well kept. The breakfast buffet is pretty good and they also have a bar in the hotel. To get to the city, the best way is to take the hotel shuttle to the airport (runs every 30 mins) and then take the train to the city.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We ended up staying here the night before our flight because it was convenient. It cost us about $180 for a double room. The room was very clean, with a few exceptions that I will bring up later, but it had a lot of problems. The shower drain didn't drain. We had to stop several times during a shower, turn off the shower and wait for it to drain so it didn't overflow. The bathroom faucet came out at a trickle, hot or cold. The beds were worn out and mine squeaked with every breath I took. There was an empty beer bottle sitting on top of the closet. I threw my pillow on the floor and slept without because I could smell where someone else had laid their head on it. When I got ready the next morning, I discovered the hair dryer in the room did not work. Luckily I had my own, although I had to unpack everything to find it again. This was not a good experience. Very disappointing for Germany where we have always find all lodging to be wonderful.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2010

A colleague and I were booked at this hotel by our travel agent after we adjusted our plans due to weather. There were few other options as other hotels were booked due to weather issues. This is a Steigenberger Hotel but clearly of a much lower class than the Frankfurts Steigenberger Airport Hotel so don't confuse the two. Steigenberger InterCity is clearly a hotel that no one would ever choose. It is essentially a grossly over priced flop house for stranded travellers.

Problems-
The quality vs the price is extremely poor. There is no way this hotel should ever be priced above 60 euros or $90. We paid 4 times that. What did we get?

A box hotel that is not well maintained with staff that are not responsive. Clearly this was hotel was built 40 or 50 years ago and should have been knocked down 15 years ago.

1. Maintenance and staff responsiveness was poor.

For example my room's door would not lock so in order to leave the room for a late dinner and breakfast I had to store my bag in my colleagues room. I asked to have this fixed at the front desk about 2130 hrs, 30 minutes after checking in. It still was not fixed until after 0930 hours the next morning. My door was unsecured all that time. And there are no safes in the rooms.
Further the hallways smelled strange. To be blunt they smelled of urine.
2. Dinner in the pub was sub par. Essentially the food appeared to be out of a frozen box. Overpriced.
3. Upon check in we were asked if we wanted to add breakfast to our bill. We declined not realizing that entering the breakfast resaurant required the use of your room key in order to open a turnstile. Since our room key did not have the breakfast credit we could not enter the breakfast room, and there was no attendent at the door. This means returning to the front desk and paying for breakfast there- after standing in line with all the people chec\king out. Unique in the hotel world and very annoying. Like a college dorm. (That description matches the room style and quality too.)
4. The shuttle from the airport only runs every 30 minutes- and the return shuttle costs 5 euros. In a sense this was positive. I was glad to pay this as it meant I would be able to leave this dive.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank CanuckReview
Reviewed 22 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel, after - like other reviewers - complications with Lufthansa airline.
At arrival on the free shuttle bus offered by the hotel, there were several dozen passengers who had also had cancelled flights and the staff handled the influx quite well.
Our rooms were clean and spacious. The bathroom was clean which was nice. Buffet dinner and breakfast were plentiful. The hotel had a friendly note to guests that takeaway was more than welcome. It was a very nice gesture.
When I realised my travel adaptor had broken, I called reception and the friendly gentleman who answered was very polite and lovely, lent me one from the hotel. This was very much appreciated. Overall, I found the reception staff to be very polite which is a huge plus for me.
The only downfall? I found the duvet was too small for the bed :-(
I would definitely recommend this hotel if you need somewhere to stay that is close to Frankfurt Airport and take advantage of the shuttle bus the hotel offers.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2010

They advertise free airport transport except they charge $7.00 per person to return
to the airport.
Everyone at the hotel appears to have received an airline voucher for cancellation etc.

Therefore I felt like we were only ones paying a fortune for the mediocre buffet.
Never again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfurt
NH Frankfurt Airport
MOXY Frankfurt Airport
MOXY Frankfurt Airport
#72 of 270 in Frankfurt
Mercure Hotel Frankfurt Airport

Been to IntercityHotel Frankfurt Airport? Share your experiences!