“Avoid!”

Ranked #106 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Avoid!”
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Convenience to the airport/shuttle bus service was the appeal. Clean enough room, HOWEVER, the room was made up as a single, despite double occupancy reservation. Arrived at midnight, and it took one full hour to receive the additional pillow/quilt/set of towels. Originally the quilt ONLY was delivered while we were at dinner in the Pub (restaurant closed), and we could not wait any longer for dinner/Pub closing. Were told by front desk that pillows were delivered. No......pillows followed 20-30 minutes after our 2nd or 34d call (at 1:00 AM!). Still no towels, and we walked to the front desk and procured them ourselves. No apologies for missing items/long wait at this hour. Hotel was absolutely quiet; no apparent reason for the lack of response. The next morning, post-breakfast, we found no electricity to the room. A call to housekeeping resulted in a knock on the door 10-15 mins. later. No apology; simply "The power to this part of the hotel was turned off, and I'll turn it back on." Another 10 minutes later, the power was restored. Was the staff unaware that there were guests in the room? Check out time was not for 2 more hours. Complete ineptitude.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This modern 4-star hotel is located directly next to Frankfurt Airport's terminals. It offers an airport shuttle, a fitness centre and free use of public transport. Wi-Fi is available for an extra fee. A varied breakfast is provided
There is a sauna and gym.
The hotel's airport shuttle is available for an extra charge. It leaves every 30 minutes between 04:45 to 00:30. Frankfurt city centre is about 10 minutes away by city rail.

Stayed January 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I used to love this hotel. I have stayed several times. The hotel is nice. It's modern, it's clean, it has a bit of flair in its decor. The restaurant is fantastic (one of my favourites among all the hotels I frequent) and the little bar is cool, and the bar staff are friendly. The place is comfortable, and it's clean and neat. I don't think I'll stay here again. I have one visit booked, which I will keep, but then I think I will go somewhere else. Why? I am tired of checkin and checkout here. It's such a little thing, but the check-in is always problematic, it can be slow, it's often delivered with curt or even rude service, and the desk staff are impatient with you (difficult after hours of long travel). It's the little things that just ruin the rest of your stay with a hotel. This hotel's Achille's heel is its checkin and checkout. If it could be a friendly experience, it would make 180 degrees of difference. I've had enough now. Time to pick a different place to stay in Frankfurt.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank straightliner

Travellers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We arrived in Frankfurt from a long flight from Brisbane, Australia, so we were looking for somewhere close to the airport to rest (we have a 4 yo and a 20 mth old) before a train ride north the next day.

They were not interested in letting us check in early (we landed at 05.45, so had the whole day to fill in). We waited for the bus at the airport for about 25 mins. It is about a 10 min ride to the hotel. The bus driver was not a safe driver.... we questioned whether he has a license as his driving ability was very poor.

Check in was ok. The staff were efficient but not friendly. The rooms were clean, a good size, modern, and with all the facilities we needed, so we were happy with this. The Hotel is in the middle of an industrial precinct, so the only choice for food is the onsite restaurant, or room service, of which the prices were not cheap (no surprise there).

The bus trip back to the airport costs $5 euro. They make out that the bus is free, and this is in one small section on the website that mentions the charge, so is a bit misleading. We got the bus at 06.45 and it was very full.... in fact we were lucky to get on... so I suggest getting down to the foyer early if you need to make a flight or train trip at this time of the day.

Overall, it served it's purpose.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TheClarkeClan
New Delhi
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Good, budget hotel very close to the airport. The rooms are small but clean and well kept. The breakfast buffet is pretty good and they also have a bar in the hotel. To get to the city, the best way is to take the hotel shuttle to the airport (runs every 30 mins) and then take the train to the city.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Missouri
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We ended up staying here the night before our flight because it was convenient. It cost us about $180 for a double room. The room was very clean, with a few exceptions that I will bring up later, but it had a lot of problems. The shower drain didn't drain. We had to stop several times during a shower, turn off the shower and wait for it to drain so it didn't overflow. The bathroom faucet came out at a trickle, hot or cold. The beds were worn out and mine squeaked with every breath I took. There was an empty beer bottle sitting on top of the closet. I threw my pillow on the floor and slept without because I could smell where someone else had laid their head on it. When I got ready the next morning, I discovered the hair dryer in the room did not work. Luckily I had my own, although I had to unpack everything to find it again. This was not a good experience. Very disappointing for Germany where we have always find all lodging to be wonderful.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2010

A colleague and I were booked at this hotel by our travel agent after we adjusted our plans due to weather. There were few other options as other hotels were booked due to weather issues. This is a Steigenberger Hotel but clearly of a much lower class than the Frankfurts Steigenberger Airport Hotel so don't confuse the two. Steigenberger InterCity is clearly a hotel that no one would ever choose. It is essentially a grossly over priced flop house for stranded travellers.

Problems-
The quality vs the price is extremely poor. There is no way this hotel should ever be priced above 60 euros or $90. We paid 4 times that. What did we get?

A box hotel that is not well maintained with staff that are not responsive. Clearly this was hotel was built 40 or 50 years ago and should have been knocked down 15 years ago.

1. Maintenance and staff responsiveness was poor.

For example my room's door would not lock so in order to leave the room for a late dinner and breakfast I had to store my bag in my colleagues room. I asked to have this fixed at the front desk about 2130 hrs, 30 minutes after checking in. It still was not fixed until after 0930 hours the next morning. My door was unsecured all that time. And there are no safes in the rooms.
Further the hallways smelled strange. To be blunt they smelled of urine.
2. Dinner in the pub was sub par. Essentially the food appeared to be out of a frozen box. Overpriced.
3. Upon check in we were asked if we wanted to add breakfast to our bill. We declined not realizing that entering the breakfast resaurant required the use of your room key in order to open a turnstile. Since our room key did not have the breakfast credit we could not enter the breakfast room, and there was no attendent at the door. This means returning to the front desk and paying for breakfast there- after standing in line with all the people chec\king out. Unique in the hotel world and very annoying. Like a college dorm. (That description matches the room style and quality too.)
4. The shuttle from the airport only runs every 30 minutes- and the return shuttle costs 5 euros. In a sense this was positive. I was glad to pay this as it meant I would be able to leave this dive.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank CanuckReview
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfurt
Holiday Inn Frankfurt Airport
#1 of 8 in Kelsterbach
Park Inn by Radisson Frankfurt Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport
Sheraton Frankfurt Airport Hotel & Conference Center

Been to IntercityHotel Frankfurt Airport? Share your experiences!