“Great middle class family german restaurant!”
Review of Baseler Eck

Baseler Eck
Ranked #88 of 2,509 Restaurants in Frankfurt
Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: German
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great middle class family german restaurant!”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

It is a true German tavern, with long tables and good hearty food. It´s a friendly non assuming place where one can have a great time.

Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“Good food but horrible attitude”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I'd say the food is good. But the owner/waiter of the shop was really rude to my mom and I. My mother and I shared a lentil soup and a dish of pork knuckle. As I'm having a flu at the moment and mom also didn't want any drinks, so we didn't order any cold drinks. When the owner/waiter came to collect my bill, he told me that here is Germany and that it's a German thing. Everything we have ordered was not even enough to cover our table. The dish, forks, knifes and the tablecloth etc It's more expensive for him. It's different with China. I immediately told him that I was from Taiwan and not from China. He said China, Taiwan are the same. It's like Germany! They have East and West Germany. He then asked if I was a tourist. So does it mean he is going to treat us differently if we were on business which means we can become frequent customers?????

I would appreciated if he could let me know earlier that we should order two protion of food and drinks. He did not say anything when he was taking my order.

3 Thank Jessica C
Bicester, United Kingdom
“Reliable food and a friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have been going here for the past few years when attending the Book Fair, and The Baseler Eck is always a pleasure and an unchanging landmark in the week in the city. The high point of the main menu has to be the Schweinhacksen on sauerkraut, with the WienerSchnitzel a close second. But save room for the apple fritters (with or without ice cream). The service is efficient and relaxed – no attempt to move you on. Gerd, who oversees the place in all detail, is a genial host by the end of the evening.

I’ll certainly return next year when in the city.

• Visited October 2013
“Great location and great food.”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Very good location near the train station and various hotels. This is THE favorite of airline crews. The menu has standard German food. The 2 most popular items for tourists are Sweinhoxe and Weinerschnitzel. It usually comes with either pommes frites (French fries) or kartoffelen (pan fried small potatoes). You can order a salad on the side. Make sure you order the Apple Strudel and ice-cream. The Germans do not add a lot of sugar so the taste is pure apple and strudel. Expect to have a peach snapp for an after dinner drink. The food is very tasty, filling, but not so that you feel too full.
The service has always been pleasant and efficient by Gerd the owner, his wife, and ex-wife. Keep in mind, the Europeans usually do not rush the service and don't expect the tables to turn; most people are there to enjoy dinner.

• Visited September 2013
West Vancouver, Canada
“Authentic and traditional”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I would recommend the Basler Eck. It is a few blocks from the train station and was recommended by Hotel Monopol. It is casual and comfortable--- not fancy. The food was very good and we found the service to be just right... The owner/waiter is very pleasant. He just takes a bit of time to warm up. I had the grilled "ham hock" (not the right name). It was okay, but I would try sausages next time, which my wife really enjoyed. I didn't think I wanted mashed potatoes, but there were very good. The beer is cold and tasty. The place is low key and comfortable. Being right off the plane fighting a 9 hour time change, we found Baseler Eck to be just what we were looking for.

• Visited September 2013