“Not happy Herr Muller ..........................”

Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel
Ranked #9 of 268 Hotels in Frankfurt
Castlecrag, Australia
“Not happy Herr Muller ..........................”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Frankfurt Hilton

Charles Muller, GM Frankfurt Airport Hilton

Not happy Herr Muller

I am a Hilton Diamond, and checked in at 2040hrs August 2.

After forty (40) hours of flying Sydney-Bangkok-Milan-FRA, and no hotel in that time.

A lonnnnnnnnng day and no hotel. We were tired, and we really wanted some comfort. Which is WHY we book Hilton.

A nice room, a glass of wine in the lounge, and a long sleep.

We were really tired and irritable, and moving 2 heavy bags each, plus carry-ons and computer bags from baggage carousel to your Hotel, via THREE (3) escalators, and lots of walking that do not allow trolleys, really had us arrive totally exhausted. Like many of your guests I feel sure.

The Hilton must be a MILE walk from baggage claim. We got lost, got given wrong directions, could not use carts, and were really drained when we finally found Hilton.

I am a Starwood Platinum and if I knew that Sheraton hotel was far closer to Terminal 1, I would have booked that. Airport Sheratons are good – the one in Charles De Gaulle is superb, and we always book it.

They offer driver for a small fee to meet you at baggage area, and drive you to door despite them being IN the airport - as you are.

We get to check in, and a young girl tells me I have been ‘upgraded’. Great. I tell her of our huge travel ‘day’ and she does not seem very interested.

I ask her if lounge is still open so we can go up, have a glass of wine and a light snack, and go to sleep, as we were flying to Malta early today.

She phoned lounge, told them we were Diamond members, and says she was told if we want a wine we must pay for it, or we can go to the bar if we prefer. There was no-one else at check-in – she could have tried harder.

I could not have believed it – the hotel is nearly EMPTY due to holidays, and 2 Diamond members cannot get offered a single glass of wine?!

Crazy. Go to room 10111 annoyed to find a tiny room, and a bottle of water free. Great.

Thanks so much. A perfect “Welcome to Hilton” after 40 hours on planes.

If this was an “upgraded” room, the mind boggles at what a “basic” room is in your new hotel.

The air conditioning was far too hot even on lowest setting, and I see this comment already on TripAdvisor.

The ‘hot’ water from showers at night and morning was hardly working – was near cold for both of us. Unacceptable even for a $40 roadside motel.

No newspaper in morning and no request if we wanted one.

Sorry Herr Muller, for a brand new Hilton this is just not good enough.

I am a Diamond and Hilton MOSTLY looks after me with nice rooms, ESPECIALLY in a near empty hotel, as yours was last night.

Sadly we have already booked Hilton Frankfurt 2 more times in the next weeks or otherwise I’d probably forget it, and book Sheraton instead.

Design of your rooms is silly – bathrooms are FAR too large for the room size, and I could remove 5 square metres easily if I were designer, and add it to the room area.

No small airport room needs bath AND a shower – crazy waste of space. 2 huge deep wardrobes are a ridiculous waste of space for an airport hotel. One only could be by the door, and allow living area to be FAR greater.

Two persons in this tiny room area is very cramped. Just bad design – not your personal design I know, but you need to live with it – ad all future managers!

To have a lovely view of woodland and trees, but no DOOR to access it from room with a cup of coffee, is insane. Costs nothing extra to have a door there, and right now you cannot even open the windows an inch – they are bolted closed.

I have no idea how big the rooms were at the lower level ‘Garden Inn’ in same location, but they could NOT have been smaller!

Diamond members usually mean something SPECIAL to new Hiltons, and at Frankfurt airport I did not have the feeling we really got any different treatment than a non HHonors member really.

Refusing us a wine because we took 20 minutes to find the hotel, after walking for a mile, and the bar had just closed exactly at 2030 hours is insane, when the lounge was near empty.

I suggest one day when you are very tired that as an experiment you take 2 heavy large suitcases, a computer bag and 2 duty free bags.

Go down to International baggage claim by car, and walk back to your own hotel. You will get a surprise how hard that is to do, how long it takes, and how hot you are.

You cannot use carts, and for a new arrival at airport, no lifts or cabs seem possible – just a mile of walking. EXACTLY as many of your guests do every day.

And see how YOU feel, when a young girl says you can’t have a wine or beer after it all. 

I hope some changes can be made - or bad reviews like this above that I have written, will possibly hurt the Hotel due to strong google matches to TripAdvisor – many will book once, and never return, or use the Sheraton etc.

Diamond members should surely not need to spend an hour writing letters like this about new Hiltons, in such an important city?

The overall quality finish is there for sure .. just a little more attention to the details and fine tuning, might be useful to ask staff to do in future?

We had a stay a few days later and WERE given a very nice room that time. The lounge area we did get to by closing time and is very nice and was very deserted. Hence being more annoyed at Day 31 treatment

Then another stay 3 days after that, and got same room as stay one. Inconsistent. Even spoke to duty Manager on that, who did not budge.

Very sad.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ozstamps
Christiane K, Executive Office at Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear ozstamps,

Thank you very much for posting a review about your recent stays at our hotel on Tripadvisor in addition to your e-mail sent to us on 3rd August 2012.

As stated in our e-mail reply to you in August 2012, we are truly sorry that you experienced difficulties finding your way to the hotel, and the elevators, from the airport. Luggage carts are available at the airport upon arrival.

Due to the hotel’s (convenient) location and sound-proofing of the building, as well as due to environmental and safety considerations, the guestroom windows can indeed not be opened. Balconies, or outside terraces, are not available for these reasons.

Ozstamps, please be assured that the satisfaction of our guests is of utmost importance to us, therefore I would like to apologize that you did not feel valued during your stay. I can assure you that comments like these are very rare exceptions at our hotel indeed.

We truly appreciate your comments on the Executive Lounge opening times and the layout of our guestrooms. We apologize for the technical challenges you indicated, these have been addressed immediately after receiving your e-mail in August.

Ozstamps, thank you once again for sharing your comments once more, we are looking forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip.

Christiane K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

I chose this hotel due location. First I was to overnight at Hilton Garden Inn, next to this Hilton Airport, but they did not have Double rooms available. I do not know difference between them, nor did a friend who stayed at Garden Inn and visited our room.
Hotel is reachable on foot from Terminal 1, where e.g. Lufthansa and Star Alliance operate. It is convenient that you can walk inside all the way and you are not at mercy of shuttles, which tend to leave front of you.
Both Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn are located at The Squaire, which is on top of long distance train station at Frankfurt airport. By the way, nice way to tour Europe, is by train!
By the arrival, you have to choose whether to enter Garden (left) or Hilton. Check-in process was efficient and uneventful normal hotel check-in.
According new security standards, only hotel guests with room key can operate elevator, which is nice, you don't need to worry about unauthorized people wondering around. Our room was located on the 7th floor and had a view to highway and further towards airport. Weather permitting you can watch planes landing, specially at evening looks cool with landing lights on.
Room was clean with normal amenities, tea, coffee, soap, shampoo etc. Nice touch at the bathroom was a scale. Otherwise very standard, but high quality room. I also underline, extremely quiet room.
We skpped recommended Hilton "Rise" restaurant and "The Fifth" Lounge & Bar and headed to a German style restaurant at Squaire, which has several restaurants and supermarket. Bar is nice for a night cap.
For those, who arrive from east and therefore wake up early, the fitness center is open 24/7, best way to start day. Our day started with cold shower, for some unknown reason hot water was turned off during the night. We did not report it before check-out as no use to fix it after a shower... The receptionist was not well prepared to take such feedback.
To summarize the hotel experience: Very good, quiet new hotel and very nicely located!

Room Tip: Room view towards airport.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank mWrite
Christiane K, Executive Office at Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear mWrite,
Many thanks for your detailed review on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your excellent remarks on location, rooms and our fitness center!
The concepts of the brands Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn differentiate mainly in terms of services offered. While the Hilton hotel offers a so called “full service” concept, the Hilton Garden Inn is a “focused service” hotel, where you will not find the same range of services, but which still offers a high quality stay as you are probably used to from our different brands around the world.
Thank you also for addressing the shower issue upon check-out, I am sorry that you felt our team member did not react appropriately to your concern.
Apart from the rooms offering Airport view, and I fully agree on the exciting view of landing planes, the rooms on the other side look into Frankfurt’s large city forest. Travelling by train is indeed a very nice way of exploring Europe and there are around 185 ICE trains a day arriving and connecting to major German and European cities at the train station underneath the hotels.
Although I am sure you had a nice dinner in The Squaire, I can nevertheless recommend trying out our restaurant RISE during your next stay, you will also find great dishes with local touches on the menu.
Once again thanks a lot for your nice review!
Best wishes,
Christiane K
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Clean modern hotel which is excellent for business meetings as you can exit the airport and cross over to the hotel. Very modern design and modern clean rooms. A little confusing entrance since the Hilton Garden Inn is right beside but is separate. Not convenient if you need to go downtown or want to be a tourist

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
FRAAPGM, General Manager at Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear travelandtravail,
Thank you so much for the positive review of your recent stay at the Hilton Frankfurt Airport.
I am very happy to see that you were in general satisfied with your stay and the hotel itself. Both hotels, the Hilton Frankfurt Airport and the Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport, are indeed located directly next to each other in THE SQUAIRE East. Although you can walk from the airport to the hotel without ever having to leave the building, the hotel is also quite conveniently located vis-a-vis the city of Frankfurt. The airport’s local train station is within a few-minutes-walk and also by car it takes only 15 minutes to reach downtown Frankfurt.
Travelandtravail, I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Frankfurt Airport soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Superb fairly new property set in a shopping/business/conference centre on the airport site. There is easy access to all transit connections from here, just a simple ride down the escalators.

You do have to access it using the airport bus services but once you are in through the door and checked-in it is an absolutely superb experience.

We were upgraded to a junior suite which was gorgeous so I cannot comment on the standard rooms. Our suite came with every gadget you could want and plenty of floor space. The property is well insulated from airport noise and also (top marks) room to room and room to corridor.

Dining is a pleasant experience with a wide range of choices and a good kitchen team. Prices are not too outrageous given the class of property. Serving staff are all pleasant and professional with a wide range of language skills and good local knowledge.

I could not think of a better way to start or finish a journey. A top quality experience, one of the best in a long time ..!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear tromsopete,
“A top quality experience, one of the best in a long time ..!” Wow, thanks a lot for these outstanding comments on Tripadvisor! Great to see that you had such a pleasant time at our hotel and that we could delight you with the upgrade to one of our suites. I am especially grateful for your nice comments on our kitchen and service staff, which I have shared with the team!
I understand from your remarks that you landed at Terminal 2. In addition to the complimentary bus service you can also take the "Sky train" to Terminal 1, from where it is just a short walk to the hotel. You never even have to go outside!
As you stated correctly, also the high speed train station is located just underneath the hotel building.
Being in the fortunate situation of having such a new hotel, we are able to provide our guests with the latest sound-proofing technologies, which is certainly of utmost importance, considering the great location of our hotel.
I truly hope we can welcome you back soon, to also make the start, or end of your next journey a most enjoyable one!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

During a conference in Germany, I stayed at the Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel. It was located in the complex where the conference was held. For me, to be able to do get around, without having to navigate throughout the city, was ideal. The accommodations were excellent; the food in the restaurants was fantastic.

Room Tip: There is no bad room. If you request a room near an elevator or escalator, you will not be bothered...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Bob Y,
Thank you for sharing your positive comments about your recent stay at Hilton Frankfurt Airport with the Tripadvisor community.
I agree that especially for a conference guest like you, the easy access is of great importance. Moreover I am very happy that we were able to thrill you with our guestrooms and culinary offer, thanks a lot for your great remarks!
Bob Y, we certainly look forward to say” welcome back” soon!
All the best,
Europe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

This Hilton was voted "Best International Airport Hotel" in 2012. And rightly it received several international awards.
Location is very convenient, just on top of the Frankfurt airport railway station (only 2 escalators up and you are in the hotel). Covered walkway to Frankfurt aiport and to the MRT with easy access to the city.
Hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very nice decorated with latest technology. Only 2 little drawbacks in the room: no power outlet beside the bed and you cannot connect your computer or ipad with the flatscreen TV.
If you are noise sensitive you will love this hotel: although close to the aiport and with the highway outisde you hear absolutely nothing! Incredible, but there is no noise coming from outside. Really perfect windows (which of course cannot be opened).
Executive lounge is never crowdy and food is very good. I can really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The hotel is located in the SQUARE, a futuristic building neextt to the aiport. In the SQUARE you fi...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen D
Dear Stephen D,
What could I reply to your outstanding review of Hilton Frankfurt Airport apart from a big "Thank You so much" for your kind words!
I agree that one of the many advantages of our hotel is the quietness of our rooms, thanks to the latest in sound-proofing which allows our guests to see the planes passing by rather close, but not hear them – often described to us as a surreal experience.
Thank you for also mentioning the great benefits of our Executive Lounge. Being located on the 10th floor this area provides all important factors for our guests who desire a bit more privacy and comfort.
Stephen D, it’s wonderful to see that the Hilton Frankfurt Airport appeals so much to a frequent traveler like you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to Hilton Frankfurt Airport!
eastcoast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip for 5 days. The rooms are very clean, and small but decent in size. Everything was new. You can take the train to the main digs in the city, so you're very well connected to all the city activities. You're at the airport, so you don't need to worry about missing your flight back :) and the airport is a place to explore in itself. The hotel is in a shopping plaza but mostly restaurants. All I can say is even though this hotel isn't in the city itself, it is very well connected. Trains are safe. I would stay here again. Oh, and it's in the middle of the highway, so you have no nice view, but zooming cars. Nicely sound-proofed, though, so don't worry about noise.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank travlr24Eastcoast
Dear travlr24Eastcoast
Many thanks for your great review on Tripadvisor. Having opened the hotel in December 2011, our facilities are indeed new and the entire hotel is fully sound-proofed. I agree that the connection to the city center is very convenient whereas the airport with its many shops and facilities is worth to be explored as well. In terms of the guestroom views we also offer rooms with view to the city forest. Just ask our reception team when staying with us next time, we are always happy to provide our guests with their preferred rooms, if availability allows.
travlr24Eastcoast, once again thanks a lot for your comments, I hope we can welcome you back to Hilton Frankfurt Airport soon.
All the best,
Ch. Muller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfurt
Steigenberger Airport Hotel
#26 of 268 in Frankfurt
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,962 reviews
NH Frankfurt Airport
#1 of 8 in Kelsterbach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,331 reviews
Altstadt
Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof

Been to Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!