“Great find!”

Lam Freres
Ranked #239 of 2,455 Restaurants in Frankfurt
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Bahnhofsviertel
Heidelberg
“Great find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

A friend of mine saw this place last time she was in Frankfurt and it was packed, so we decided to try it out last night (we went to the theatre which was nearby). Although a small place, the staff were very friendly, the place was really clean, and the food was really good! I've had good Vietnamese food, and this rates up near the top. The price was good too. It's definitely a place to return to.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank TBoner1

London, United Kingdom
“The best Vietnam food in Frankfurt? I hope not...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Having read in a local magazine that this was rated as the best Vietnam food in Frankfurt, I decided to give it a try. I gathered a small group of my friends, made a reservation for lunch and we tried it. My friends all liked it (they had never had Vietnamese food before), but for me (I've enjoyed Vietnamese food in Vietnam, from Vietnamese friends and in other fabulous Vietnamese restaurants throughout the world) it was okay, nothing special.

If you have never had Vietnamese food and want to try it, then this might be a good start. The staff are very friendly, attentive and nice. The place isn't too big so if you are going with a big group, especially during lunch, you should reserve a table. If you are going in pairs, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a table or share a table with another pair.

We had the handrolled spring rolls that the menu identified as their house specialty. The platter was filled with an assortment of meats (shrimp, beef, pork), rice noodles, and herbs. The flavors of the meat were average as was the selection of herbs. It just wasn't a "Wow" platter that one would expect if it was indeed the restaurant's signature dish. We also tried the rice noodles with sliced up eggrolls and grilled pork. The flavors for this dish were better but it still didn't wow me. It was average but nothing that would make me pick this place as the best of Frankfurt. I would probably go back if I was stuck near the Bahnhof area and needed a quick meal. I like the staff because they are friendly. The restaurant is in an ideal location, midway between the bahnhof and the Opera house. But if this really is the best that Frankfurt has to offer in terms of Vietnamese cuisine, then I beg to disagree and I will just have to travel elsewhere to get my fix of really good Vietnamese food.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank 2travelandeat
Frankfurt, Germany
“Nice vietnamese retaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

Extremely friendly and fast service even the restaurant was full. The food was nice, we had Dim Sum as a starter (ok, already had better ones, even in Frankfurt) and crispy duck with noodles (very good). Definitely a place to return.

• Visited March 2013
Brooklyn, New York
“Very good Vietnamese food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

During our trip to Europe, we made a quick stop in Frankfurt on the way to our flight.

We had first eaten Vietnamese in Paris and found near the railway station, the Lam Freres. It is always a good sign when many Asian guests at such a restaurant looks (this means that it is often traditional, good food there is).

As in Paris, we ordered as an appetizer banh cuon and for the main course Bun Bo Hue. Everything was very tasty, but not quite the level of the Parisian Vietnamese restaurant.

But it is highly recommended here!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Matthew B
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Not really...there's better in FRA”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Business trip to FRA for three days.

As you can see from my reviews, Vietnamese restaurants are a bit of a hobby for me....SF, NYC, Lausanne, HKG...and having spent time in SGN, Hue and Hoi An, I'd say I have a good baseline to compare.

So if we are comparing to the usual heavy and greasy fare available in a town like Frankfrut- this place is ok....

But if we are talking about comparing this place to other Vietnamese establishments elsewhere in FRA or the world- this place is pretty average.

What I liked-
The location close my hotel
The decor of the restaurant - pleasant
The staff- they were nice enough

Where I think they missed
The summer rolls- well built but without flavor and most importantly, using defrosted and tasteless shrimps...seriously....really bland...I realize summer rolls are subtle in flavor but this is just weak.
The Pho (the national dish of VN and normally served for breakfast)...pretty good....though the Thai hot sauce killed it for me as did the fact that the meatballs where completely overcooked and could have been used as mini canon balls.

Finally, they accept cards- as long as it's a German card....Really?

Having been once before to FRA and having discovered Quan Van last time, I'd say head there...more choice on the menu and better food- even if you have to go further from the train station area.

• Visited November 2012