“Big hotel”

Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt
Ranked #46 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is a big hotel, I think it is being renamed to Leonardo soon. It is dated, a good €20+ to the Messe (Exhibition Center) albeit the hotel offers a shuttle bus at 0830 in the morning for €5. Yes, a little bit out of the way.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
LeonardoRoyalHotel, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us. The team were delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

kind regards

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The hotel was booked for us and we stayed as guests of one of our suppliers, so this review is based on that it actually didn't cost us anything to stay here.
The hotel is dating probably from the 1960s and is a large hotel with approx 20 floors. I was on the 4th floor in a room which was clean and pleasant but has a very dated bathroom and fittings.
The room was very hot, and I had to put the aircon on to cool it down. Not sure why the rooms have to be so hot, it makes it difficult to sleep!
The breakfast was good, there's an excellent choice and the staff are friendly.
It's way out of the way for the Messe though. There's one bus at 8.30 for 5 euros, or you can walk the 20mins to the Lokalbahnhof and get the SBahn to the Messe. It takes approx 30mins to get to the Messe this way.
I think all the hotel needs is a bit of a makeover!

Room Tip: See if there are any refurbished rooms,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear RHarfield,

we are sorry to hear your experience was not as you had hoped. We are in the process of having the our rooms renovated and will have them completed in 2014.

We hope you will give us the chance to show you our new Rooms in the end of year.

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Coming back to the hotel at 11:30 pm on a Saturday evening, I was surprised to see a big crowd waiting in the lobby. I managed to work my way towards the big elevators when I was confronted by a bouncer looking man who rudely informed that the elevators were not available. Soon i realized why, from my room in the 22 floor I begun hearing the thumbing base vibrations of a party on the 25th floor. The noise continue until about 5:00 am the next morning. Later on I heard that guest as far as the 17th floor were also sleepless in Frankfurt.
It would have been nice to be notified in advance of the upcoming party as well as the fact that only the small elevators facing the front desk area were available for hotel guests. But the most important thing was to turn the music down.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the lower floors if staying during a Friday or Saturday to avoid the noise from th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ErwinOrtiz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear ErwinOrtiz,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the ambient noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I don't seem to be having much luck with hotels in Germany over the past year or so as you will see from some of my other reviews of hotels in Berlin and Frankfurt. This really should be a good hotel, but it doesn't work! To be fair, the reception staff on arrival were friendly and helpful, but they didn't have a room ready for me ( fair enough it was only 10.00am) so I had to wait until I came back from the Trade Fair in the evening. Again, very friendly staff at check in and I went to my room with a promises of free internet, so far so good. The room was ok, but the bathroom was tiny for this level of hotel. Within minutes I was given my free internet password, which was great except there was no wifi reception in my room. I was eating out that evening so hoped there might be reception when I returned, but there wasn't. The next morning I had a shower, but the water wouldn't drain away. This is a basic issue which the cleaning staff should have spotted! When I complained at reception they clearly knew about the wifi issue - i.e. the network routers don't feed my room, so they offered to change my room that evening - a bit drastic and also inconvenient, but fair enough. However, after dinner that evening I faced a new problem - a big, burly bouncer stopping asking me were I was going, when I told him that I was going to the lifts to my room I was informed that I couldn't do that as they were reserved for a private party! What? I'm a paying guest, but private parties take precedence? It got much, much worse! The private party played the kind of very loud bass driven disco music which is guaranteed to keep residents from sleeping - and it did, until 4.10am!!! Oh.. one more thing, the hotel had a shuttle to the Fair each morning at 8.30am but charged 5 Euro's and was over- subscribed so people were packed in like sardines - dangerous to say the least! And there was no returns service, so better to not have bothered offering a service in my view! All in all, a disastrous experience. I will not return!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear James L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We’re sorry you were unhappy with the noise levels in your room. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you again for your

Connie D

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I am presently writing this from my room which is supposed to be an executive room. Beware while you shower, the water flows out very slowly and soon you will realize that the tub is filling up with water. Furthermore, it's Saturday night, and my husband and I came back from dinner to find the lobby filled with young adults and rude "Big", "Mean" looking bouncers. As I head towards the lift that I normally take to our room, one of the bouncers rudely stops me and commands me to take another lift. I did not travel half across the world to come and get this kind of treatment. Why did not the management of the hotel put up signs informing hotel guest of that particular section of the hotel being close for a private function? It's now 12.44am on Sunday morning and I can hear loud pounding music coming from that particular function. We are in Frankfrut to attend a Trade Fair. What we needed was nice quiet place and this was not it. Our room is on the 17th floor.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mubina Ravinder A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Mubina Ravinder A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise from the other guests prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn South in Frankfurt, Germany. The water in the bathtub go down very slowly. We found 2 bugs crawling in the bathroom. The curtain has blood or coffee stain. See attached. No free wifi. 5 Euro for 1 hour, 14 euro for whole night. The location is not in the center, but very close to the airport. Only about 10~15 or 20 minutes max to the airport. That is a good part. Elevators are confusing. Stops at 9th floor and need to take 1 floor up by stairs to 10th floor. I've been staying in Holiday Inn most of my stays in the USA. This is the first US abroad site I've stayed, I may not stay next time, but rather stay with other European chain hotels instead. Also very noisy. Heard siren few times throughout the night. Breakfast was ok, I had better ones in the European chain hotels.

Room Tip: Do not pick lower floors. Very noisy!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank happyglobaltraveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear happyglobaltraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the cleanliness of the room have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A

Reviewed 29 January 2014

friendly stuff in hotel,tasty breakfast but sometimes too many people on it.
standard rooms are quite big, clear and with good wiew from balcony and will be good enought for family with one child.
minus - no kids menu

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Tata_2202,

thank you for talking the time to review our Hotel on Tripadvisor.

The team and I were delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards