“Better than expected”

Ranked #44 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Having read some rather negative reviews of this hotel (recently the Holiday Inn Frankfurt City Sud) I had low expectations when I arrived to run a workshop there. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was comfortable with good sized rooms: mine had a spectacular view of the city. The room was clean, everything worked and I found it very satisfactory after a long day of work. The food at the hotel was very good and the staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel is not in a central location, but there are places to eat within walking distance, including some good biergartens. The lifts can be busy entailing a bit of a wait, but this is the only negative feature I experienced.

1 Thank Carolyn T
LeonardoRoyalHotel, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Carolyn,

Thank you for staying with us! It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay! It has been a pleasure welcoming you to our hotel, and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back next time!

warmest regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Erlangen, Germany
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed there for one night with my family - wife and 2 kids. It's not really in the center but there is a Bus stop right outside the Hotel which takes you to the shopping center in about 12 minutes or so. For going to main railway station you have to change once to take the underground.
We were very pleased with our stay. Check in was smooth and staff was very friendly. Room was spacious (1102 on 11th floor) with 2 queen beds, recliner, flat screen tv, coffee maker as well as mini bar (it was not stocked but we didn't need it anyway). It was absolutely clean as you expect from a holiday inn property.
Breakfast was fantastic. We prefer Holiday inn due to its family friendly policies of kids stay and eat free.
It is predominantly a business hotel but we enjoyed it as family too.
The only reason for taking one star away is that in the bath tub the water drained slowly. The bathroom was otherwise very clean. I read many reviews with similar complaint, so the hotel management should quickly address this problem.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
LeonardoRoyalHotel, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear StopNot,

We are delighted you took the time to post your very nice comments on your previous stay with us.

We are very pleased that our hotel is your chosen hotel when visiting frankfurt and hope to welcome you back again very soon

Best regards
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This is a big hotel, I think it is being renamed to Leonardo soon. It is dated, a good €20+ to the Messe (Exhibition Center) albeit the hotel offers a shuttle bus at 0830 in the morning for €5. Yes, a little bit out of the way.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us. The team were delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

kind regards
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The hotel was booked for us and we stayed as guests of one of our suppliers, so this review is based on that it actually didn't cost us anything to stay here.
The hotel is dating probably from the 1960s and is a large hotel with approx 20 floors. I was on the 4th floor in a room which was clean and pleasant but has a very dated bathroom and fittings.
The room was very hot, and I had to put the aircon on to cool it down. Not sure why the rooms have to be so hot, it makes it difficult to sleep!
The breakfast was good, there's an excellent choice and the staff are friendly.
It's way out of the way for the Messe though. There's one bus at 8.30 for 5 euros, or you can walk the 20mins to the Lokalbahnhof and get the SBahn to the Messe. It takes approx 30mins to get to the Messe this way.
I think all the hotel needs is a bit of a makeover!

Room Tip: See if there are any refurbished rooms,
Dear RHarfield,

we are sorry to hear your experience was not as you had hoped. We are in the process of having the our rooms renovated and will have them completed in 2014.

We hope you will give us the chance to show you our new Rooms in the end of year.

Best regards,
Japan
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Coming back to the hotel at 11:30 pm on a Saturday evening, I was surprised to see a big crowd waiting in the lobby. I managed to work my way towards the big elevators when I was confronted by a bouncer looking man who rudely informed that the elevators were not available. Soon i realized why, from my room in the 22 floor I begun hearing the thumbing base vibrations of a party on the 25th floor. The noise continue until about 5:00 am the next morning. Later on I heard that guest as far as the 17th floor were also sleepless in Frankfurt.
It would have been nice to be notified in advance of the upcoming party as well as the fact that only the small elevators facing the front desk area were available for hotel guests. But the most important thing was to turn the music down.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the lower floors if staying during a Friday or Saturday to avoid the noise from th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ErwinOrtiz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear ErwinOrtiz,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the ambient noise levels prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I don't seem to be having much luck with hotels in Germany over the past year or so as you will see from some of my other reviews of hotels in Berlin and Frankfurt. This really should be a good hotel, but it doesn't work! To be fair, the reception staff on arrival were friendly and helpful, but they didn't have a room ready for me ( fair enough it was only 10.00am) so I had to wait until I came back from the Trade Fair in the evening. Again, very friendly staff at check in and I went to my room with a promises of free internet, so far so good. The room was ok, but the bathroom was tiny for this level of hotel. Within minutes I was given my free internet password, which was great except there was no wifi reception in my room. I was eating out that evening so hoped there might be reception when I returned, but there wasn't. The next morning I had a shower, but the water wouldn't drain away. This is a basic issue which the cleaning staff should have spotted! When I complained at reception they clearly knew about the wifi issue - i.e. the network routers don't feed my room, so they offered to change my room that evening - a bit drastic and also inconvenient, but fair enough. However, after dinner that evening I faced a new problem - a big, burly bouncer stopping asking me were I was going, when I told him that I was going to the lifts to my room I was informed that I couldn't do that as they were reserved for a private party! What? I'm a paying guest, but private parties take precedence? It got much, much worse! The private party played the kind of very loud bass driven disco music which is guaranteed to keep residents from sleeping - and it did, until 4.10am!!! Oh.. one more thing, the hotel had a shuttle to the Fair each morning at 8.30am but charged 5 Euro's and was over- subscribed so people were packed in like sardines - dangerous to say the least! And there was no returns service, so better to not have bothered offering a service in my view! All in all, a disastrous experience. I will not return!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James L
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear James L,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We’re sorry you were unhappy with the noise levels in your room. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you again for your

Connie D
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Frankfurt hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I am presently writing this from my room which is supposed to be an executive room. Beware while you shower, the water flows out very slowly and soon you will realize that the tub is filling up with water. Furthermore, it's Saturday night, and my husband and I came back from dinner to find the lobby filled with young adults and rude "Big", "Mean" looking bouncers. As I head towards the lift that I normally take to our room, one of the bouncers rudely stops me and commands me to take another lift. I did not travel half across the world to come and get this kind of treatment. Why did not the management of the hotel put up signs informing hotel guest of that particular section of the hotel being close for a private function? It's now 12.44am on Sunday morning and I can hear loud pounding music coming from that particular function. We are in Frankfrut to attend a Trade Fair. What we needed was nice quiet place and this was not it. Our room is on the 17th floor.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mubina Ravinder A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Mubina Ravinder A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the noise from the other guests prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D