“Reasonable hotel - slightly out of the way.”

Leonardo Royal Hotel Frankfurt
Ranked #45 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Having had this hotel booked for me by my employer ahead of a work trip to Frankfurt, this hotel is slightly deceptive in it's location. It's quite a distance out of the main city centre. We were working at the Messe, which was a good 20 or so minute cab ride from the hotel.

The hotel itself is what you may expect from a Holiday Inn. It's clean and pleasant enough, with good sized public areas on the ground floor and a reasonable sized bar area.

My room was not ready at check-in (despite arriving at 5.00pm). I requested a smoking room, but took a non smoking room due to it being ready there and then. My colleagues who travelled with me are non smokers and were allocated smoking rooms. I made the mistake of suggesting that I take the smoking room and they take the non smoking room (as we all wished) but this confused the poor man at reception who called for the reception manager - due to our time contraints, we didn't pursue this and took whatever was available. Whilst their English is ok (my German is poor so I can't complain!) - our simple request seemed to fox them a little - so bear this in mind if you're going to ask anything!

The hotel is very tall and if you're unfortunate enough to get a room high up, then be prepared to wait to get a lift. I was on the 10th floor (about half way up) and waited seemingly ages to catch a lift up and down again in the morning for breakfast. They are very small! Chances are that when a lift does come, it will be full (especially if there's a major event in town) - hence waiting for the next one - possibly full again! It took me ages to find a staircase, as these are not well signposted.

The room itself was comfortable, with a good sized double bed (which again was comfortable). The air con in the room worked well and there was the usual selection of ammenities in the room. The bathroom was well equipped, the shower worked well - although mine was prone to temperature changes in the morning (due to heavy use in the hotel I guess?).

Breakfast was good - however the breakfast hall was very busy during my stay - leading to a good look around for a table, as these were not allocated to you on arrival - it was more of a find yourself a table style. Service was slow in offering toast and tea / coffee - but the main buffet was good with a nice selection of both hot and cold foods.

Service in the hotel is a mixed bag. Some of the staff are great, some are not. There was a long wait to check out on our final day - as service is not swift.

In general, it's a good hotel for the money. However, it's a long way out of the centre if you're planning on spending time out and about. It certainly needs better lifts to move you around the building - so leave plenty of time if you're on a schedule. Service is of an average standard - so don't expect too much and you'll be ok.

It's a functional hotel if you're on business, as most of the facilities you would need are provided - however if I was a tourist in the area, I would want to be more centrally located and would want more space in the hotel to relax, it's a pretty busy place.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 May 2009

We stayed in this hotel on the first & last nights of our 12 day Eastern Europe tour. The front desk service was better on the first night than the last.
Our room on the first night was smaller but it was in better shape. The room on the second night was huge but in need of updating. Both were clean.
There was a business cocktail party at the lobby when our tour came in. The business group about 100 people or so all decided to go to the second floor for dinner at the same time as our group. The hotel staff refused to let our group (with luggage) to go on the regular elevators. We had to use the service elevator. Later that evening, I went up to the front desk and asked a question, the clerk at the front desk just barked at me. Very rude.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Stayed in this hotel on business in May 2009. South of City Centre across river in a suburb. Not really a practical walk to city centre and uphill. Although carrying the new Holiday Inn branding, the hotel seemed a bit tired. Worst feature, the lifts in the hotel tower. Perhaps some of the worst lifts (elevators) in any hotel I have stayed in recently. There were three lifts but two worked on one button and the third, but adjacent lift on a separate button. Respons times were really slow, I factored in at least 10 mins to get to my room on the 14th floor and back.

Restaurant okay, but used it only once. Breakfast was reasonable but no hot oatmeal (porridge) even though the healthy eating guide on the table by Holiday Inn recommended it. All self-service in a rather crowded and somewhat cramped room.

Room was fine but with a scrappy mixture of TV channels although for Brits, BBC1 was available. No free Internet Access and pricing an outrageous amount per day - not like US Holiday Inns. When I have a choice, I never stay at hotels which charge for internet access and would not choose to stay here if I was booking myself.

Overall, I bit of a tired hotel. €16 a day to park too but parking is fairly accessible. Conference facilities were fine and there is a business centre adjacent.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2008

We stayed overnight at this hotel at the beginning of an Archer's Eastern European tour. The rooms were clean and spacious with large, comfortable beds and there were tv channels in English. The bathroom was also clean and modern. The hotel was within walking distance of a bus stop into Frankfurt city centre and about half a mile away from bars and restaurants. The breakfast was good with a varied choice of hot and cold dishes. The bar at the hotel was nicely decorated in a traditional German style but was a bit pricey. Overall, I wouldn't stay at this hotel if it was for a long stay whilst visiting Frankfurt but for a short term stay it was fine.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 16 April 2008

We'd left it too late to book anything nice in Frankfurt, so admitedly it was with reluctance that we went to the Holiday Inn.

The hotel is located in the south of the city, but only a short taxi ride to the centre. There is a car park underneath the hotel which is €16 for an overnight stay.

The staff at check-in where quite curt, although not rude. Certainly not friendly. Our room was fairly small, but had a long thin balcony around it, which, on the 18th floor gave fantastic views of the city.

The bathroom was small too, and we could only just get the tap for the shower to work. The bedroom was too noisy with the aircon, but too hot without. And that is in April!

Around 8-9am the reception is filled with people on their way out to their conferences and exhibitions and is not a great time to check out, or even cross the room. The feel of it just wasn't what we wanted and we went out for breakfast instead, and checked out later.

I am sure it's fine for a business trip, but not for me!

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 19 March 2008

My wife booked this Holiday Inn for a business strip.

The one basic service that any hotel shoudl provide an whjich is being paid for us: TO FACILITATE A GOOD NIGHT REST.

This Holiday Inn was not able to provide that basic service. Their qualification of being a 'hotel' is simply false advertising.

The beds are all hard as rocks, so a decent sleep is not possible. When one asks the staff to fix this they say they cannot, beyond placing a few extra blankets (dumb idea!).

Additionally they require you to pay $22 EUROS PER DAY extra for an Internet connection which would be free in many hotets.

This Holiday Inn also misspelled our name severely, which caused the Internet connection to be inaccessible initially.

By the way, what ugly room interiors.

Finally, I would not recommend this to anyone looking to visit interesting sites in the city. The place is totally in the middle of nowhere. No metro nearby.

The taxi stop is not near the hotel, but requires a lot of walking and crossing a main street to get at.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dedhamfoodie
Reviewed 26 June 2007

This was my 4th or 5th stay here and it won't be my last. Received a complimentary upgrade and ended up on the 15th floor which gave fantastic views to the south. The room was spacious and clean and very quiet. All the staff spoke excellent English and were very helpful. The hotel is to the south of Frankfurt but don't let that put you off.

Opposite the hotel is a bus stop with a regular service, I have never
waited more than 10 mins for a bus. A Frankfurt all day ticket cost just over 5 euros, about £3.00, and gives you access to buses,trains and trams.

There are a handful of restaurants within walking distance. Within two or three stops on the bus(less than 5 mins) there are plenty of cafes and bars. In about 10 mins you find yourself at Konstablerwache, with it's train station and connections to all over Frankfurt.

With some cracking weekend deals this makes an excellent base to explore Frankfurt.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo