“Get Away from here”

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Positive points

spacious rooms
good shower
Housekeeping was so kind person

Negative points

Superior room is similar to standard room except that it is more expensive
Staff apparently polite but they know nothing about tourism in Frankfurt and their treatment of guests is inpersonal
Far away from the city
Your choice: view to the cemitery or rail way
Naked fat old man in swinng pool was common event - protect your family and dont go to spa area

Room Tip: The cemitery side is better than rail away side
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 November 2012

During the Frankfurt Bookfare mid October this year, I decided to stay once again at the NOVOTEL in Frankfurt Niederrad, and didn't regret it. It's very close to the Airport, what is a "Plus", and our group had arranged for a Shuttle to the Messe each day, what also came very handy. If you don't have such setup, it is easy to walk to the S-Bahn, and take the train to the Bookfare.
In comparison to my previous visit, nothing much has changed. The Hotel still charges a hefty fee for internet access, but it seems, that almost all Hotels in Germany do this still (?). They gave the Bar an uplift, what was nice to see. The Morning Breakfast Buffet had improved a bit as far as food quality is concerned. Food items were added, and it was quite delicious !
This time around, I explored the surrounding, and located several nice Restaurants in walking distance from the Hotel. A very good Italian, and Asian, Pizza and traditional German. It's all located 2-3 blocks away. Go out of the Hotel, turn LEFT, go right at the next intersection, and you will see the Complex at your left hand side after a 3 to 4 minutes walk. Cross the street and you're there. Well worth it the walk.
The rooms remain nice and clean, and even the Single Standard ones are big enough. Sometimes German Single bed romms can be quite "crampy", but not in this Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which faces the front of the Hotel. The S-Bahn train passes by behind the Hotel, and...
1 Thank J.GU.
Zaventem, Belgium
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I booked a room in this hotel after our summer holiday, to extend our stay after our week of vacation. We got a lovely room, with a seperate bedroom for the kids. Upon arrival kids received some taoys and candy from reception.
I'll be coming back to this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
All over the shop
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 5 days. Room fine. Bed too hard. Bathroom fine. Shower over bathtub. Very good water pressure. Lots of very hot water. I had two single beds in my room (which couldn't be pushed together because of the fixed headboard furniture), although I believe I booked a double room. Wasn't a problem as I was travelling alone, but I did feel a bit like a kid again, sleeping in a single bed.

Breakfast was a good spread. Beware though, they lead you astray when it comes to breakfast, possibly deliberately. When I checked in I asked whether my rate included breakfast, and I was told it did. When I checked out they charged me 19 euros per day for breakfast. And they weren't interested in listening to my pleas that I had been informed breakfast was included in my rate. This incident put a dampener on the whole stay, and is the reason for 1 mark off in my rating of the hotel.

The reason for the second mark off in my rating of the hotel is the fact that WiFi internet access is not free. Something that in this day and age should be free. I did pay for WiFi one day, and the connection speed was fine. I believe the WiFi cost 9 euros for 24 hours.

My room rate varied from 81 euros to 135 euros per night. I would consider 81 euros as good value for this hotel. 135 euros is getting a bit steep.

Couldn't get the air conditioning working to cool the room down. This was in October, so maybe they had disabled air conditioning for the winter. The heating worked fine.

The hotel backs on to a train line, and if you get one of the rooms on the back of the hotel (as I did), you will certainly hear the trains. However they were not loud enough to disturb my sleep. I guess it will depend how lightly you sleep.

Food in the hotel restaurant was fine. A little pricey. There are three small supermarkets nearby (Aldi, Lidl and Rewe) within easy walking distance. Only Rewe accepted credit cards (I think the others would have accepted debit cards). Rewe also has a salad bar and a pasta bar which worked well for me.

The room had a small fridge in it, and it wasn't one of those silly automatic ones that charges you every time you move something. So you can buy your own water/juice/wine/beer and use the fridge to keep it cool.

There are a few English channels on the TV. Mainly news channels.

The hotel doesn't bring you an iron and ironing board, but has an ironing room, with a couple of good steam irons and ironing boards. No running water for the steam irons in the ironing room however, so you have to come equipped with your own bottle of water from your room. One iron had the usual sticky stuff burnt onto the bottom of it, which almost all hotel irons seem to have. But the other iron was free of contamination.

Pool and sauna in the basement is a nice plus to this hotel. You are however likely to find naked fat men in the area, so set your expectations accordingly. Probably the done thing in the local culture.

1 Thank OnATikiTour
Sunnyvale, California, USA
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Was at Frankfurt Book Fair and all in town center hotels were booked or too expensive. This Novotel is close to an S-Bahn, one stop away from the HauptBahnhof, and is really easy to radiate from. Recommend, even if price is steep during fair.

Stockport, UK
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I previously reviewed this hotel as 2*, mainly because I was (justifiably IMHO) annoyed at their policy of applying DCC (dynamic currency conversion) to credit card settlements in foreign currencies without asking permission. Despite that I went on stay here many times as it is only 100m from the company I have been visiting regularly in the Niederrad area of Frankfurt.

Suffice to say they have not pulled the DCC stunt on me again (they have asked, which i don't object to) and I am happy to redress the balance with a more favourable review of what has quickly become my favourite place to stay in Frankfurt.

I stay in Accor hotels often as I think they generally offer a good balance between quality and cost. Their loyalty points system is generous and they are almost always very friendly places to stay. This Novotel is one of the best. The staff are universally friendly and always recognise me as a regular.

The restaurant has improved immensely in the year or so I have been visting here. At least dinner here is now a real pleasure. Breakfast however remains a fairly mediocre and expensive affair with the signature Accor scrambled egg that looks and tastes like it's made from powdered egg. I'd only recommend breakfast if it's part of a package deal or somebody else is paying the bill. Drinks, as in most hotels, are ridiculously expensive but that is so universal it isn't really a discriminator and I'm not even going to hold it against them. Surely people only buy drinks in hotel bars if they're on expenses, right?

I usually stay in an "executive" room as I think they offer good value, being that bit nicer. These rooms are always equipped with a proper bath tub which I appreciate as it's something that seems to be disappearing from many hotels these days.

The beds are comfy enough. If I was being picky I'd say they were verging on too firm but, speaking as someone who likes a very soft bed, they are acceptable.

Internet access is important too me. The wi-fi here is decent if quite expensive at 9 Euro per day (possibly cheaper in an exec room). It has the nice feature that you can can use your login details on different devices e.g. smart phone & laptop ... just can't use both at the same time. The only annoyance is that a login expires after 24 hours. If you want 5 days access you get 5 separate login details so you have to re-log in through the web portal each day with a new user name & password. Not exactly a show-stopper... but still.

I should add that this really isn't a place to stay if you want to be in the heart of Frankfurt city. A bit of a walk will get you to a tram stop but it really isn't too convenient for the city centre. If you have business in Niederrad however, it's a good place to stay and that bit closer to the airport than a a city centre hotel (~18-20 Euro taxi fare).

All-in-all probably a good 4* experience but I feel inclined to award 5* on this occasion, at least in part to counter my previous 2* review which, on reflection, was a little harsh.