“Never Again”

Mercure Hotel Kaiserhof Frankfurt City Center
Ranked #90 of 270 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I am not sure why I opted to give this hotel two stars instead of one. It does not have air conditioning and it imposes an additional charge for wifi. I failed in my due diligence. Do not make the same mistake that I made.

In order to be in the lodging business certain utilities are basic requirements: 1. You must have electricity; 2. You must have running water; and 3. You must have wifi. Charging me extra for wifi is no different than charge extra for a shower.

Air conditioning in the summer is essential. It never occurred to me to confirm that any business class hotel open during the summer months has air conditioning.

My elderly mother and I had prepaid for three nights here. It is a long story why we did that, but I suppose that I gave them two stars, because they gave my mother a room on the top floor with a little balcony overlooking Kaiserhof. But if you don't enjoy sweating while being ripped off with extra charges for essential services, you should book elsewhere.

My room on the other hand, was tiny. The shower was as tiny as you find on small boats. It was difficult for me to shower without my body turning off the water as I kept bumping the controller.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kerwin G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very convenient to the main train station - you walk straight out the main door and go about a block. As others have said, that's probably the biggest selling point for this hotel.

The lobby is quite modern and pretty. Our room was in an older and I'd say uglier style (other than the bathroom, which looked modern and was probably recently renovated). It was all clean and comfortable though. Wifi is available for a fee, and it isn't fast. (I didn't care because we got ours free as an apology for a mixup at check-in, but I would not want to pay 12 euro and then have to wait and wait while pages load.)

Our room had AC - I didn't know until reading some recent reviews that this wasn't standard; I just lucked out. Normally I wouldn't care, but our window was adjacent to the roof of another building and it would have been very easy for someone to enter if we left it open. So be sure to read your room description carefully if AC is important to you.

One last thing... Kaiserstrasse is apparently the main hang out for junkies and prostitutes in Frankfurt. (We saw plenty of the latter.) This is of course not the fault of the hotel, just a feature of the neighborhood. We did not feel at all unsafe, but then again we were back at the hotel by around 9:45 which is still light out in Germany at this time of year. You should consider that fact though while considering this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I really not suggest to stay in this hotel. The only positive thing is near the train station. The standard room of this hotel has no air conditioning. Also, no bath tube in the room, but it mentioned it has. The staff are rude and impolite. The fridge is not cold. The room is facing the back street. In the room, it is very easy to hear the noise from other room. I won't come back for this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lottel844
Reviewed 1 July 2014

More a cluster of partly converted appartments then a hotel.
Smelly room and smelly hallways, covered up with spray.
Small room, dated furniture. just barley meets the standards, should be more like a 3 star.
beds are all singles which get put together for a "double" which is not the comfort i was expecting to have paid for.
area is very central however also very shady, drug dealers, drunkards, ladies of the night and fast food are plenty. This also means noise during the night, dont expect to be able to sleep through with windows open.

On the good side, room appeared to be clean as far as i could tell in the dim lighting.

Would definitively avoid in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2014

For our two night stay we chose to book a slightly more expensive air conditioned room, and to include breakfast in the booking. The room was cool, clean and comfortable and the breakfast was first rate, more than worth the extra 20 Euro. All the staff we met were very pleasant and helpful - an overall very good experience. I would have liked some milk for my in room coffee,but that is my only, and minor, complaint.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a superior room with breakfast - it's worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014

It was my first time in Germany...and chose the Mercure Hotel city center. it is very close to the main train station..my room was very nice and I liked the street view although it can get noisy at times....bed was comfortable and clean so was the bathroom although the rooms doesn't have an AC unit and come with a standing fan. It was able to keep the room cool enough for comfort.The front desk staff although very helpful but lacks personality...breakfast is a bit expensive but many place are around the hotel to eat.....the red light district is near by but not a problem..over all I may say there again, but know that I know the city...its something to think about

Room Tip: It very hard to choose a room as your either facing the street which i liked but a bit noisy or to t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo