“Location OK, surprised by extra charges to room.”

Savoy Hotel Frankfurt
Ranked #218 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stayed there two nights in June. Everything was fine and yes the room was small and needed some repairs to the carpeting. I stayed on the top floor, the 8th floor and the room had A/C which I used and I was on the back side of the hotel, so there was not any noise from the city streets. I booked a non-refundedable rate. On my last day I went to go check out and should only pay for wifi that I used for two days, but I was told that I would have to pay 138 Euros, because I was offered a smoking room when I checked in, but I was not told that a smoking room is an extra 10 Euros a night. I also tried to explain that the room is already paid for, because it was a non-refundable rate. The man at the front desk told me that nothing has been paid. I showed him my print out from hotelbookings.com and he told me it is just a deposit. I tried to explained to him, that the 88 Euros I paid is not a deposit, it's the non-refundable rate. After he tried to call a manager, but no one was there at 6 am. I just said charge it to my credit card, I had no time because I was on my way to the airport. As soon as I got home I call my credit card company to fight all bogus charges. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Location is right near the train staiton
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 May 2011

The savoy was an ok hotel let down by location. We stayed twice and had two different rooms. The ones at the back seemed better. Breakfast was very good and staff were nice and helpful. Would not stay in this part of town again. Too many beggars, sex shops and unseedy characters around!

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Apart from the pool, this is not a 4 star hotel. Rooms are basic, average comfort but completely noisy as the hotel is located next to the station, cross roads and the tram. No air conditioning so the room is oppresive in the heat..
First night, they gave me a single room which I hadn't booked and it was like a prison cell.
Good location as it's 10 minutes to the Messe and 5 minutes to the river.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Noisy room, wall was very thin, and could clearly hear the noise from the next room.
Telephone was ringing, someone was running on the floor, and banging the doors at 3 am!
Just noisy, you must bring the ear plug.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KOB186338
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I read through the other reviews prior to booking and I can't believe how wrong they were! This is a terrible hotel and poor value for money. The worst part was the constant noice of the elevator banging away through all hours of the night - room 707! Unless you can get a room for under £100, I wouldn't bother with this hotel, unless you don't value your sleep. I'm typing this with only 3 hours sleep so forgive me for being a little disgruntled.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I stayed at the Savoy from Dec. 1-4 on a business trip with colleagues. The Hotel is very close to the main train station, which is nice. But everything else, short of the breakfast, left a lot to be desired. I had a single room, which was clean, but a bit on the tired side. Bathroom is very tiny. Anybody over 5-7 would bang their their head on the short ceiling on the shower/tub, not to mention never get under the shower head.

All of those things are minor compared to the heating situation. My window, which was allegedly closed tight, let in the bitter cold winter breeze to the point where I felt like I was practically outside. I cranked up the heat as high as possible, but it's no match to the lack of protection from the window. I notified the front desk a few times, got extra blankets, but still shivered every night during my stay. I ended up sleeping with all the blankets, my winter coat and hat, and three layers of clothing. And I was not alone, as at least 5 others said they had similar experiences of freezing during the night. May I add I am not normally a cold person, in fact, usually on the warm side.

The front desk seemed indifferent to my complaints about the cold, telling me they knew and here's another blanket.

For that kind of money, $160 EU per night, I will stay someplace else that knows how to have proper windows that can actually keep out the cold.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2010

The hotel is located in a side-street directly opposite the main railway station. It is therefore also conveniently loccated for getting to the airport, the exhibition centre and the town centre. The rooms are of a good size and are clean and modern. A good nights sleep is assured as rooms are facing away from the main roads. The hotel has a small swimming pool as well as a steam room and sauna located on the top floor with good views over the city. Breakfast is excellent, a wide choice of hot and cold buffet food. Staff are also extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business