“Convenient location, plucky but helpful staff”

Savoy Hotel Frankfurt
Ranked #216 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I liked this place. It seems to be run by hotel professionals, and not by a chain company.

First, I usually stay in the InterCity Hotel just because it's so close to the HBF, but the Savoy is just as easy, less expensive, and again, has a feel to it that just escapes the popular chain hotels. The people who work here seem really engaged with their workplace.

There was a leaky pipe in my room upon check in...and within seconds, super-polite and professional repairmen were in my room after I called the front desk. What's funny is that within minutes, they'd removed the entire toilet from the wall and were drilling loudly while I was trying to do some work and recover from a trans-continental flight. I notified the front desk again and they upgraded my simple but comfortable room to a similar one with free mini-bar. In no way extravagant, but it was comfortable and very dark for my afternoon nap. Fair enough.

Upon check-out, I mentioned this inconvenience to the Manager. He tartly replied that I was upgraded. I countered...the first room should have been out of service (which is true). He comped my internet use. Fair enough.

Another guest tried to extend his room, without paying, from 9 AM to 5 PM, and demanded it be done. This time, another manager explained clearly his two choices: he could check out now or pay for a later check-out. When he pleaded ignorance, she offered to escort him upstairs and remove his bags together. I liked her business-sense. Here was a customer who was trying to take advantage, and was turned down. I reported a minor inconvenience and received a minor courtesy.

I'll definitely stay here again. "You get what you pay for" is cliche, but here, you actually do only get what you pay for-and what you get is good service, a clean hotel, and a nice location. I'll take that over a generic chain hotel experience any day.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade...why not? The Check-in Staff seems to be able to make decisions about such thin...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 January 2013

The hotel is good because it is about a 2 min walk from the Frankfurt Main station. My train was getting in very late at night and so I picked this - it is really reasonably priced, clean overall and close by enough to walk over. Apparently the neighborhood down the street from the station is not safe at all, so this hotel is fine since it is at the start of the area that then can get dodgy. It is a mid-range hotel in other respects, but for the 8 hours that I needed a bed to sleep in before I took a train in the morning it worked fine. I probably would not pick it for a longer duration. Though once again, for the price, it is a good deal and works well.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, bargain price for a hotel we were on a very strict budget. Upgrade and you get a free minbar. We had coke, mineral waters, juice, beer. I notice comments about the curtains there is a button you press looks like a light switch near window it brings down shutters on the outside that blocks out daylight. Maybe take your own pillow. The pool is lovely. Breakfast is awesome! I did notice Frankfurt is not overwhelmed with posh hotels in the inner city. Ideal for a winter stay as close to markets and the zeil for shopping, maybe in Summer head out of the city.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank queenslandtraveller1
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Great location for train station and a short walk about ten to fifteen mins or couple of stops on the underground from the centre. Staff were friendly and hotel was cleaned but quite dated. Good value for money, but not four star quality. Surrounding area was not the greatest but did not feel unsafe.
Good connection with Frankfurt international airport, about fifteen mins and trains are quite regular.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I had a last minute trip to frankfurt and booked this, apparently the last 4 star room in Frankfurt. Or so I thought.

Whilst the service in the hotel was fine, in fact the ladies on reception were genuinely welcoming the actual hotel was less so. The lift was like something out of the land of yesteryear, it was slow, stopped on floors where there was nobody there, and took minutes to come every time called.

The free minibar sounds a bargain, but 2 bottles of zero alcohol beer, a small bottle of water and two fruit juices are hardly are actually less desirable than a usual minibar selection, even with a price tag attached.

Finally, we get on to the food. Which was terrible. After being told about the pizza being a speciality i went down to the restaurant looking forward to being blown away. Unfortunately they had run out of margarita pizzas, which as a vegetarian was an issue, the bigger issue was I had to ask how they had run out of a pizza which is by definition the base of all other pizzas. It turns out they had run out because the speciality pizzas were already made and just warmed up on site.

Location solid, staff generally very kind, rooms far too small, bathrooms more so (shockingly small) food terrible and lifts infuriating. Not somewhere I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Le Meridian is a few doors down, stay there.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2012

After reading the reviews I was pretty apprehensive before arrival. On reflection it seems a lot of people were expecting more based on the fact it's a 4* hotel. But if you're paying c. £50 a night it's not going to be the Ritz. We stayed for 2 nights, all we wanted was a clean double room where we could sleep comfortably after a day exploring Frankfurt and thats exactly what we got. We were at the rear of the hotel on the third floor, so no noise problems. I can imagine heat would be a problem in the summer but at it was snowing outside it wasn't an issue for us. The shower was a bit pathetic and the curtains or lack there of wasn't great. This isn't the place if you're looking for a romantic weekend away, but if you're looking for a cheap base from which to explore I doubt it can be easily beaten.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This hotel is located very close to central railway station, pricing is good.We had our room on the street side and you can hear the night traffic easily.If you want to sleep in peace ,choose something else.Otherwise: Breakfast had everything you need and this is a basic , good hotel,but not 4 star

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business