“Tired”

Ranked #33 of 268 Hotels in Frankfurt
London
“Tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

The Intercontinental Frankfurt is located right in the middle of the financial district which makes it very easy to do business from there. It is also only a ten minute taxi ride to the Messe which means that it is great for attending trade shows as well. Take a walk on the river at night - it is lovely!!

The hotel is looking its age. The lobby is a bit cramped and dated. The bar is generally busy at night but overprice to say the least.

Staff are friendly, speak English and are very professional and helpful.

The rooms are dated. All done in yellow without a soft referbishment in years they are a bit on the tired side. My room was clean, not particularly big and comfortable enough. The bed, was actually the best bit as it was done with top notch sheets and a cuddly duvet. The mattress was fairly new or at least felt it.

The bathroom was ok - clean with great towels but hot water and water pressure were lacking.

Wifi is exhorbitantly expensive - 20 Euros a day - I skipped it...

Breakfast is likewise very expensive. I had it once and it was a good spread but not worth the 25 Euros they were charging unless you were planning to eat enough not to want to eat more for the rest of the day.

All in all if you want a good 5 star hotel in Frankfurt you can do better.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Rachellejv
IC-Frankfurt, General Manager at InterContinental Frankfurt, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Mrs Rachellejv
thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are sorry that you did not have a overall satisfied stay with us. We will discuss your mentioned points with the involved departments. From January 2014 the internet is free of charge for all member of IHG Rewards Club.
We thank you again and wish you all the best.
Best regards Martin Driskell, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed here for two nights in November. The hotel was full so it's always going to expose any stresses.

Check in and out were quick and efficient, if you avoided the rush periods, and the staff were friendly enough.

The rooms themselves are a little on the small side, and the decor is very 1990's, nice enough but certainly not the calm neutral tones one expects. The bathroom in particular seemed to be showing some signs of wear and tear and was also quite small. One bonus is that it is possible to open the windows in the room to let fresh air in. This was needed as when I was there the heating and air conditioning was not functioning properly and the rooms were hot. This was something the hotel was working on, but was a significant disappointment.

Other than that the only other issue is the cost, but it is in Frankfurt....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank gwaredd
Dear guest gwaredd
thank you very much for sharing your detailed feedback. We will discuss your mentioned heating issue with the technical department. You point about the room size will monitored with our owning company.
We look forward to welcome you again.
best regards Martin Driskell, General Manager
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Had a 3 night stay in a Panoramic suite. Bed comfortable and having two TVs and bathrooms was a bonus. Service was good and breakfast had everything we wanted. If I was heading back to Frankfurt I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Indytv
IC-Frankfurt, General Manager at InterContinental Frankfurt, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear guest Inditv
Dear guest Anat 100
we thank you for the top rating after your stay with us in one of our Panorama suites.We are delighted to read that we are your preferred hotel in Frankfurt. We look forward to welcome you again and we wish you and your family a Merry Chrismas and a Happy new Year! Best regards Martin Driskell, General Manager
Helsinki
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I spent 2 nights at InterContinental Frankfurt, traveling on business. I love this hotel!
The rooms are large and very comfortable, the staff is great kin to please the guests, the breakfast is full of choices, the hotel facility is highly maintained - what else do I need?
Great hotel great staff, gets my best ranking, 100% value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Anat100
Dear guest Anat 100
we thank you for the top rating after your stay with us! We are happy to read that we got your best rating! We look forward to welcome you again and we wish you and your family a Merry Chrismas and a Happy new Year! Best regards Martin Driskell, General Manager
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had two minor problems upon arrival, but other than this, we had one of the best stays, if not the best ever. I had booked a Club level room. There are about 12 of these on each of the 19th and 20th floors, I think. As a Platinum Ambassador, I received my one level guaranteed upgrade at the time of booking and was assigned one of the 6 Club suites: 2 on each end of the 19th floor and 2 on the south end of the 20th floor. The Presidential suite is on the north end of the 20th floor. The Club Lounge is on the 21st and top floor along with a convention/conference room area. We were in Room 2016, possibly the 2nd best room in the hotel; this room faced the river and was directly below the lounge although I never heard any noise from above or really anywhere. One of the problems we had upon arrival was the temperature of the room. It was November 30, and the air was turned off. A hotel of this caliber should keep the a/c on all year as they do at the IC Marceau in Paris. The room was very hot and stuffy; fortunately, we could open the windows. There were signs warning not to because of bugs, but I think this applies only in warmer months. Since we were so high, there was no noise from outside so we were able to be a bit more comfortable, but I found the lounge at the right temperature so there must have been a/c there? The second problem concerned the electrical outlets. There were two types: the standard European one with two round prongs and a weird one with 3 rectangular prongs. All of the lighting had the unusual configuration. One side of the bed had the standard European outlet so the lamp on that side wasn’t plugged in, and its wire was just dangling behind. Christian B, who was one of the best guest relation managers I’ve ever met, was even stumped when I showed him. I have a universal converter, and it didn’t work in the lamp outlets so this must have been some relic from the past! (Pre World War II antiques, perhaps??). That is it for negatives. The room was huge. Upon entry, there was a short hallway on the right leading to a half bath (sink and toilet). Along the hallway was a coat closet with a much appreciated safe. The living room had a desk, sofa, two comfortable chairs, a coffee table, and a huge television. There were many channels in many languages available. Free Wifi is available for IHG Club members, and it worked well most of the time. It sometimes took a few tries to get my phone set up. (I leave my cell phone in airplane mode the whole time I’m in Europe so I don’t get any data or roaming charges). Because of my status, there was a bottle of red wine and a fruit basket (apples, Clementines, and bananas), some peanuts plus a piece of bread and two jars of jam. We packed the unopened jam to bring home but ate the fruit and nuts. We left the bread. In the bedroom, there was a large bottle of water; we received a second bottle of water the second day. The bedroom had a nice, comfortable king sized bed, a dresser, and more. The bathroom was huge and had a tub, sink area, a shower big enough for 3-4, and a separate toilet room. Typical, top notch amenities were provided in both bathrooms. Due to my Platinum Ambassador status, I receive a voucher for a “Stay 2 nights, Pay for one, Weekend night voucher” each year. I can stay Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday and only pay for the first night. This made the stay even more fantastic since I got all of this for 199 euro!!!
We frequented the Club Lounge often. Sarah P (evenings) and Stella W (mornings) were great hostesses and took care of everything. Sarah provided great conversation since we were usually the only 2 guests in the lounge. In the morning, there was a buffet with breads, cheeses, plus bacon and sausage and scrambled eggs. Made to order omelets and fried eggs were also available and delivered hot and promptly. At lunch time, they had a soup plus breads but no cheeses. In the evening, they provided a light dinner. There was one main dish: chicken the first night and fish the second plus a side: potatoes the first night and rice the second. There was also an assortment of breads, cheeses, and small, 1-2 bite size desserts. Beer, wine, water, and soft drinks were always available, and in the late afternoon/early evening, there were 4-5 bottles of liquor including Bombay Gin and Johnny Walker Scotch plus a bottle of German sparkling wine. We had lots of wine. Supposedly the lounge is available 24 hours a day, but we never visited after 10 pm or before 7 am so not sure how that is handled (if someone is there or if it’s honor system??). My only complaint with the lounge was the choice of radio music some of the time. It was one with mostly American teenage/punk music with bad words like “m-f”. Sarah changed the station one evening when I asked her so we got to listen to some Christmas music instead, which was more peaceful. We didn’t want to leave the hotel because of the room and the lounge, but we did want to explore Frankfurt since this was our 1st visit. We walked to the old city and took #1 TripAdvisor rated tour: “Foot Tours” and had a great time with Sam and 10 others. Afterwards, 7 of us, including Sam, went to the Paulaner restaurant (there will be a separate review for both the tour and the restaurant so I won’t say anything more except do the tour and eat/drink at the restaurant).
In conclusion, I give this hotel a 4.9+. The location is great and is just a few hundred meters/yards from the Hauptbahnhof. The old town is an easy walk along the river. I have never received so much room space, service, food, and drink for the price. I don’t know why anyone would not become a Platinum Ambassador and take advantage of these benefits. Going forward, I will always try to book a room with Club access unless the price is just too outrageous. We have already booked one with my partner’s at the Intercontinental Le Grand in Paris for January. It’s a bit more than 199 euro (almost twice as much), but if it has the same benefits and rewards, it will be worth it for Paris, but it’s going to be hard to top the service and personal attention that we received at the Intercontinental Frankfurt. I have to say that they even outdid the staff at the Intercontinental Marceau in Paris where we stayed about 11 months ago and will also stay in January (2 nights with points), but they don’t have a lounge or a very large staff so the IC Frankfurt was overwhelming in a good way with attention from everyone. Frankfurt is on our short list for a return visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IC-Frankfurt, General Manager at InterContinental Frankfurt, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear guest Disney Paris
it is our pleasure and great honour to have you as such a loyal customer and future frequent guest staying with us. We highly much appreciate that we made your stay memorable. We all say a Big Thank You to you! Hope to see you soon back in Frankfurt and I look forward to say Hello to you. with best regards Martin Driskell, General Manager
Protem, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I had a flight arriving in Frankfurt at about 7:00 AM and was afraid I would not be able to check in immediately. No problem there as we were escorted directly to our very nice room with a wonderful view of the city and Main River. We fell asleep fully clothed and upon awakening several hours later found that a nice tray of fruit had been delivered. Everything about the room was high grade. I can recall nothing to criticize. A full breakfast was included with the rental. The breakfast had so much variety it reminded me of a luxury cruise ship. If I was again in Frankfurt, I would certainly stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest rward307
we thank you for the extreme high performance rating of our hotel. Myself and the entire hotel team say thank you for the honest feedback.
We look forward to welcome you back once again at the InterContinental Frankfurt.
best regards Martin Driskell, General Manager
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed 1 night to visit Xmas markets. From the outside the hotel is disappointing, but once you walk in the doors this all changes. Check in was very efficient with plenty of info given about the area. Our room was a club studio on the 19th floor. The room was very spacious an had a separate sitting area. The views of the river were great. The club room was of a good size, drinks and a few snacks were available all day, then rice and a hot dish in the evening. The only info we could not find is when it closed, the spirits were put away but wine and beer appeared to still be available. A little info in the room would be good as what is available when.
Breakfast wasn't a large amount, breads, cheese, fruit yoghurt, sausage, egg and bacon, then omelettes to order, but there was plenty for us and tasty.
For those that want peace and quiet do be aware children were allowed in the lounge, there were a few families when we were there, some a little noisy, but nothing over the top. One family with younger children moved into the computer room, good ideas unless someone wanted to use it for work.
Checkout was also very efficient.
I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest George8052
thank you very much for writing your excellent review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us on the Club Level. We look forward to welcome you once back.
With best regards Martin Driskell, General Manager