“Nice part of Frankfurt, busy hotel”

InterContinental Frankfurt
Ranked #35 of 269 Hotels in Frankfurt
Verona, New Jersey
“Nice part of Frankfurt, busy hotel”
Reviewed 19 February 2011

I was not familiar with this part of Frankfurt until I stayed here, but this hotel was in a very nice location, within a few minutes walk to the older part of town and very close to the river. The hotel itself was very busy and crowded, but the staff checked me in right away and the room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was expensive (but this is true in most European hotels; either the breakfast is included in the room price or it is an exhorbitant extra charge) but tasty. We were able to use the business center in the lobby for free -- we held a conference call in a private office-like setting and it worked very well for us. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Antwerpen
Reviewed 16 February 2011

As in many of Big city hotels this one in not an exception. Outdated and overpriced. Dirty chair in the room, old-fashioned furniture, spots on the walls, low noise isolation... sorry, not for that price. Bar next to the reception extremely expensive! Nevertheless, very helpful and great staff!

Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Incredibly disappointed with this hotel. The rooms, while clean, are smaller than a cabin on a cruise ship. My bathroom is 6 feet x 5 feet. I'm here for 3 days/4 nights and am on 3rd floor overlooking the bloody air conditioners units. No facilities to speak of - no spa, no pool, weak gym, etc. No wireless in rooms, just lobby and the TV sets are from the early 1990's.

Overall achitecture is eastern block. I made the choice based on it being an "Intercontinental" hotel. Last time I assume they're all the "Carlton" in Cannes.

Virtually all of the above is trivial and something for which I can survive, but when they knock on your door when the "do not disturb" sign is out - that's when you've lowered your standards to less than a Holiday Inn.

Feeling duped...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
IC-Frankfurt, General Manager at InterContinental Frankfurt, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Dear User brianterk,

first of all I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to communicate your experiences during your stay in our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies for disturbing you although you have placed the DND-sign. We certainly respect the privacy of our guests and please be assured, that we will investigate in this matter to avoid similar occurrences in future.

Due to the booking situation we were unfortunately not able to give you one of our many guest rooms with a spectacular view over the skyline of Frankfurt or over the river Main.

I sincerely hope that you will give us the chance to demonstrate the high standards you can rightfully expect from an InterContinental Hotel. Therefore we would like to get in direct contact with you.

With renewed apologies I remain,
With best regards

Stefan Frank
Resident Manager / Hoteldirektor
Erlangen
Reviewed 10 February 2011

I enjoyed my short stay in this hotel in Frankfurt. The hotel is close to the central station. Hence, the location was very convenient for me as I traveling by ICE to Munich next day. There was no free wifi available in the rooms. This was the only negative about the hotel. So, I felt the hotel was a bit expensive. The rooms were quite and nice. The staff was warm and friendly.

Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
Reviewed 8 February 2011

This was my second stay with InterContinental Frankfurt, this time in a “deluxe room” facing city.

The room itself was a little disappointing in terms of quality. It is a tad dated and in need of renovations. I must stress that the room and furnishings were very clean, but the interior reminded more of a Holiday Inn.

Despite this being a deluxe room, in hierarchy only a step down from their Club Rooms, there were no bathrobes, slippers or large amenity box (only the small square with bare essentials). There is no ironing board in the room but this and bathrobe was delivered within minutes of requesting it. A flower arrangement was on the desk which was noticed favourably as it does give the room a bit more warmth.

The bathroom is clean but small. The bathtub disappointing as it was (or at least seemed) smaller than the usual standard size bathtub. Fabric shower curtain, so be creative for it not to stick to you while showering.

The minibar is automatic and well stocked and has a top shelf for personal items.

My room was one removed from the elevators. I have not figured out of the constant whooshing sound was from the elevators or strong winds outside but suspect it may have been elevators. Soundproofing is not quite good as you can hear anything and everything happening outside the door.

Windows do open. There’s a request to keep the windows closed as much as possible to avoid mosquitoes entering in the summertime.

The general area of the hotel is spacious and I always found an open elevator on the ground floor, so waits are minimal.

I was offered access to the club lounge which is spacious and separated into half a sitting area and half with tables and chairs. A buffet breakfast is offered with warm items and a good variety of cold options. Plenty of juices and refrigerated drinks as well as a great variety of teas and espresso machine are available. In the evening canapés and even a warm meal is offered which contrasts in a positive way to other IC Club Lounges which offer less.

The staff seems to be the biggest asset here. Concierge was a bit grumpy when handing over an umbrella but the check-in staff and guest relations staff in the Club Lounge were accommodating, friendly and helpful.

Overall and objectively I can recommend this hotel. There are a few inconveniences but made up by other positive factors. It is not up to the standard in furnishings and “feel good” atmosphere as the IC in Cologne or Berlin but sufficient for a brief stay.

1 Thank canandorra
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights, on business (Messe). Made my choice based on the very nice price/quality ratio, taking into consideration the trade fair period.

Rooms:
One of the main cons of my stay there - had a room on 17th floor, facing the city (skyscrapers), but with two! connecting doors. The noise was coming from the doors every evening / night, which was certainly unpleasant. The room is quite big, the bed was good, enough pillows. Tea/coffee set, safe, bathrobe. Bathroom was fine. Another small dissapointment - you can't switch off the light in the room from the bed)) BTW, in-room LAN internet was free of charge.

Location:
Just minutes from the main train station. Taxi from airport ±23 Euro, to Messe ±8 Euro, to downtown ±7 Euro.

Food: charge for breakfast is 31 Euro (if not included into the room rate), I preffered to eat outside.

Directions:
Mosch-Mosch noodle bar 3 mins walk - cross the street (from the river wing), turn left and walk 200-300m forward. The average price for big ramen is 8 Euro.

Leon's Italian restaurant - situated in the city wing of the hotel. Crowdy. Booking is highly recommended. Good deserts, the rest is nothing special.

All in all, the hotel is quite good for the price they offer. Certainly not a 5*star, but if you want to save some money it could be your option.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Staff were lovely, although the barman was overly suggestive to my female colleague and I when we sat down to have a snack. After exploring the surrounding area, we discovered we were surrounded by sex shops, tackyness and leering men, so unless you are looking for this, I suggest another area of the city. The rooms were clean and quite nice, but the decor looked at least 15yrs old, with peeling wallpaper and scuff marks on the walls/furniture. Not what I expected from a 5 star hotel. The other big problem, and the reason I will not return here or recommend it, is that although it was January and freezing outside, the room was unbearably hot - even with all the heating turned off. The window only opened slightly and although we tried to sleep with it open (and therefore noisy), the stuffy atmosphere kept us awake and very uncomfortable for 2 nights. Checking out took ages too, and BEWARE of your bar bill when settling the bill... we were charged for moving drinks about when looking at flavours etc. They did take off what we said we hadn't drunk.
Fantastic shower and Elemis freebies, but overall disappointing.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business