“bed bugs!”
Review of Hotel Elbe

Hotel Elbe
Ranked #240 of 271 Hotels in Frankfurt
Reviewed 12 February 2009

Opon arriving to the hotel we were welcomed by a rude old man at reception, I let it go. Opon entering the room found we had two single beds not the double we had booked, I let it go. The next day I was itchy all over and on inspection I found myself covered in bites. Dont stay here. for the price it would be better to go to a backpackers

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank eliwallis

Reviewed 12 December 2008

We booked this hotel as it was near to all the places of interest.I went with 4 other female friends to vist the Xmas Markets.

After reading the review i was slightly worried about the area but had an open mind.
we were expecting to be in the middle of the red light area so when we arrived it wasn't such a shock.Yes the hotel is opposite some unsavoury places however throughout our stay we were not bothered at all by passers by or effected by the noise,in fact we found it quite amusing looking out the window!!

We found the receptionist freindly and helpful.The room was modern,a good size and clean.The beds were comfortable and the breakfast was good.
The price we found to be very reasonable and if we were to go back then we would certainly return here.
If you are looking for a base to be in the heart of the city then this is the place to stay.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank KymLeicestershire
Reviewed 28 October 2008

The worst hotel receptionists I ever dealt with. Hotel tried to jack up the price as I checked in and I duly refused. Booked with hostelbookers at a fixed rate and paid 10% booking fee to them. And was asked to pay back the hotel the booking fee when checking in! Hostelbookers didn't take the issue with the hotel as I informed them afterwards. Was rudely refused by the then receptionist to speak with the owner or manager on the spot and was later charged for no show by the hotel!!! Dodgy clientele. I saw the room and it is very small. In an area (red-light district) not very well lit. Book and stay at your own risk.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank traveller00001
Reviewed 17 July 2008

After a nine hour plane flight and a walk with ridiculously clumsy baggage across a steaming hot city, all we wanted was a place to drop our bags and fall onto a bed, preferably never to get up again. And even with expectations that low (at the time) we were very dissappointed with the hotel. Coming to the hotel we found ourselves in a street with nightclubs and prostitutes, and upon entering, the hotel was very small and very modernicity-lacking. At the reception, we were greeted and given a key, after which we made our way up to our room. Imagine our surprise when walking into our room there was coca cola cans on the bedtable, somebody's loofa in the bathroom, obviously no clean towels and the sheets were not changed. Suspecting that somebody might still be living in the room, and knowing that it obviously hasn't been cleaned, we came back to the reception to inform the too-casually dressed receptionist of our not-cleaned room, to which he had the nerve to ask "What makes you think it hasn't been cleaned?". Finally having gotten a key to a clean room, we were somewhat at peace. However, the hotel is placed in a nightclub district, so there are prostitues and very questionable individuals outside at night. The room was not air conditioned. Perhaps I have expectations much too high, but where I come from, a place like Elbe would be shut down in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank blueberryICE
Reviewed 25 January 2008

I choosed this hotel taking into account the proximity to the central station as I'd arrived to FRA by plane and would leave the following morning to Hannover by train.
The hotel is located only 3 blocks from the train station, so it's OK if you're travelling alone or with friends and need to be near the public transport for a short period stay. It's no recomendable for families for the neighborhood is not very safe, although I guess it was that specific street since further up I could find fine restaurants and shops.
The room was small as well as the bathroom and there was no cable on the TV. It all looked very dated and dark. The breakfast, included on the price, was less than OK, but for the price paid I could not ask for more.
The recepcionist (a Tunisian) was very helpful and gentle (even lent me an electricity conversor so I didn't have to go and buy one when I saw that I couldn't charge my Ipod).
I would recommend this hotel for a short stay mainly for its good location.
Luis M., Caracas-Venezuela

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2007

I had booked flight to Germany to visit friends when plans I made for
accommodation fell thru I had to make late minute hotel reservations.
Being that I had never been to Frankfurt before and was not driving I
wanted to stay somewhere that was close to public transport. I called
Expedia and was offered 3*Hotel Elbe. The price sounded right (about £25 per night) and it was close to the Main Train Station so I took it.

As I flew in to Frankfurt Hahn Airport which is about 1hr 30mins drive from Frankfurt Main Airport I took a bus in (12 euros one-way). Thankfully this bus took me all the way to Main Train Station.
The Hotel was about 7min walk from where the bus drops off. When I arrived the first thing I noticed was the amount of strip clubs and sex shop around. I was obviously in a red light district. However it was also the main financial district (weird but understandable) so It wasn't seedy.

Hotel Elbe it self was pleasant. Being a young non- German speaking female of colour I was concerned that I wouldn’t feel comfortable in the surroundings. On the contrary staff was extremely welcoming, accommodating and genuine. Going out of there way to make sure I was comfortable and looked after. Also the room came with complimentary breakfast which was a combination of continental and hot foods. Again regardless off what time I arose each day (never before 10am) staff made sure I had access to the full spread of fresh breakfast.
The room was cosy but extremely clean and well maintained. Towels were changed daily and the heating was controllable in each room. Even though I am all of 5ft 1ins I found the beds a little on the small side but I managed. The big plus for me was the most amazing power shower. The pressure from it was blissful I often spent an extra 5 mins in the shower just cause it felt so good.

The area aside from the red light options had a lot to offer with a range of different restaurants and shops to choose from not to mention the convenience of the train station across the street which links to the rest of Europe i.e. Denmark, Holland etc. I would recommend this hotel for persons without children on short trips looking for basic, comfortable, cost effective accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 12 September 2007

Well- I learnt a valuable lesson for the future-always read the reviews of previous visitors! This place should be shut down! I have no idea where their promotional pictures were taken but they were certainly not of the (expensive) double room I had booked. The room was small-but clean- with furniture reminiscent of east europe in the 1970s. No telephone in the room. The bathroom was miniscule and built for a contortionist- you have to sit on the toilet with your knees under the washbasin. Tiles wre missing and the whole bathroom "ambience" was one of grubbiness.
But the worst part of the stay was the fact that this section of Elbestrasse is the centre of the Frankfurt red light district. Prostitutes parade on a 24 hour basis. The 3 strip clubs directly across the street really come to life at 4am. Drug dealers and addicts fill the noise vacuum between 4am and 8am by their shouts and screams. Need I go on..... Everything written by others on this hotel should be taken as a true reflection.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family